removing snare from overheads?

Since this is a metal forum I will list the process that I go about for rock tracks for fixing timings. Note, there are lots of other good applications for the AudioSnap process if you are doing other styles like Rap or Electronic music.

First off, how to get AudioSnap set up.
When you are on the track view page, if you are trying to fix your snare track, right click on the visual representation of the wav for your snare. In the mini menu that pops up goto AudioSnap and then click on enable AudioSnap. Now the AudioSnap pallette will show up with lots of goodies depending on what you will be doing. the first two things you want to look at and set up are the sensitivity and threshold sliders. These set up your transient markers by specifying what it takes for the program to put and marker where you want them. After you have fooled around with the settings to get your hits marked it is time to do the actuall sliding of snare hits to the correct place, so go ahead and close the little AudioSnap pallette window.

Back on the track view, find the first time that your snare is not at the timing that you want. With the transient markers there are a few things that you can do. at the top of the lines there are small diamonds that when you click and drag them you can manually set where your marker is supposed to sit on the track without affecting the actuall timing of the hits. This is not what you want to do unless for some reason Sonar did not correctly locate the transient of your snare. The second thing you can do with the markers is what we will be looking at. If you grab the middle of the marker in the center related to top and bottom you can also drag your marker ahead or behind in time. This time when you are moving your marker you are actually moving where the hit is located at and where the marker is located now. Once you have done this for all of the snare hits that you want corrected, you are ready to fix any other tracks that the snare is aparent in and would normally create an echo if you didn't fix.

Right click on your snare track and go back into the AudioSnap pallette menu. Up in the top left corner of the window you will see four icons. The third from the left, I believe, is the button to add transient markers to a pool. You want to do precisely that at this point. What you have done in essence is to create a guide tempo track. Right click on the first auxilary track that needs to have the snare hits moved in time with the actual snare track and right click on it. You want to enable AudioSnap for this travk also which will bring up the AudioSnap pallette window again. This time we will be using the settings that are below where we added the transients to the pool before. The option that we want to choose is to quantize to pool. Once you click on quanitze to pool you will see more options on the right side of the window with settings to determine how precise you want to quantize your track. In all but on case I have done I make sure that I am quantizing to 100% because you want it to be perfectly in line with your actual snare track to eliminate the echo. Once this is done you click on the quantize button in the botton right corner and Sonar will do its thing and move bits of the track to the points that you moved your snare track hits. Just do the same procedure for the other tracks where snare is noticable and you have done it.

As you will see when you go through this process, it is not difficult or time consuming. What does take a little while is making sure that your transients are set up will enough that other things in your OH tracks are not getting moved also. I'm sure there are some things that I forgot to add that will make this and easier process and I will edit and add to this when I get back infront of my computer at work and actually look at Sonar again.

PS. another trick which I forgot to include originally which is extremely hit or miss is to enable AudioSnap for everytrack that you will be editing and the left click on the hit on your snare track, then ctrl-left click on the same transient on the other tracks that need editing. This will allow you to drag the transients for every track at the same time and may be extremely fast if you only have a hit or two to edit.

PPS. when you need to do fine tuning for timing of hits you will notice that you have to move a little ways away before the transient will begin to move. If you hold down or are still holding down the ctrl button you can fine tune how far you need to move hits.

So nobody ever fixes snare tracks to line up perfect to bars??

It seems to me that the one detail you're completely missing, is the fact that you need to slice up and move the OH tracks WITH the snare hits that you move around. To do this (in Pro Tools), you'll need to put the snare and OH tracks in an Edit group so that you can't edit one track without editing the other simultaneously. Chop up your stuff and slide it into time. If you're going to replace the snare 100%, then don't worry about the gaps left over on the real snare track. But for OH, just drag out some audio back over the gaps and then crossfade it. You can experiment with different lengths of crossfades too, for different situations. Also, sometimes you can steal a little piece of OH audio from a different place in the song where the drummer is playing the same beat or hitting the cymbals at the same rate, and paste that in and crossfade it appropriately. You'll be surprised at what you can get away with on the OH tracks!

But the thing is, if you make a cut in the OHs and drag them back during a section, there won't be any audio to crossfade after that part. There will be a blank space with no actual audio to cover it. All I can imagine is either stealing a cymbal fade from another section, or just using time stretching to connect the two sections up. What's everyone's way of doing it?

Thanks Arron i was waiting for you to chime in i know you knew something on this subject. I figured out what you said the hard way and i actually took Andy's advice and got into beat detective and actually am using that to get everything in time including the overheads and i am pretty surprised what I'm getting away with on the overhead track!!

Yep once its all faded in though it sounds just as good as it did before actually better cause its in perfect time!! The only thing that sucks is that I'm doing all this for the snare and now I'm gonna have to go back and edit overheads to kicks maybe unless just cutting 600hz and below on overheads will pull it off!!

Yea as far as i know i can only do 1 track of beat detective at a time which is slow process but i was struggling when i sliced all the hits up and was trying to move everything by hand it was a little overwhelming and i would lose were i was and were shit was supposed to be going so any more help on this would be cool maybe some tips and tricks if you got em!!

so,
for me it was to many stuff to read so I only write my comment and hope it helps.

Getting kick out of overheads is very simple.
Getting snare out of overheads is quit impossible.

When you editing snare toms . . . just move the ambience and overhead with it.

When you have a groove : hats+kick hats snare+ hats hats......
and the snare is wrong cut everything and move it right.
When you have free space in your overhead and ambience then you have to put something similar in the place and crossfade it.

This is how i do it and this is how it works for me.

Ps.: when I record a drummer I always say first: Fuck off the bassdrum.

Bassdrum is easy to edit. But be carefull of your arms. Try to make everthing great.

And when the drummer said : man you have triggers come on I wanna sound like pantera, black dahlia murder. ... .

Say the truth: When the guy cant play take ezdrummer. As an engineer or someone like me trying to become one you only cant make silver to gold.

You cant make shit smelling great:)

As an engineer or someone like me trying to become one you only cant make silver to gold.

You cant make shit smelling great:)

You've got it totally right, in my opinion. I think Andy added a really good point too (in an interview), when he basically said that a recorded version of a song is supposed to be THE definitive version of that song...so if a little cheating is necessary to get it there, so be it. The band will be at a loss for it, not the engineer.
There are situations that can't be controlled, and no one wants to have their name associated with a recorded performance that sounds kind of sloppy or just flat-out bad.