Andy, what do you....

Vench

New Metal Member
Feb 7, 2004
suggest for Mastering?

Do you Master in the same mix-session or do you master separate?

Thank you

Vench

Hey Vench,

Many times, or I guess in most cases when it comes to pro productions, you let a dedicated mastering studio do the job. Few engineers/producers master their own pruductions. But I don't know, maybe I'm wrong.
There are several reasons for this, but most of all because mixing and mastering are two completely separate things. I know a pro engineer/producer who owns a comercial studio facility which includes two recording studios and a mstering studio. He has recorded several records that went gold, and mastered several records that went platina. Anyway, he almost never master his own productions. He said the whole point is to have a guy with a different set of ears do the job. Of course, the guy has to be skilled, or the production would get ruined.

Have you ever had a 16 hours recording session, where in the end your ears get so tired that you think everything sounds like crap? Well, you get the idea... it's good having someone else with a different perspective master your records.

My two cents,
DD

I hate letting other people do it now, even some of the big names Ive had master my stuff have messed up so....if anyones going to ruin it, its going to be me from now on.

Andy Sneap said:
I hate letting other people do it now, even some of the big names Ive had master my stuff have messed up so....if anyones going to ruin it, its going to be me from now on.

Hi Andy and thanks for the answer. I don't want now to play "The after Jesus Prophet" but I was 99% sure that you are doing mastering while mixing. Your Produktions are may be the only one with a "straight between the eyes Drumsound.
I do the same. I mix with a Protools Mix Plus enviroment and I listen through the Finalizer and L2.

I' m very against for giving out my Mixes to Mastering Studios too. In the Past I got back something else but not my Mix. Most of the times I got back a master without a snare and Bassdrum and much much distortion. And this because of their stupid loudnesswar. I sometimes think that these guys are too stupid to buy a pair of Genelecs.

Anyway i`t's nice to know that I don't think so wrong and that my ears still work.

Thanks - again :worship: