OVERHEADS

CatharsisStudios

trcksngsrpbngs
Jun 25, 2008
so i think this is super important cause i've been doing less of the highpassing on overheads cause it fucks with the phase when i need a bigger drum sound, but i've been shelving cause its very nice and doesn't cause crazy phase issues

i also now boost like 110 on drums and really use the low end to glue my snare sound together

big fan of LDC’s for the main picture of the whole kit. As a kind of backup I’ll use SDC’s for spot mics that are really only there to bring out detail and crispness to cymbals.

I’ll be a lot more brutal with the SDC’s as far as filtering, automating/strip silence etc as they’re really just there to reinforce cymbal detail we aren’t getting from the main OH mics.

I actually think of things in a similar way for drum room mics; I really HAVE to have several different options that I blend together. It’s only really when I find a balance of various distances, some crush/trash mics, maybe a compressed one that I can get a complete balance of the kit that I like, with the appropriate punch across all elements. I love the idea of the entire room sound coming from one or a pair of mics, but I think for what I’m looking for, it needs to be a blend of the best bits.

i am getting about 90% of my snare sound from my overheads these days and room and also sending those channels to the reverb cla style instead of close mics

so i think this is super important cause i've been doing less of the highpassing on overheads cause it fucks with the phase when i need a bigger drum sound, but i've been shelving cause its very nice and doesn't cause crazy phase issues

i also now boost like 110 on drums and really use the low end to glue my snare sound together

Yeah I don't know what's happened in the last year or so, but I've basically stopped highpassing overheads unless they have weird super low sub shit in them. It is interesting too that I don't find the need to scoop all that 500hz and below shit anymore, and I'm fine with it.

big fan of LDC’s for the main picture of the whole kit. As a kind of backup I’ll use SDC’s for spot mics that are really only there to bring out detail and crispness to cymbals.

Yeah I still ove LDC's for overheads, although the current room I use kind of sucks for them so I end up using SDC's a lot more.

What are you guys doing for patterns/setups these days? I think last time we talked Ryan you were an ORTF guy weren't you?

Yeah you can definitely get some cool 200hz snare stuff from the OH's. Still tending to do a spaced pair with snare in center.

I'm going in on the china/hat/ride/splash with supercardioid SDC's to get the isolation and detail.

I'm still using SDC's so I'm getting a lot of snare sound from my room and close mics, I'm really thinking about investing in either some LDC's or Ribbons (mainly because Ribbons would give us the darker sound we're going for from what I've read). Just haven't dove too deeply into researching ones I can afford quite yet.