Drum timing editing

Keith!

Broken Parts Club
Feb 3, 2006
Auckland, New Zealand
I thought it would be a nice idea to discuss how people go about fixing timing problems with drummers they have recorded. This must be an issue for others besides myself.

Ive just finished recording the drums for a metal bands first ep and there are some serious timing issues, mainly double kick playing. We did use click tracks.

Ive tryed beat detective but for some reason it doesnt work very well on the kicks but seems to work pretty good on the rest of the kit.

So what do you guys do when this sort of situation arises? People must use some sort of metheod to place drums in time because all the metal albums i hear, the playing is spot on. I know alot has to do with drummers being excellent however. :)

Cheers. :cool:

beat detective, if its the fast double bass thats messing you up just do it seperate from the rest. also are you using multitrack beat detective or just single track LE version?

I've been meaning to start doing it the way LSD-Studio put up, but I've never gotten around to it. I guess I've always figured that when I get the Mbox2 I'll just use BD.

Is the single-track LE version of BD really handicapping? Is it possible to just use it on the one track, dump down, then use it on another track etc.? I'm at a loss as to how the limitation would work.

Moonlapse said:
I've been meaning to start doing it the way LSD-Studio put up, but I've never gotten around to it. I guess I've always figured that when I get the Mbox2 I'll just use BD.

Is the single-track LE version of BD really handicapping? Is it possible to just use it on the one track, dump down, then use it on another track etc.? I'm at a loss as to how the limitation would work.

well its totally workable without the multitrack but its not as simple as that really. ive gotten really good at it though. basically i take it piece by piece. say its a really intense part ill take 4 bars highlight all the drum tracks (usually in a mix group) and ctrl E to cut out just those 4 bars. then ill take the beat detective and have it detect the kick only and ill make the cuts, i usually put a 1 ms buffer between the cuts and the hit, but sometimes a little more, but i usually have to do fast stuff. then do the same with the snare track, detect the hits and make the cuts etc. if theres toms on this part do the same there unless they land on the same beat as the snare or kick etc... also sometimes i get the ride or something if its necessary... ok so after that you use the beat detective to conform the cuts. you have to do this one track at a time but as long as you use the same exact settings for how accurate etc then everything will line up perfect. after doing that to all the tracks you can highlight all of them and fill and smooth. i usually put 5ms here, sometimes 3ms. this does all the cross fades and it lets you do all the tracks at once luckily. pretty much repeat as necessary ha, its alot of work but it works.

theres actually alot more tiny details of stuff that can go wrong and what to do when that happens etc but its 8 am and i havent slept yet so i better do that now.