Anette Parting with Nightwish

Melusina

Century Child
Aug 12, 2007
OR
kpesznecker.aminus3.com
We have been chatting about this in another thread, but I think it is appropriate for it to have it's own thread.

Here is the Press Release from their Facebook page

Press statement

Another chapter of the Nightwish story has ended today. Nightwish and Anette Olzon have decided to part company, in mutual understanding, for the good of all parties involved.

In recent times it has become increasingly obvious that the direction and the needs of the band were in conflict, and this has led to a division from which we cannot recover.

Nightwish has no intention of cancelling any upcoming shows, and as a result we have decided to bring in a substitute vocalist starting in Seattle 1.10.2012. Her name is Floor Jansen from The Netherlands (ex-After Forever, ReVamp), and she has graciously stepped in to help us complete the Imaginaerum world tour.

We are all strongly committed to this journey, this vehicle of spirit, and we are sure that this will lead to a brighter future for everyone.

We forever remain excited about the adventures to come, and we are extremely proud of the two beautiful albums and the wonderful shows we shared together.

- NIGHTWISH & Anette Olzon

I have to say I am in a bit of shock right now about the whole thing.

I'm not in shock at all. Once I read that Annette recovered enough from Denver to give a performance in SLC, I thought something was fishy. Then to see Annette's petty comments about Nightwish replacing her in Denver to give the fans something...it just came off badly. It would be nice to have some information from the band. I think the fans deserve some truth here.

I will hold out hope that Tarja comes back. (I don't care if that's foolish! lol) There's an opening, so there IS a chance she could be back...even if it's one in a billion.

X

I guess I am more in shock that they are doing it mid tour, I mean things did seem a little bit rough after Dever, but to me changing singers during the tour means things had to be really bad.

No kidding.

That's some serious immaturity going on. You'd think they could say "Okay, this obviously isn't working out, but we need to at least finish this tour that people have already bought tickets for. It's only fair for the fans."

If I find out they lied about Annette being sick in Denver, I'm really going to be annoyed.

I have to wonder if Anette's health isn't at the root of all of this and they might just be attempting to protect her privacy until they figure out what is going on. I have no doubts that this is the end of Anette with the band for whatever reason and I hope that eventually we would get some clearer answers, but I am not going to hold my breath, we never did get clear answers about Tarja so I don't expect to now either.

At the Denver concert, when they announced she was being taken to the hospital, they said "We fear it could be the worst case scenario"

So...maybe it is indeed "worse case scenario"?

Cancer? Some other degenerative disease?

That's what I am thinking, even if they suspect any of those things the first priority would be to get her back home where she can under go tests and what not. I just seems like a pretty huge thing even if that is what is going on to have her leave the band permanently.

I am glad that they have Floor coming to fill in for the rest of the tour, I would have been devastated if they had to cancel since I am seeing them tomorrow.

KNEW ITTTT!!!! I've been saying for over 3 years that she wouldn't last another tour, and everyone said I was wrong and a pessimist and that if Anette was let go, this would be the end of Nightwish. WRONG! Nightwish has been and always will be about the MUSICIANS and Tuomas' vision, NOT Tarja, NOT Anette, or whoever they get to be the next mouthpiece. I like Floor, and hope she isn't just a temporary fix.

I'm with ya, Taimi, and I do hope that Floor becomes a permanent vocalist. I think audiences will be blown away by her. I also think it would be a dream come true for Floor!

BTW, Melusina, I got a friend request on FB from Oregon...is that you?

I am doing my best to not get my hopes up about Floor joining for good, and just try to sit back and enjoy the show tomorrow.

And it twas me, I thought I thought I sent a message with it but FB is silly sometimes.

I am not too happy about this twist, especially all this happening in the middle of a tour leg, as it was very much unexpected, but in the wider perspective there has been some hints of differences between Anette and the rest of the band along the years. We do not know much about what have been going on recently, but she may not have quite understood how anal the band can be when it comes to touring. They take it dead seriously as Tarja found out when she made them cancel the whole US leg of Once tour.

