Andy, top 3 drummers you worked with...who are they?

GeertSamuel

Jan 29, 2006
Nieuw-Buinen, The Netherlands
Just curious, since you won't share the "bad" players, which offcourse I totally understandebly....just curious if you could share the top 3, or just name a couple of drummers that are just amazing, and don't need any beat detective of much fixing in their drum tracks.
You've worked with so many names that inspired me..so I'm really curious about this..

Brett - K A L I S I A said:
INAB but I'm guessing the list would include Daniel Erlandson (Arch Enemy), Van Williams (Nevermore), Paul Bostaph (Exodus) and Dave Lombardo (Testament)... :worship:

Exact same list, except for Van Williams I had in my head.
It's just because I'm not a Nevermore fan, but what I've heard and seen of them, I think he belongs to the list :)

Let me add a bonus question. Do you prefer recording hard hitting drummers (bostaph / lombardo style) or more controlled ones (williams / Erlandson style)?

~BURNY~ said:
Let me add a bonus question. Do you prefer recording hard hitting drummers (bostaph / lombardo style) or more controlled ones (williams / Erlandson style)?

For what I've seen in videos (live Daniel is a little hidden) Erlandsson is avery hard hitter.

I even remember Andy saying good things about the consistency with wich Daniel hits the toms.

I suppose it's only down to consistency, not how hard you hit. But I figure it is "easier" for hard-hitters to remain consistent since they are already bashing the max out of the drum, so a little harder hit won't be noticed and a little softer is still pretty hard.

The better they come, the harder they hit...

Generally speaking, of course. We've all seen drumming-noobs hitting the crap out of a drum without producing a single useable tone. But what I mean is, that a great drummer is able to hit very hard consistently, because a drum sounds best when it gets a full blow to the body...for metal that is.

good drummers hit with good technique(hard or not so hard) creating good tone. good drummers usually hit the drums hard and lay off the cymbals and hats and kinda "mix" themselves as they play. if they hit everything hard(drums and cymbals) it wont be very good usually. the ability to master dynamics(as needed) and time make someone a good drummer.

some metal drummers who are good dont hit very hard. some of the drummers who dont hit hard sound huge. it boils down to the technique. good technique will make good tone(assuming decent drums tuned well) to some extent. same with guitar. a guitarist with good technique sounds better because of the attack and the tightness of there playing.

timing also is an issue. when everything is in the right place(as in good feel) everything sounds better. if its off even alittle bit(in the wrong way), the sound may not be as good. good timing and technique will promote good dynamics(hard or soft) and good tone. the complete package takes years of practice and alot of drummers never get there.