Rafa or kiko? (Angra)

Mr. Shred-ididle

Its Chinese-Tilt ya' head
Jan 25, 2003
Help!

I've got two angra albums "Rebirth" and "Hunters and Prey"

But there is one problem - I dont know what solo's a being by who? Rafael or Kiko?

Can someone tell me please! what the difference is in the playing? I can hear the difference when they are dueling by the way they play but i dont know what one is doing what?

I mean the solo in Running Alone is amazing:OMG::OMG:

Can someone tell me!?

Yes, the solo in "Running Alone" IS amazing! There are amazing solos all over that album. I had never liked Angra before... but when I heard "Rebirth"... I went crazy! It's a GREAT album... and "Hunters and Prey" is a great EP... I can't wait to hear the next album by Angra. The guitarists are supremely talented.

Kiko is really more "virtuoso" and Rafael is the main composer
but they are both great, it's the perfect match

now the ones I can remember in Rebirth:

Millennium Sun: 1st part by Kiko, 2nd by Rafael (they kinda exchanged roles because Rafael's part has more virtuosity)

Rebirth: 1st part by Kiko 2nd by Rafael

if you want to DROOL get Z.I.T.O from Holy Land and check the solo

ProgMetalFan said:
Yes, the solo in "Running Alone" IS amazing! There are amazing solos all over that album. I had never liked Angra before... but when I heard "Rebirth"... I went crazy! It's a GREAT album... and "Hunters and Prey" is a great EP... I can't wait to hear the next album by Angra. The guitarists are supremely talented.

don't wait :)

they have other 3 albuns (Angels Cry, Holy Land and Fireworks)

and another EP: Freedom Call

i really recommend their masterpiece "Angels Cry"

Thanx dudes

Yeah i know. But I cant stand Andrea Matos's voice.

I know he's amazingly in-tune and can get nearly every high note in the universe. But the chorus after the solo in "carry On" make me go "OUCH!!"

They have also released a new live dvd and cd. So now we can hear Edu sing the old songs. Its now only at the Angra sop on their website. But soon it will be released world-wide.

So let me get this straight

Shredder dude - Kiko

Melodic, Songwriter bloke - Rafa

Cool. If Rafa did the second solo in Millenium Sun he must also be a good lead player. Good tapping skills.

Mr. Shred-ididle said:
Thanx dudes

Yeah i know. But I cant stand Andrea Matos's voice.

I know he's amazingly in-tune and can get nearly every high note in the universe. But the chorus after the solo in "carry On" make me go "OUCH!!"

They have also released a new live dvd and cd. So now we can hear Edu sing the old songs. Its now only at the Angra sop on their website. But soon it will be released world-wide.

So let me get this straight

Shredder dude - Kiko

Melodic, Songwriter bloke - Rafa

Cool. If Rafa did the second solo in Millenium Sun he must also be a good lead player. Good tapping skills.

Kiko is a sick bastard. I had the pleasure of seeing them on one of their post progpower III US dates (at Lamours in NYC). And he completely tore it up. He had a solo spot where he did an ungodly sick Romeo-eqsue tapping etude (he uses 2 and even 3 fingers sometimes) before switching to a clean tone and doing stanley jordan chordal tapping stuff. Kiko is vastly underrated, mostly because Angra isn't a band thats all about chops like prog bands are, so his solos are usually limited to the standard 4-8 bar breaks, giving him less room to "stretch out" his chops.

And I just recently won the Angra DVD on Ebay, still waiting for it to get here tho :D

I was watching the DVD to see who was doing each solo

so, here are some of the remaining songs:

Nova Era and Running Alone: everything by Kiko

Acid Rain: "pre"-solo: both,
solo 1st part: Kiko
2nd: Rafael

Unholy Wars: everything by Kiko, including the one before bass solo

Judgement Day and Visions Prelude aren't in the setlist
Heroes Of Sand I didn't watch :D but I think it's 1st part Kiko, 2nd Rafael

Hunters And Prey it's everything by Kiko if I can quite remember (I wasn't paying attention yet o_O )

ps1: this solo mentioned by Yngvay can be found on Kazaa ans it's really nice, it's split in 2 parts, I dont know why (around 1mb each)

ps2: that's a shame a considerable number of people doesn't like Andre Matos voice hehehe

R*O*C*K*S* said:
Hunters And Prey it's everything by Kiko if I can quite remember (I wasn't paying attention yet o_O )

ps2: that's a shame a considerable number of people doesn't like Andre Matos voice hehehe

Are you sure you meant Hunters and Prey? According to the tracklist I've seen, its not on it.

And actually, this is the only place Ive seen people say they like the Edu stuff better. over at the Blind Guardian forum nearly everyone says they prefer Matos.