IMO, also the management (read: Ewo) has had a say in this issue. And them being able to alert Floor to step in only with 2 days notice, and to fly to the west coast from Europe sounds kind of strange, at least in my ears. Should I buy the story or what? Hmm...

I wish all the best for Anette and hope that the band can pull it through the bad situation. Floor is one helluva singer, and if anyone in metal scene can fill in Nightwish's vocalist's post that'd be her.

I'm also in shock right now. If the reason for her departure is some illness, I'm quite sure that they wouldn't have put it that way. They would have referred to an illness being the problem. I wonder if they really tried to make things work, I mean REALLY tried? Maybe both parties are happier this way, at least I hope so. Floor sounds great (at least what I heard on Youtube), and I wonder if she isn't in fact The new singer, not just a temporary singer.

PS I agree with Enigma that I don't really buy the fact that they were able to arrange for Floor with a really short notice. Yeah right. I'm Papa Smurf.

Well obviously we all don't know the details...

That said...if it IS something really bad about Anette's health (like cancer or something), then I can see them not posting about it. That's a serious issue...one Annette may not be ready to deal with right now.

X

Man the more I think about it the whole thing is just weird, I hadn't thought about the fact that they just happened to be able to get Floor on such short notice, wouldn't she need a visa and don't those take time to process?

Also I am sitting here calculating the possibility of getting up to Seattle tonight. Get off work at 4 I could be there by 7. So for $50 and a tank of gas and a really shitty day at work tomorrow I could do it. Is it bad that I really want to?

Maybe it's just me, but I think she's throwing a tantrum over the whole debacle in Denver. The fact that she carries on more about that on her blog than she does about her health makes me think not necessarily that her health *isn't* important, but that this parting of ways has more to do with this pissy little tantrum than it does about her health issues. Maybe I'm wrong here. It wouldn't be the first time. ;)

Personally, I've never been an AF fan but I have nothing against Floor and am curious to hear how she pulls off the material. Do I want her as a permanent replacement? I think I'm going to reserve judgment on that 'till I hear her do the songs. Because while I think it's apparent that the band needs a strong female vocalist who is used to life on the road and understands these mishaps that occur along the way (that obviously Anette never learned, despite her years with the Nightwish touring machine), I also feel that bringing a known name into it will turn it into this "supergroup" aspect, you know?

Well anyway...thanks Anette, for ruining my birthday and screwing me out of my chance to get my Imaginaerum poster signed by all 5 members. Thanks for not having enough balls to at least stick it out 'till the end of the U.S. tour for your fans that you supposedly love so much. My respect for you has just f*ckin' plummeted. Now you can join Tarja on my list of artists I have boycotted due to their unprofessional behavior. Congratulations.

Floor happened to have a valid visa because she performed at ProgPower in Atlanta just a couple of weeks ago. I don't know whether she went home afterwards or had any reason to stay in the USA for the past two weeks. Anyway, her swift arrival to save Nightwish still looks somewhat suspicious to me. But maybe i'm just paranoid... LOL!

Edit: Thanks to you C. for letting your inner bitch loose, you rule! Reminds me of the past days, hahah...!

I don't know if Anette would have been upset with NW going ahead with the Denver gig was she really ill like with cancer. I really really hope that the fact she left is that they grew apart and not that she's got some terrible illness. The good thing is that NW is downplaying the whole thing. I really wish all the best to Anette and the boys.... But I'm still shocked and sad over this.....

lol C - You're going to feel really crummy if it turns out Annette DOES have Cancer or something serious! At least you still get to get a good show, even if it's with a new singer. Denver got SCREWED here! :p

I too have never been a big fan of AF. I'l also going to wait until I hear some songs before saying Floor needs to be the singer. Never really thought she was anything special.

X