Angra-Rebirth

Angra
The Brazilian power progressive metal Gods Angra continuously raise the standards of melodic metal with their many classical and ethnic influences- both melodically and persuasively. Their debut release Angel's Cry set a new standard for power metal with classical orchestration and incredible musical performances. Vocalist and lead songwriter Andre Matos left the band after Fireworks and is now involved in a new band entitled Shaman. Guitarists Kiko Loureiro and Rafael Bittencourt now front the band with a new vocalist Edu Falaschi continuing the legacy of Angra.

Holy Land (1995)
This an awesome concept album about the exploration and exploitation of South America by the Portuguese and Spanish. Andre Matos provides stunning classical vocals and orchestrations while Rafael Bittencourt and Kiko Loureiro play smoking leads and riffs on guitar. The highlight of this album is the Latin melodies and percussion seamlessly woven into the sound- "Carolina IV", "Silence and Distance", and the title track. The first half of this album is more interesting and progressive than the second, but once I start the album I can't stop or skip tracks. For the most part, this is a classic. A- / 92

Rebirth (2001)
Without Andre Matos in the band, I had my doubts as to whether Angra could uphold the standards in melody and arrangement they have become known for. I was pleasantly surprised with Rebirth- an album that sounds similar to Holy Land only with more memorable melodies. The amazing classical and Latin influences have been downplayed a touch, but the songs are generally stronger. Falaschi adds a deeper, cleaner, and less nasal voice that is in many ways preferable to Matos'- though lacking the range. He also pens "Hero's of Sand" a unique power ballad-like song with a powerful chorus. The album's eight middle songs are the highlight showcasing the classical and ethnic melodies, fantastic riffs, and choirs ("Acid Rain", "Unholy Wars", and "Running Alone"). Those new to Angra should definitely start here! A / 93

I haven't heard Fireworks yet. I have yeard Angels Cry and didn't like that nearly as much as the 2 Angra albums I actually own :)

The Edge of Forever Internet Radio...
teofbanner.jpg

When I heard about the Angra's split I thought they never will be the great band they used to be. Then, the news said the split was the origin of two new bands, formerly from the old members (yeah, like a cell division!), but my first thought was that the original sound of Angra would be divided too, as the genius in the composition and the strong and technical melodies.

When the promo released on the inet, I downloaded it to make my initial evaluation, without expect so much and (as happened with more bands than I like to admit) a worse sound than before. I still remember myself listening to Nova Era and wondering about the sound and the voice of Eduardo Falaschi, the strong vocals and perfect execution on each passage of the song... The whole album is really awesome, the technical parts, the composition, all!!!! I'm in ecstasy. If you like the Falaschi's voice, check his previous releases with the brazilian band Symbols and Venus (rare and unrelease tracks on Falachi's web site!).

And few weeks ago I had the opportunity to saw them live. I bought the original Rebirth album, and assisted to the show expecting a good night of great music. The show was opened by the D.C Cooper new band(ex-vocalist of Royal Hunt, I actually love Royal Hunt): Silent Force. Despite the obvious great voice of D.C, the band is not my cup of tea.

When Angra appeared, starting the gig with the expected Nova Era, I saw Falaschi is a very, very great singer for live shows, indeed!!! All the show was a wonder itself, playing songs mostly from Rebirth, but playing the old and beloved songs, such Angels Cry, Make Believe, Carry On, Metal Icarus (I don't like specially this one, but they made a special intro with percusion worthy of be shown).

If Angra goes by this way, they will survive. I assure you. Thank you for your attention, cya!!!

|ngenius (who is still wondering)

"Rebirth" is really a excellent album. The new Angra line-up is very good and I think the new vocalist Eduardo Falaschi is much better than Andre Mattos. Both are great singers, but Edu is the best one.