Andy: snare in overheads

Im about to start a session this weekend and Im going to spot mic each cymbol and use overheads and possibly room mics so that I can compare and see what works best. Ive normally just used rooms and overheads before band wanna try spot micing but want a backup incase the results I get dont work for the band.

Moonlapse said:
What part of the ride do you normally mic, and from which angle? Underneath, above, 90 degrees? Got a session coming up and I haven't had a chance to experiment much.

Do you guys feel that OHs cut it for 'metal' stuff? Do you preffer the up-front sound of close-micing cymbals, or do you feel OHs are adequate?

My biggest qualm with OHs is that I usually only want the cymbals, and not room, so I'll be filtering the living hell out of them.

Hi there.
There's a lot of ride on the OH usually, but you should place a seperate mic for the case it's not present enough.
I tried to mic it very close from underneath pointing at the bell and it was good. I turned the phase also. You can seperate the ride pretty good that way, only the low tom is there, but that's pretty easy to cut off.

I like that crystal-clear ride sound, it can be very important in extreme "ting-ting-ting-ting" metal. I usually have some trouble not with the low frequencies of the FT, but the high "smack" frequencies. I'm usually able to EQ/gate them off, but it can be a real pain in the ass.

Thanks for the tips, folks. I'll try the goosenecks and to invert the phase if the mic is underneath, never tried that.

LynchpiN said:
I usually ask the drummer to lift his cymbals as high as he can play, and place the mics not too close to the cymbals. If there's still too much leak, I'll point the overheads outside the kit.

That's really not such a hot idea, for the drummers sake... having to lift your arms to hit cymbals effects your stamina and can possibly cause injury.

Thanks for the tip, Frank.

Hopkins, I agree with you, but it depends on the drummer. Is as high "as he can play", so he don't have to fight to hit the cymbals, of course.

I usually recommend drummers to train themselves along time to gradually lift the cymbals for the sound sake. If he likes it only in jazz style, low cymbals, we'll work this way. Nothing radical really.

LynchpiN said:
I usually recommend drummers to train themselves along time to gradually lift the cymbals for the sound sake. If he likes it only in jazz style, low cymbals, we'll work this way. Nothing radical really.

I did that some years ago, along with other changes like using heavier and thicker sticks, hitting harder, raising the angle of the toms, etc. It has improved my playing style a LOT! Before that I used to have the cymbals so they were juuuuust above the toms (toms that were also pointing kind of straight to my chest). I would recommend these changes to ANY drummer. It just takes a couple of days to get used to.