Andy's Mixes

vile_ator

www.imperialmastering.com
Ok, so I have been doing what a lot of you guys have already been doing and that's listening to Andy's mixes to learn what you can and applying that to your own mixes.

I have found a few things. First of all Andy likes to keep the low end very trimmed up and tidy. Just enough to get away with. This pretty much ends the mud factor. Although I have noticed that as soon as you start doing this(C4), it shines a big fat light on your other tones. Many tones cannot afford to be looked at so clearly. So you have to have every other tone just right or else you are going to uncover what you dont like.

Also I think that its pretty obvious that he has the experinece mixing a certain genre that allows him to know what tones to grab in the first place. He probably knows exactly what will work for tones right from the start.

Then after that it seems that one of his greatest talents is his use of eq(and comp.) Its not easy to eq everything in a dense metal mix and have everything compliment each other. This is why the judicious choice of original tones is so necessary.

Also mixing with a limiter on seems crucial too.

I would pay a lot to get an Andy Sneap mixing tourorial DVD where he goes through his eq and compression decisions! I think James once said that he told him that he was not too worried about other people stealing his secrets cause its not possible to learn someting like this and then go home and copy it. You take what you learn and apply it to your own unique recording situation and it always comes out different.

But I really do appreciate this forum and Andy's willingness to share! Thanks man!

Colin

Yes that's all true very clear mixes!!
I think the trademark of Andy is the snare sound, every record I listen to he uses fat snare but at the same time they got a very clear attack, well compressed, they cut trough the mix etc etc
For istance take care of snare sounds on enemies remixed, killswitch engage.
He is the man!!! great sounding productions, well I said this a lot of time :D

Maurizio

I agree on every point... Andy's my favourite producer besides Albini and Kernon. And I really, REALLY respect someone who helps other people so readily.

Great points. I think regardless of musical genre, what you get on your original source tracks is really important. The closer you can get to a "final mix" sound without having to go nuts with processing, the better. There's only so much you can "fix in the mix" and it's always better to spend time getting the best sounds from the start.

Kazrog said:
Great points. I think regardless of musical genre, what you get on your original source tracks is really important. The closer you can get to a "final mix" sound without having to go nuts with processing, the better. There's only so much you can "fix in the mix" and it's always better to spend time getting the best sounds from the start.
My thoughts exactly.

kaomao said:
Yes that's all true very clear mixes!!
I think the trademark of Andy is the snare sound

I agree 100%. He gets a lot of attention for his guitar recording (which is amazing of course), but I think the drums are what really sets him apart.

While we're all kissing up, I definitely have to step up and agree with you guys. It really means a lot to have someone in his position so willing to help. There have been a lot of times when I've been so unbelievably frustrated over one thing or another, and he'll give some tips or guidance that will help me to break through whatever wall I've reached with this stuff instead of offing myself (kidding). I appreciate it so much. Most of us (especially those of us in bands) aren't able to train in a studio in person under a Colin Richardson or Bob Rock, so I always eat up the tips Andy passes along like a starving man going after crumbs! :D

Mostly what I learned from him is how 95% of it is the knowledge as opposed to the gear. It's easy to lose sight of that sometimes.

So yeah, thanks Andy!

yeah man those drum sounds are where it's at :cry:

I quess if I had to break down his sound the focus would definately be on the drums and gats.

Andy is definately easy on the low-end in the kick and bass compared to other mixers but things somehow being well balanced overall, and any 'thin-ness' that some people mention is the plebs way of saying 'tight' :headbang:

I'm gonna get that snare sound one of these days................ :err:

jamesboyd said:
yeah man those drum sounds are where it's at :cry:

I quess if I had to break down his sound the focus would definately be on the drums and gats.

Andy is definately easy on the low-end in the kick and bass compared to other mixers but things somehow being well balanced overall, and any 'thin-ness' that some people mention is the plebs way of saying 'tight' :headbang:

I'm gonna get that snare sound one of these days................ :err:
get the Fat City sample, i think he used it on KsE's AoJB, Trivium Ascendancy, but cant be sure, id like to know which kick sample he used on those albums cos they sound similar, the Machine Head TTAOE kick sounds similar too anyone know if the same kicks were used?

He doesn't want to say because he probably robbed the sample off of a Garth Brooks album and is too embarassed to admit that he loves Garth. hehe. :)

yeah I've got the fat city sample, but only used it the other day (working on a mix with it now)

I hated it dry, but with quite a bit of comp and dverb it sounds great in context.

hmm someone really needs to hook me up with some more dm4 samples........................

Also I think andy should tell us what kicks samples he mainly uses, in particular the one used on the 'eor' remix as it's great!!

I agree with brett. Yeah Andy's kick and snare sounds are ace, but it's the attention to detail that gets me. He knows exactly which intricacies to pick out, ie ride's, splashes etc. Things that could just get over looked so easily.