kicks in the overheads

daemon097

Nov 12, 2003
southern california
Visit site
so - I'm recording my band, and I noticed that I got a lot of kick drum sound in the overheads...and why is another issue (as I'm not sure what i did differently to cause this..), but is that something that happens to you guys? and are there any tricks to get rid of 'em?

thanks!

well, that's the thing. I am running a high pass filter @ about 650hz...but, what it ends up sounding like is some clicking in the overheads....and there are some sections of the drums I would like to fix, but if I do that, there ends up being sections that sound kind of wierd because the kicks coming out of the overheads do not match the triggered kick drum sound...

not always a bad thing mate, do what these guys said and throw a hpf over them if you need for separation... i love having a full kit sound from my overheads for those moments you wanna really squeeze or distort 'em or something cool like that

Yo

C.

and there are some sections of the drums I would like to fix, but if I do that, there ends up being sections that sound kind of wierd because the kicks coming out of the overheads do not match the triggered kick drum sound...

the only way to fix this is to do what is essentially a manual beat detective,

first group all your drums together for editing ease, presuming you can that is.
then cut them on the beats that need fixing.
Align them to the grid. then extend the ends of the regions before and after to fill the gaps.
then crossfade the transitions to take out editing clicks.
its a fucking nause, but it works.......
but then again thats why i use pro tools for all my professional turd polishing purposes!!

hmmm....well, I can group them together....although, I don't see how doing the above procedure can remove the kick drum hits out of the overheads....unless i'm not understanding this procedure correctly..

yea - I guess I could record the drums again....I guess that makes sense for why all the pictures i've ever seen have blankets over the kick drums...

I've always seen it as natural in a mix for the kick and snare to come through on the OHs, even if you heavily high pass. After the close-miced tracks come in, the issue becomes negligible to me. There are no issues in a full mix.

If you're extremely pedantic, you can use the procedure that greyskull outlined, but be prepared to put your social life on hold while you spend a year of your life taking out those clicks.

greyskull said:
the only way to fix this is to do what is essentially a manual beat detective,

first group all your drums together for editing ease, presuming you can that is.
then cut them on the beats that need fixing.
Align them to the grid. then extend the ends of the regions before and after to fill the gaps.
then crossfade the transitions to take out editing clicks.
its a fucking nause, but it works.......
but then again thats why i use pro tools for all my professional turd polishing purposes!!

It seems you have the "magic" (and Pro Tools) to do so.:worship: Can you give us "normal lives" a example of that procedure in pictures and sound?
Would be very interesting.:headbang:

Moonlapse said:
If you're extremely pedantic, you can use the procedure that greyskull outlined, but be prepared to put your social life on hold while you spend a year of your life taking out those clicks.

Well, shouldn't some kind of "transient designer" plugin take care of those?
Like Waves TransX, for example? It can successfully "kill" the spikes...

daemon097 said:
so - I'm recording my band, and I noticed that I got a lot of kick drum sound in the overheads...and why is another issue (as I'm not sure what i did differently to cause this..), but is that something that happens to you guys? and are there any tricks to get rid of 'em?

thanks!

Well done! you have captured a true representation of what a drum kit sounds like.

not true in all cases :loco: i mean i like to have the drumkit sound pretty natural but still sit consistently in the mix, i'd love to have the chance of mixing a real miced up kit, but at the moment all i have the chance to mix is a dfhs drumkit.

Frank'nfurter said:
It seems you have the "magic" (and Pro Tools) to do so.:worship: Can you give us "normal lives" a example of that procedure in pictures and sound?
Would be very interesting.:headbang:

hey! you can do the afforementioned social life ending drum tightening in any d.a.w, thats why i described it the way i did, although fuck foing it in cubum for a game of cards, in vegas, maybe!

hmmm....well, I can group them together....although, I don't see how doing the above procedure can remove the kick drum hits out of the overheads....unless i'm not understanding this procedure correctly..

i wasnt trying to describe a way of removing the kick here, just a way of fixing the drums so they're in time with your samples!

Razorjack said:
LMAO!! That's so true!! :lol:

Sad.

I do like natural sounding drums.

~I don't mind the whole DFHS thing as long as I got a decent pair of room mics a nice properly tuned kit and a good drummer to play around with.

Technology is making the whole thing very easy, sterile and not-interesting.

This is of course, my opinion.

You are confusing me....

The kick after a HPF should not be that loud in the OH's. A good trigger will completley mask it. Are you sure you have y our triggering method setup correctly.

Another option is to use a limiter to tuck the hits.

chadsxe said:
You are confusing me....

The kick after a HPF should not be that loud in the OH's. A good trigger will completley mask it. Are you sure you have y our triggering method setup correctly.

Another option is to use a limiter to tuck the hits.

If it really sucks, feed the limiter with a sidechain of the kixs, f ast release.
It helped me a few times to save a bad recorded/bad hitting drummer.:yuk:

well, I am using the high pass filter, and basically the kick drum isn't as heard as much as it is without it - that's obvious. however, what it does sound like is like a clicking noise.

Now, if I want to fix a section of kick drums, I notice that I can hear the new kick drum (which yes, is obviously much louder than the clicks coming from the overheads), however, I can also hear the clicks coming from the overheads because they do not match with the kick drum hits.)

Since the overheads are picking up various cymbols during this section of music, I don't exactly know what I can do to remove the kicks from the overheads...atleast so much as to not be as noticable in the mix with I do fix a section of drums.

What's funny - is I recorded my band awhile ago with sm57s as overheads (that's all I had), and I recently listened back to those recordings, and I didn't have this problem. I am of course using pretty decently condensers now - so maybe they just pick up a whole lot more.

The idea of covering the kick drum makes sense...in fact, i've seen tons of people do that, and I guess it now makes sense why.

Also, I guess the other alternative is to record the drums/cymbols separately like that one engineer guy did (I don't rememebr his name, but I remember reading it on here awhile ago...)