Andy's Mesa Cab

Which cab would you guys recommend to pair with my Triple XXX?

Basically, the way I look at the two is that the Traditional/Stiletto is like pretty much every other 4x12 out there, whereas the oversized is, well, oversized, and thus is unique in that respect and has a very characteristic sound IMO. Some people like it - I do, but I wouldn't want it for my own tones, so basically, listen to the above two albums I mentioned, as well as Disarmonia Mundi's "Mind Tricks" (the most recent example of Recto cab-tacularness I've encountered) - if that scooped thing is your bag, then go for it, otherwise I'd say Stiletto for just one of the best examples of the "normal" 4x12's.

This Godless Endeavor always struck me as more of a Stiletto tone. I've been terrible at picking amps/cabs lately so I'm likely wrong, though.

Oh man, I don't think so dude, listen to that rumbling thunder in the guitars, especially when the main riff comes in by itself on the title track (right before "Sitting here sideways, on a cold stone floor")

See, I love the tone on TGE, but I think my Triple XXX might be too scooped for it, but then again TGE is a Mesa, which is pretty scooped as it is.

See, I love the tone on TGE, but I think my Triple XXX might be too scooped for it, but then again TGE is a Mesa, which is pretty scooped as it is.

It's just a different flavor dude. While both cabs will sound different due to their construction, they should be similar enough to tell that they both have the same speakers.

Do you have the opportunity to try both in a store? That would be my recommendation.

-Joe

I don't think the XXX is really that scoopy unless you set it to be. I dig it with my oversize but I haven't tried it with a standard/stiletto/whatever

I have a Rackmount Rectifier, a Recto oversized cab, and the Engl traditional cab that Metaltastic was kind enough to sell to me. After switching back and forth between the 2 the oversized definitely has the low mid/low end rumble that will shake your pant legs and the Engl has a more mid focused and less abrasive high end. If you can imagine the oversized filling the lows and sometimes unruly highs, then the trad. sized cab fits right in the middle of it and fills out the spectrum.

Slightly off topic, I finally grabbed a Radial ABY and had the chance to run the Recto into the Recto cab and my Boogie .50 Caliber into the Engl cab at the same time and it is an unholy fucking racket. Just perfect for the tone I'm looking for.

I don't think the XXX is really that scoopy unless you set it to be. I dig it with my oversize but I haven't tried it with a standard/stiletto/whatever

Dude, do you think the Triple XXX can get close to tones like Killswitch, As I Lay Dying, Machine Head, Kreator, etc? Basically anywhere near a typical 5150 tone lol. And would you have any clips of your Triple XXX with the Oversize Mesa Cab?

Yeah, I bought my Triple XXX because I thought it was a middle ground between a 5150 and a Recto (my two fav amps), but I guess I'm expecting a different tone out of it than it's really made for lol.

i have 3, two straight stiletto and an oversized one. They all sound good, the mids are more pronounced on the stiletto so it all depends on the player and head on which I use.

Firstly, sorry to dig up an old thread. :saint:

Is the Oversize one a Straight or Slant?

I remember an old picture showing a Slant, is that the same one Andy still has? Anybody know?

Thanks for any info.