Andy's top recording tips REVEALED!!

James Murphy

Mar 26, 2002
ok... i know all you forum regulars know that i just got back from an extended stay at Backstage Studios where i spent a great deal of time working with Andy and spying over his shoulder. i know you are all DYING to know what great secrets and tips i learned off Andy, and i'm here to reveal them to you now with fully detailed photos featuring "blow-up" shots so you can see all the fine details!!!

let's dive right in....
in this shot you can get a close up perspective and Andy's patented ass micing technique.. notice the "windscreen" fitting is firmly in place on the SM7, andy's ass mic of choice. i think you can figure out why...
AStech1.jpg

Andy also seems to prefer the SM7 as his top nipple mic, once again with the comfy pop filter in place, in this case to avoid "bruising".
AStech2.jpg

last but not least is Andy's famous guitar cab mic choice and placement... turns out andy uses the ubiquitous S&M 69.. the black one, of course:
B0002UX81Q.01-A2ULVZOUOV1RHX._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

and the placement you ask? he goes for a nice, tight and clean bottom end, sticking it right up the middle!
AStech3.jpg

good luck with the new techniques everyone!

seriously though, i had a great time hanging out and working Andy and getting to know him all over again. i wouldn't trade the experience for anything and he and his family are the best!
:headbang:

LMAAAAAAAAAOOOO!!!!!!

You and your picture skillz James!!! :tickled: :tickled:

Man I wonder if you'd ever use those mics for vocals, near your mouth, after them being extensively used for getting bottom end and capturing that so-called brown sound!?

Moonlapse said:
Well, next time Slayer drop by, ask Kerry or Jeff for some Raiders gear... I hear they have enough to clothe the entire 3rd world.

Don't forget to ask for some guitar solo techniques while Kerrry is around too. He's really good at playing outside the key licks. As a matter of fact he's so outside he can't seem to get back in...ever. :Spin: