Shaman vs. Angra - "Rebirth"

ProgMetalFan

In the attic
Jan 3, 2002
PITTSBURGH
Which album is superior? I have "Rebirth"... and it's the first Angra album I like... I borrowed Shaman from a friend... and I don't like it at all!

Angra - "Rebirth" for me!

Ive still yet to hear the full shaman album. Ive only heard a few tracks but I don't like it as much as Angra. And despite what a lot of people say, Angra is still Angra, and Shaman does not sound like Angra. I mentioned one thing Shaman doesn't have that, for me, is something I expect to hear from Angra, is the virtuosic guitar work of Kiko (and to a lesser extent Rafael), and what I heard from Shaman is just average powermetal lead guitar playing. Not that it makes Shaman less of a band than Angra, but thats a part of Angras music that is integral for me, which Shaman lacks, making them not Angra ;). Also a lot of people forget that Rafael was, I think, an equally strong writing force in Angra along with Matos. Kiko also has writing credits on some of the better songs on Holy Land and Fireworks. And to me, Edu is a much more enjoyable singer to listen to than Matos (but Matos is good too). So for me, I still prefer the reborn Angra :D

I think I like them both equally
now, IMO, the best band was the old Angra, I think the separation was a loss for both sides even though there are 2 bands now, like I use to say, the greatness of both bands is guaranteed because Rafael is in Angra and Andre in Shaman, but together they wrote masterpieces ...
I also think that Shaman is a bit closer from being the old Angra then the new Angra is (and it's not because of Matos voice, DUH :loco: )
it's been commented that Angra got a bit closer from power metal with the new album, lots of people didn't like the sounds of the keyboards
Shaman had the same producer that worked with Angra in Angels Cry and Holy Land - Sascha Paeth - and this guy is fantastic imo, sets perfect arrengements, nice sounds
Shaman has only one guitarrist and unfortunally he can't be compared to Kiko or Rafael, so in this aspect Shaman is not as good as Angra
anyway, the band followed the way I think Matos wanted to take in Angra, but unfortunally the band split ... :ill:

R*O*C*K*S* said:
I think I like them both equally
now, IMO, the best band was the old Angra, I think the separation was a loss for both sides even though there are 2 bands now, like I use to say, the greatness of both bands is guaranteed because Rafael is in Angra and Andre in Shaman, but together they wrote masterpieces ...
I also think that Shaman is a bit closer from being the old Angra then the new Angra is (and it's not because of Matos voice, DUH :loco: )
it's been commented that Angra got a bit closer from power metal with the new album, lots of people didn't like the sounds of the keyboards
Shaman had the same producer that worked with Angra in Angels Cry and Holy Land - Sascha Paeth - and this guy is fantastic imo, sets perfect arrengements, nice sounds
Shaman has only one guitarrist and unfortunally he can't be compared to Kiko or Rafael, so in this aspect Shaman is not as good as Angra
anyway, the band followed the way I think Matos wanted to take in Angra, but unfortunally the band split ... :ill:

With the split of Andre... it went from 0 bands I like... to 1 band... Andre's voice is one of those things you either love or hate, I guess... I, for one, can't stand his voice! I was very suprised when I heard new Angra... because I had never liked them before... but I love "Rebirth" and "Hunters and Prey"... top-notch power metal!

Look, Angra and Shaman have a different "style" of metal. I believe that Shaman is more hard-rock-ish metal than Angra, that is more melodic.

But I believe that Andre Matos' voice got 23238298 times better than in the past!!!

Anyways, I like 'em both equally.

Angra easily. Coz'

* I hate Matos's voice
* I love Edu's Voice
* Kiko and Rafa is in Angra
* Angra has "23238298" times better melodies, musicianship and solo's.

Shaman by far.

Rebirth sounds like an Angra cover band

Nova Era = Carry On
Unholy Wars = Carolina IV
Visions Prelude = Lasting Child

it's like just taking what Angra did in the past and duplicating it with a more everyday, run-of-the-mill unoriginal power singer, and replacing the wonderful orchestration with cheesy, inexpensive-sounding keyboard pads.

of course though..the lead work is stellar.

Shaman is an evolution of the old Angra sound.

Still the brilliant orchestration and ethnic instrumentation, but moving into a more prog rock direction with more keyboards, and less pounding chugga-chugga power metal songs.

Some of the songs like Ritual, Blind Spell, For Tommorow are definately more melodic prog than power metal.

I think Matos' melodies and song writing are superior.

And also everyone complains that the new guitarist sucks. because he doesn't shred????

wtf...his solos are tasty as hell, very well put together and extremely well written. Great tone too.

He reminds me of a more metal Brian May.

and so, put all this together and Shaman > Angra.

classier and more mature IMO.

azal said:
Shaman by far.

Rebirth sounds like an Angra cover band

Nova Era = Carry On
Unholy Wars = Carolina IV
Visions Prelude = Lasting Child

it's like just taking what Angra did in the past and duplicating it with a more everyday, run-of-the-mill unoriginal power singer, and replacing the wonderful orchestration with cheesy, inexpensive-sounding keyboard pads.

of course though..the lead work is stellar.

Shaman is an evolution of the old Angra sound.

Still the brilliant orchestration and ethnic instrumentation, but moving into a more prog rock direction with more keyboards, and less pounding chugga-chugga power metal songs.

Some of the songs like Ritual, Blind Spell, For Tommorow are definately more melodic prog than power metal.

I think Matos' melodies and song writing are superior.

And also everyone complains that the new guitarist sucks. because he doesn't shred????

wtf...his solos are tasty as hell, very well put together and extremely well written. Great tone too.

He reminds me of a more metal Brian May.

and so, put all this together and Shaman > Angra.

classier and more mature IMO.

This might all be true... but Andre's voice still makes anything he sings on unlistenable! :wave:

Sure, some tracks on Rebirth can be compared to older Angra songs but that happens a lot with bands. Im sure Im not the only one who thought Communion sounded like a cross between Through the Looking Glass and The Accolade the first time I heard it. Besides the new Angra has given us some of Angra's best songs ever, like Acid Rain, Rebirth, Heroes of Sand, Running Alone, Live and Learn, Hunters and Prey. And of course they now have Edu, who's voice is much more listenable than Matos' often chipmunkish dog whistle voice.

R*O*C*K*S* said:
heheheh

i don't understand this people that hates Matos voice :p

but that's a matter of personal preference :Spin:

I don't really *hate* it, but I think he can get kind of annoying at times, like when he does those squeaks (for example in Evil Warning "calling you for the attaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAaaack). I just like Edu better.

Edu is god, and he's one of the (many) reasons why Rebith is prolly in my top 5 favorite album list. Shaman's good, but Rebirth >>> most earthly things.