Anette

Yeah, I have to put my two cents in I guess. LOL

The Tarja vs. Anette thing is unfair in alot of conversation circles. I agree with C. They are Apples and Oranges and I too had to let some time go by for Anette to grow on me. Don't get me wrong, there are times I miss Tarja though.

There was an awkwardness about the letter and I remember being a little surprised after reading it. But, like everything else there is always two sides to every story and we will never know the inside aspect among them. They are very old friends. I'm sure a lot was going on. The video on YouTube of her address was very depressing though. I felt so bad after seeing it.

There are times when I think Tarja's voice is out of place in some of Nightiwsh's music. Then their are times when the operatic style complements very nicely. But, it's not always 100% with me. Those are the places where I appreciate Anette. I've only heard Anette on the the new stuff. If I heard the Tarja material sung by Anette I'm not sure how I would respond to it. I'm a little affraid to go down that road. You can't compare the two. Each have their role. And I love both of them!!

The way people have treated Anette I find to be sometimes....we'll "sickening". And weather or not you like her as the new vocalist people should still respect her.

Truth be told though Nightwish to me.....isn't about any of the vocals. It's Toumas! The man is brilliant and I REALLY enjoy Nightwish music sung by him and Marco! The way he handles "Wish I had an Angel" was great! The video of him taking over for Anette in Brazil was nice. I really love Marco's vocals when he does his parts. I haven't heard Tarrot but plan to shortly.

Just to sum it up. The comparison is unfair. Love them both but Nightwish is defined by Toumas first. And then the big drums, bass and crunching guitars. Tarja is very impressionable on Nightiwsh's style. But, it will NEVER over shadow Toumas and his arrangment/writting capabilities.

Fun story. My first year in Finland, possibly my first day in university, my student-tutor saw I was wearing my nightwish hoodie and immediately asked who I liked better, Tarja or Anette.

Apparently they're a big deal over here, for some reason... ;)

My answer was to point at something far away, ask what it was called in Finnish, then to run away when she turned to look. That's my usual answer when people ask me that question here in Finland. It's the safest possible response.

popping back by to say hi to my fellow OSAers and to say I am actually extremely excited to hear what Nightwish has in works for Anette on this new album. Now that Tuomas really knows Anette's range and potential I think we as fans are going to get to see her in a different light, I just hope I am not disappointed. Then again Tuomas never fails to deliver great music.

I'm not such a huge nightwish fan nowadays though i did like them more when Tarja was there. Then i hear the bad news and i'm thinking oh crap and who would be replacing her, not long ago i came across one of the bands music videos on youtube after a while of not listening to them i sat there thinking yeah why not? may as well.
To hear a totally different voice kinda made me want to listen to them more than i used to though i don't know why, then i started reading the comments people left and become say shocked to see a debate about who is better than who. I wondered for a moment why they would bag on someone because they are different...
I saw such crap like "She's a diva, Tarja is better" or "I think Nightwish would be more better if Tarja hadn't left" and there was one other comment which i dare not to mention but it made me reply never the less.
To re-make my point in that comment, it doesn't matter how good the singer you are. As long as you sing the song(s) and do your best to give the crowd a good gig then there shouldn't be anything to worry about.
Better or not, i like them both. I don't care what the others say because they just fail for even trying to come up with any reason or excuse, they are both really good singers however i think i would probably still prefer Tarja than Anette.

I've been a LONG time fan of Nightwish...ever since Oceanborn came out they have been my favorite band.

And I just have to say in regards to the singer debate...

TEAM TARJA ALL THE WAY! lol

It's not even a contest.

Yes, they are still my favorite band because the music and songwriting is brilliant...but the amazing vocals of Tarja are what separated NW from every other band out there copying their style. Anette is fine, but her vocals sound so generic.

It still makes me sad to know she's not in the band, and she'll never have the dedicated passionate fans she had when she was with NW.

That is all I have to say about that!

PS - sucks their first concert is in LA. Anyone not in LA planning on making the trek to see it?

Well said, and welcome to the board. :wave:

Cheers mate.

It still makes me sad to know she's not in the band, and she'll never have the dedicated passionate fans she had when she was with NW.

Yeah man there is no doubt that others feel the same though what people should realize is that the band is still ticking and no matter who the singer is or how good or bad she is Nightwish will always be around until their last date, its the same with every band.
Though i'm with you when you say
TEAM TARJA ALL THE WAY!

I'm not in LA, but I doubt I'd be able to go even if I WAS in LA. (Though I, too, am only like... 2 hours from outer LA... *shifty eyes*)

I was actually listening to Nightwish earlier today, with some songs with Anette on vocals thrown in the mix, and decided I'm going to throw in my not-even-close-to-two-cents-worth in.

Personally, I much prefer Tarja and the music written when Tarja was still in the band (as do most of my other friends that listen to Nightwish). It might be because the first few songs I heard from Nightwish were with Tarja on vocals or because I'm a classically trained (mezzo-)soprano, violinist, and pianist myself, or it could be both, but I must admit it.

However, there are songs with Anette on vocals that I do enjoy and if I had the chance to see Nightwish now, I would totally go because I am a huge fan. I almost view the "Tarja-Nightwish" and "Anette-Nightwish" (for lack of a better... name?) as two different bands though, and almost cringe when I hear Anette singing songs that Tarja originally sang.

It might just be me though. Vocals are a huge thing for me. I do respect Anette though, for sticking with it and not throwing too many fits (at least, not that I've heard of, but I don't really track Anette). I also haven't heard any videos of her in recent concerts, but from what I've heard in the past, she could definitely benefit from a vocal trainer.

That's my idea thing. Yeah.

I'll listen to both Nightwish with Tarja and Nightwish with Anette. I like both.

The rest is all just whiny window dressing.

Anette uploaded her 2005 demo of "Ever Dream" on her MySpace player. *click*

Yes, this is The Demo which she recorded and sent to Nightwish in November 2005 to apply the vacant singers' post before most anyone else. However, this demo didn't convince the band immediately, but it definitely fascinated them enough to not forget her during the long audition process they put up later. She persisted and later sent them a private Alyson Avenue concert DVD with her on the vocals, a recording which put her on top of the applicants' list and brought her a plane ticket to personal audition in Finland. And as we know, she didn't miss that opportunity but convinced the guys for good.

Truthfully, I love Anette. I don't think she's bland at all, and I love what she brings to her renditions of the older Nightwish songs.

And not for nothing, but I enjoy Tarja's solo work slightly more than when she was in Nightwish.

In the end, all is right with Universe (for me anyway). :D