Fireworks has some of the greatest lead playing ever in metal IMO.

Check out the Mystery Machine lead..and also Speed.

the guitarists are the only good thing left in Angra though :\

everything is bland, rehashed euro metal.

Edu can't hit correct pitches live. *puke*

dude Rebirth is the most power metal Angra release by far.

Holy Land is a billion times more progressive than Rebirth and Shaman is alot more progressive than Angra is now coincidentlly.

Whether you love or hate is voice, I think that there's no denying that Matos himself is a better, more intelligent, creative and mature composer than the rest of Angra combined.

He is truly one of the few people in metal today that I would label a prodigy or genius.

His skills in keyboard playing, composing for orchestra, composing for choir and just writing unbelieable songs is top notch.

azal said:
Edu can't hit correct pitches live. *puke*

dude no fucking way, maybe when you saw them it was a bad night, but when I saw them in NY Edu hit *EVERYTHING* perfectly, including everything in the old Matos era songs.

I love the new Angra, and personally I think Shaman is boring. Matos did write some of the cooler older Angra songs, but I think Rafael had just as much input as he did in the songwriting.

Rebirth totally slays Holy Land, with the key being the godly Edu replacing the mediocre Andre. Not only that, but my boy Gunter Werno does the keys.

headbob.gif

I never knew that Matos playes keys.

I never knew that Matos wrote heaps of songs.

Mabey I'll ckeck old-Angra out.

But c'mon Azil, the songwriting in Rebirth is pretty good. I mean - those melodies are so catchy and melodic.

So If i get some old Angra out what should I get.? Holy Land or Fireworks?

When Azil said Fireworks has some of the greatest lead playing I feel pretty tempted to get that. But I've heard Holy Land is also a classic.

So what should I get?

Why does every Angra thread have to turn into an Andre vs. Edu battle? I thought this was an appreciation for the talented guitarists.

Mr. Shred-ididle said:

I never knew that Matos wrote heaps of songs.

Mabey I'll ckeck old-Angra out.

But c'mon Azil, the songwriting in Rebirth is pretty good. I mean - those melodies are so catchy and melodic.

So If i get some old Angra out what should I get.? Holy Land or Fireworks?

When Azil said Fireworks has some of the greatest lead playing I feel pretty tempted to get that. But I've heard Holy Land is also a classic.

So what should I get?

Id say get Angels Cry. Thats my 2nd fav after Rebirth and its the one that Rebirth reminds me the most of. Great stuff on there. Fireworks does have some cool guitar playing on it tho.

Yngvai X said:
Are you sure you meant Hunters and Prey? According to the tracklist I've seen, its not on it.

And actually, this is the only place Ive seen people say they like the Edu stuff better. over at the Blind Guardian forum nearly everyone says they prefer Matos.
yes I'm sure
there are some bonus tracks on the DVD:
-Hunters And Prey in Japan
-Batucada In Japan ("batucada", translated to english would be something like "drumming" "drum jam", in this track all the members get some percussion instrument and make this "batucada" hehee, there is a time when they play the intro to Judgement Day" )
-Rebirth videoclip
-Pra Frente Brasil videoclip (this is a popular brazilian song made in the 70's as a theme to our soccer team for the 1970 World Cup, Angra made a heavy metal version for 2002 World Cup and it ROCKED)
-Nova Era @ Rock Machina Festival (Spain)
-Acid Rain @ Wacken Open Air (German)

now regarding the Andre and Edu stuff ..... there is a certain tendency that in USA people prefer not so high-pitched vocals, and in Europe there is a preference for Matos style, but this is not a RULE and doesn't mean that who likes Edu can't like Andre and bla bla .... yatta yatta haha

azal said:
I think that there's no denying that Matos himself is a better, more intelligent, creative and mature composer than the rest of Angra combined.
I'm a big fan of Matos but I wouldn't say that, check my reply to shred =>
Mr. Shred-ididle said:
not only he plays keyboards, but is graduated in regency and Composition as well as Rafael Bittencourt
both of them were the brains in old Angra. around 90% of the material was written by or Andre, or Rafael or both

I'd say that the quality and greatness in new Angra and in Shaman is "guaranteed" because there is one in each band
Mr. Shred-ididle said:
So what should I get?
get everything :p

hehe, let me make some suggestions

from Angels Cry: Carry On(their biggest classic), Time, Angels Cry, Stand Away, Never Understand

from Holy Land: Nothing To Say, Carolina IV, The Shaman (their most PROGRESSIVE song ever), , Make Believe, Z.I.T.O

Fireworks: Lisbon, Metal Icarus, Fireworks, Gentle Change, Speed

shit I almost forgot: "Reaching Horizons" from the EP Freedom Call
outstanding song !