Anette

anaemia

New Metal Member
Sep 16, 2008
Australia
Question:
Who actually likes Anette Olzon? Is there anybody out there?

or, to go even further

Does anybody prefer her to Tarja?

Well, obviously we like Anette or we would have shut this forum down after Tarja was booted.

The age-old Anette vs. Tarja thing, to me, is just so played out. It's like comparing apples to oranges. They are so different in their singing styles. The only thing they have in common is that they have both sung Tuomas' songs as members of Nightwish.

Exactly, I'm not that fan of the whole Tarja-Anette debate.

I have to say that, as old fan, I'm still more attached to the "old era" (if we want call it era) and to Tarja. But I really like Anette too.
They're just different.
Things seem certainly more relaxed now that how they were 3-4 years ago..but the old times were great too. Even if Tarja had this image of being a little bit more "cold".

Well, obviously we like Anette or we would have shut this forum down after Tarja was booted.

The age-old Anette vs. Tarja thing, to me, is just so played out. It's like comparing apples to oranges. They are so different in their singing styles. The only thing they have in common is that they have both sung Tuomas' songs as members of Nightwish.

I could not agree more C. I fell in love with nightwish for Tuomas' music and lyrics and as long as there is someone that he wants singing his songs the more power to them. We could go on for days about the pros and cons of each singer since they are so different, but in the end I feel that it is just wasted time since there is no comparison.

As I have mentioned before I am still thrown off by some of the adaptations Anette has made on some of the older songs, but not because I don't like it, just because I am so used to it being done one particular way.

As I have mentioned before I am still thrown off by some of the adaptations Anette has made on some of the older songs, but not because I don't like it, just because I am so used to it being done one particular way.

Absolutely!

And this is coming from someone who wasn't always sure of her opinion of Anette. Anette really had to grow on me. I didn't think I would remain a Nightwish fan after hearing "Eva" and "Amaranth"; to me it just seemed like Nightwish had gone the route of Edenbridge or Within Temptation, and that's not why I loved them as a band. If I wanted carbon copies of those bands, I would listen to them (well, I am a huge WT fan already). I am definitely someone who believed that Tarja's voice was one of the components that made Nightwish unique. It was only my other belief---Tuomas' songwriting skills---that kept me in it and made me give it a chance. I'm glad I did.

I'll probably never get used to the way Anette sings "Wishmaster" (well, the other night I enjoyed it a lot more than I did the first time) or "Sacrament of Wilderness", but as I said in my review of the L.A. show, her talent is taking songs that have had that Tarja stamp on it, and putting her own spin on it. Not trying to change it or copy the version that was already there, but doing with it what she will and making it her own.

Anette's voice may never bring me those chills like Tarja's did, but I have tons of respect for her and that's more than I can say for Tarja.

I wasn't bashing at all, just curious.

Everyone that I've ever talked to has been very anti-Anette. I was just wondering if there were people out there that do.

I should have just asked for opinions on Anette, and worded the post a little better.

I wasn't bashing at all, just curious.

Everyone that I've ever talked to has been very anti-Anette. I was just wondering if there were people out there that do.

I should have just asked for opinions on Anette, and worded the post a little better.

I don't think any of us took it as bashing so much as we read it and saw the same timeless battle of old vs new and I think that is one thing we here have been trying to break by respecting and loving the old and moving on to the new. Also I think it is important, especially for C and I, that we express our love is for the band and not the front woman alone.

So with all that aside if you would like my humble opinion on Anette here is it, I absolutely love her, I feared that she would turn Nightwish into something they were not, but by being true to herself I believe they are not just a carbon copy of another band and by being 100% herself she brings a wonderful charisma and energy.

My largest peeve with her is the way she dresses, don't get me wrong she is cute and adorable and that is great for the teenage girl, but she is 37 years old! This would be a pet peeve of mine with anyone though really (when I first started to listen to nightwish Tarja was still in her 20s and I felt she dressed way too old) Now I know the argument to this is that I said I liked that she was true to herself and if that is part of her personality, but I believe you can have that same funky style without looking like a 16 year old trapped in a 30 year olds body. This will forever be something that bugs me about our society, age is not a bad thing embrace your age it represents power and beauty dressing younger than you are only makes you look older and demands no respect from me. That is my rant :)

Yeah, I didn't take your post as bashing. You must forgive me, I'm a moderator over at the official Nightwish forum too, so I have read more than my share of Anette vs. Tarja posts.

Re: Anette's wardrobe---I don't know, while I think her wardrobe looks like something she got out of Cyndi Lauper's yard sale, I think it's endearing in a way. It kinda shows that she doesn't care what people think, and she's gonna do her own thing anyway. Like changing her hair color; at the Seattle show she had kinda reddish hair, and in L.A. she was a blonde. Like she isn't afraid to go with what she feels or what she wants, she doesn't seem to care if other people criticize her for it.

