Andy's guitar EQ when mixing

i think this is the classic case of shit in the daw, shit out da daw.
It seems that the rule is to keep it simple

yep it was a south park episode....

aout tone - wish i had the room as andy's...

Originally Posted by Andy Sneap
It really is down to the set up and the player really

Can I get an "amen" from the rest of you guys?
No, it's because of the magical mouse ear :p

Seriously, though, I think almost all of us will agree. However, the set up and player we deal most of the time are far from ideal, so we have to deal with it somehow.

isnt that mouse with an ear on an UltraSpank - The Progress Cd???? i think it is

Yup! Good cd too.

41QA2HVQP4L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Due to the complexity of the harmonic structure of distorted guitar signal, EQ is definitely not the best way to balance things up. We can EQ the shit out of drums and get great results, but with distorted guitar, hi and low pass filters are the only ones that seem to work for me without “loosing” something.

We all agree that a killer tone out from the speaker and placing the mike on the right spot are the key factors to “get it right”.

Assuming you have a good player/rig/tone/mic/pre setup, what would you guys say is the most common mistake made by us “mortals AEs” in order to get the tone we are after?....I’ve been fucking up on EQing the amp lately.

Thanks for the thread Sly!!!

Yeah, I think EQ'ing the amp is the hardest part, personally - I really don't see what challenge there is in positioning the mic if you do the "reamp the guitars while sweeping the mic monitoring through headphones" technique; there's no rocket science, you just put it where it sounds best (which is generally less subjective than dialing in the myriad knobs on an amp).

Not in my experience since I started using headphones and monitoring the mic'ed signal - and I've heard so many great tones on hear by people who just "threw a 57 in front of the cone" without laboring over it too much.

In my experience, getting great guitar tone recorded starts with tweaking the amp until it sounds it's absolute BEST!!! I've done this significantly with my 5150 when I was testing out mic positions. Yes position is sensitive, but the amp must sound stellar before we even throw a mic in front of it.

For me, it's simply a matter of putting an SM57 between the middle and edge of the dust cap, then varying that position to what sounds good coming through the monitors, then putting the mic between an inch or less in front of the cab. This is assuming I'm going for a tight metal sound. So to me, mic position really isn't that difficult at all if you FIRST have a healthy amp that is tweaked to it's best, a good cab with good speakers, and good pickups. Oh, and a great player. :)

Oh, and if the room is treated correctly...My room isn't treated, but I'm not producing or engineering professionally right now. In my case, and with others who's rooms aren't treated, then the need for EQ would be greater.

Edit: I guess I can sum up what I've said as: I would never EQ to add something that "isn't there," but only to improve what should already sound great even without a mic.

Rant over...:)

-Joe

In my experience, getting great guitar tone recorded starts with tweaking the amp until it sounds it's absolute BEST!!! I've done this significantly with my 5150 when I was testing out mic positions. Yes position is sensitive, but the amp must sound stellar before we even throw a mic in front of it.

For me, it's simply a matter of putting an SM57 between the middle and edge of the dust cap, then varying that position to what sounds good coming through the monitors, then putting the mic between an inch or less in front of the cab. This is assuming I'm going for a tight metal sound. So to me, mic position really isn't that difficult at all if you FIRST have a healthy amp that is tweaked to it's best, a good cab with good speakers, and good pickups. Oh, and a great player. :)

Exactly, 100% agreed