And let's face it, to be Tarja's replacement, you have to have a thick skin and not give a damn for people's opinions. Anette seems to do this well. I think she brings a fun playfulness to the band now, a sort of childlike quality that goes so well with Tuomas' theme of innocence, probably even more so with Tarja. With Tarja (as I said in other posts), the band always seemed to have this image of being untouchable, of being this ethereal, mystic thing. Tarja's voice certainly helped that quality. But now, with Anette, they seem more approachable, more fun-loving, and I like that about her. If her silly clothes are part of it, then by all means, dress up in those rhinestones and funky dresses!

Good point C. she really does bring something out that it quite wonderful and I am glad that she doesn't feel the need to stick with the untouchable image and she feels like she can play with what she likes. I absolutely adore her with blonde hair. The dressing thing will always just be a peeve of mine, but like I said it has nothing to do with her it is anyone.

And let's face it, to be Tarja's replacement, you have to have a thick skin and not give a damn for people's opinions. Anette seems to do this well. I think she brings a fun playfulness to the band now, a sort of childlike quality that goes so well with Tuomas' theme of innocence, probably even more so with Tarja. With Tarja (as I said in other posts), the band always seemed to have this image of being untouchable, of being this ethereal, mystic thing. Tarja's voice certainly helped that quality. But now, with Anette, they seem more approachable, more fun-loving, and I like that about her. If her silly clothes are part of it, then by all means, dress up in those rhinestones and funky dresses!

I couldn't have summed it up better. :kickass:
Many people can't draw a mental line between the 2 eras and consider them as 2 diffeerent bands. If there was never a Tarja, people would probably love the playful innocence of NW with Annette.

They are a hell of a lot of fun to watch.

Jim

Yeah, true. I know sometimes for me, it is almost like two different bands. I love both "eras" in my own way, and I really don't have a preference. What they had with Tarja worked for a long time, and what they have with Anette seems to work now with the direction they are going for.

I can't remember if I said this before, but I remember a while back I had mentioned that people make the comment more and more that with Anette, Nightwish seems more like a band and not just a singer with backing musicians (where to those same people, it always seemed that way with Tarja). Someone here on the forum mentioned that no one ever seemed to mention this until Tarja left. And I'm going to say, I always thought it was a little strange that the frontwoman/singer never interacted with the audience and Marco always had to do all the talking. But I never gave it much thought because every band has their own routine, and it seemed to work for them. But I do like that Anette interacts with the audience. I think Tarja's inability to interact with the audience only gave her more of that unreachable quality, which I think resulted in so many people giving her this godlike image, as if she was something separate from "the rest of us folks".

The best NW video on Youtube

[ame]http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=mQIHaCLojs8[/ame]

Anette makes Nightwish a full band. Tarja was all about Tarja. As a person, Anette rules. As a performer, she is solid. As long as Tuomas is in Nightwish, he could have C has the frontwoman, and he would make the songs fit C's voice, Nightwish would be a solid act.

@frosk
What can I say? If that's your honest opinion, your taste is quite... unorthodox - at least among the people on this board.

For me I was introduced to them by listening to Dark Passion Play and I checked out 7 days to the wolves and loved it. I checked out the album before that and I really did like it. Then I went even further back and still rather enjoyed it I was just more into Anette than Tarja, although I stilll like Tarja. When I saw them live I found that Anette could pull off the old material just fine, but thats just me.

I knew NW before with Tarja and after with Anette, and to be honest I don't understand where the Anette hating is coming from.

Yes, I agree that she had some rough concerts, but to be honest I have never heard Tarja deliver a CD-perfect concert or even close to it. Anette has also been sick a lot, is adjusting to the band (it takes new members a couple years to really adapt to a band, remember) and I have seen plenty of great performances by her too. People are just biased against her; I don't see anyone hounding all the videos where Tarja's voice is off and bashing her for it. Anette's CD vocals are spot on as well and I find many of the songs particularly pleasing. She does the songs more than enough justice and has a good range. But as I am about to say, most of that doesn't even matter.

That is to say, Anette is not a vocal virtuoso but you don't hear Symphony X style over-the-neck-sweeping guitar solos or crazy drum fills in NW either. Nightwish to me is about a certain aesthetic, with a tight-knit musical unit playing well-composed, thematic songs as a whole. I always thought the same of Tarja. Her operatic vocals were cool, but it was still part of the band, not something spectactular in and of itself. Nightwish was never about musical virtuosity and Tarja was a good singer but by no means was she some kind of opera goddess that people made her out to be. It was the whole band together that was great. I am a big fan of the band and I say this not to diminish their talents, which are great. It takes way more talent and self-mastery to write really good compositions and blend as a band than to just write songs that highlight musicianship. This is the very reason for which I love NW.

And that is why I don't follow Tarja anymore. I think something of a personality cult developed around her, because of the whole opera + metal novelty, and while I like both the old and new NW (if I could only keep one CD it would be Once), I just cannot get into the Tarja stuff. Even though two of my favorite musicians, Mike Terrana and Kiko Loureiro are playing with her, I didn't buy a ticket to go see her when I had the chance. The songs to me are just not interesting, because they are about showcasing Tarja, not about presenting a thematic, unified content like NW does so well.

Bottom line, NW is putting out as good content as ever and I find the whole Anette/Tarja thing ridiculous because it was never about the singer, it was about the songs.