Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
angracover.jpg

Label Web Site: http://www.spv.de
Release Date: November 15, 2004
Band Web Site: http://www.angra.net

I’ve never been a big fan of ANGRA. Their classic, Holy Land, flew right under my radar. I don’t think I even heard an ANGRA song until I learned they would be performing at ProgPower III, to which I already had tickets. So, I went out and bought Rebirth, which at that time was their latest CD. I thought it was a respectable effort, but nothing special. About a year later, I finally got my hands on Holy Land. After spinning it a few times, I could see why so many fans of the Power Metal genre consider it a classic. However, while I was curious to hear ANGRA’s latest offering, I’d hardly say I was waiting with bated breath. Now that I’ve had Temple of Shadows for a few weeks, and have listened to it a dozen times, I think I can safely sum up this disc with one word; Wow!

Let’s start where any review of this disc should start, with Edu Falaschi. On Rebirth, his first CD as ANGRA’s front man (after the departure of André Matos), he came across as a good, but not top-tier, vocalist. However, with his debut CD firmly under his belt, Edu has taken his performance to the next level. The release of Temple of Shadows should solidify Edu’s place among the genre’s elite vocalists. Whether it be the more subtle moments of “Wishing Well”, the pure Metal bliss of “Angels and Demons”, or when going head-to-head with Metal legends Hansi Kürsch and Kai Hansen, Edu’s star shines brightly.

Temple of Shadows is a loosely tied concept disc about an eleventh century knight, known as The Shadow Hunter, whose beliefs are at odds with those of the Catholic Church. The CD follows his evolving ideals, with each song representing a chapter in the story. Unfortunately, I wouldn’t have known any of this from the lyrics alone. It is this lack or lyrical clarity, to support the CD's concept, that represents this CD’s lone shortcoming.

ANGRA’s music, for those who are not familiar with it, can best be described as a mirror image of SYMPHONY X. Where SYMPHONY X’s latest release blends a full serving of Prog Metal with a healthy helping of Power Metal, ANGRA offers listeners the exact opposite recipe with a dash of Brazilian spice for an extra little kick.

Much of what makes Temple of Shadows such an excellent CD, is its variety. There aren’t many bands who can open a song with a beautiful flamenco guitar passage, then transition it into a traditional Metal riff. ANGRA accomplishes this without breaking a sweat. Much of the credit for this must go to the incredibly talented guitar duo of Kiko Loureiro and Rafael Bittencourt. Their rhythms have crunch, and their leads have melody. Together they represent not only the most underrated dual guitar attack in Metal, but easily one of the best.

With most bands, the rhythm section is a mere afterthought. That’s hardly the case with ANGRA. Bassist Felipe Andreoli and drummer Aquiles Priester not only hold down the bottom end, but occasionally move to the forefront to add some extra punch. The backbone they provide to the lead instruments is at once powerful and fluid.

Whether it’s their masterful blend of Power and Prog Metal, the way they infuse their Brazilian roots into Heavy Metal, their fantastic musicianship, or their amazing sense of melody, ANGRA has delivered a nearly flawless CD. ANGRA breathes fresh air into an often stale genre. If you’ve heard ANGRA before and weren’t impressed, now is the time to revisit their music. If you’re a current fan, and have yet to hear Temple of Shadows, prepare to have your highest expectations exceeded.

Rating: 9/10
Reviewer: General Zod

:kickass: -> review + album

When I hear a guitar solo, I want to hear emotion pouring out the fretboard, and that's what happens on this album - just hair raising moments, time and time again.

Edu reminds me at times of Bruce Dickinson circa Powerslave. I'd love to hear Angra do a Maiden cover (other than Number of the Beast) that would really stretch the vocals, say, something like Aces High, Powerslave, or Rime of the Ancient Mariner. (I asked Edu about this at PPIII and he mentioned Back in the Village as an option!).

I've always said, the whole point of 'melodic metal' is to be melodic. So many bands fail at this, unlike Angra. If you don't like melody, then fine, absolutely steer clear, but if you're ok with progressive metal with melodious solos and catchy choruses, then by all means check this mofo out!

Black Winter Day said:
So this is like... not gay? Wow. Maybe I'll pick it up if the store has it for $2 (and sometimes they do have newer power metal for real cheap in used bins marked GAY METAL).
Hmm, if you've turned away from traditional heavy metal entirely, then steer clear. I mean, I would never recommend this to someone like J or Erik. People who like Maiden, Blind Guardian, Symphony X (all in a VERY Brazillian capsule) are more likely going to appreciate this....or if you don't like old Angra, then this is hardly a radical departure. It's just a better variation of an existing blueprint.

P.S. Note "Summoning vs. Blind Guardian" thread - if you're selling off all your trad or old school heavy metal stuff, include it in the trade list or whatever. People will be interested!

That's the thing... I don't hate traditional metal. I've always loved Savatage, Gamma Ray, Iron Maiden, Queensryche, King Diamond, Insane Clown Posse, Helloween, Blind Guardain and (to an extent) Symphony X. But it all comes back to that same old argumet: If I already have all this stuff, is there any reason to buy the second-tier stuff (I'm assuming the new Angra isn't on the same level as Maiden or anything).

Black Winter Day said:
That's the thing... I don't hate traditional metal. I've always loved Savatage, Gamma Ray, Iron Maiden, Queensryche, King Diamond, Insane Clown Posse, Helloween, Blind Guardain and (to an extent) Symphony X.
Insane Clown Posse? :loco:

Otherwise, it would be interesting to see how you differentiate those bands listed from the "gay" bands you spoke of earlier. I guess people either like the genre or they don't, although I can see people liking Maiden and King Diamond and not anything 'power metal' post Helloween, but you listed all of them together, that's why I'm having a hard time here....

But it all comes back to that same old argumet: If I already have all this stuff, is there any reason to buy the second-tier stuff (I'm assuming the new Angra isn't on the same level as Maiden or anything).
First of all, nothing is on the same level as Iron Maiden. :cool: With that said, Angra have been around for years and easily headline festivals, so they're veterans of the game.

Secondly, you could apply that argument to any genre in reality. How much * more* fucking black metal or death metal do we all REALLY need?? :lol:

NOTE: Within the confines of traditional / power / melodic metal, this Angra album is fucking killer, and probably some of the best NEW [melodic] metal I have heard in years, no lie. I agree with Zod's review 100%.

Black Winter Day said:
That's the thing... I don't hate traditional metal. I've always loved Savatage, Gamma Ray, Iron Maiden, Queensryche, King Diamond, Insane Clown Posse, Helloween, Blind Guardain and (to an extent) Symphony X. But it all comes back to that same old argumet: If I already have all this stuff, is there any reason to buy the second-tier stuff (I'm assuming the new Angra isn't on the same level as Maiden or anything).
It's one of those CDs that gets better with every listen. This CD will probably be my #2 CD of 2004. If your tastes stretch beyond the more extreme aspects of Metal, you'll find the new Angra grounded in what most people love about traditional Metal, but with enough variation not to leave you thinking, "been there, done that" .

Zod

JayKeeley said:
Insane Clown Posse? :loco:
Whoops... how did that get in there???

Otherwise, it would be interesting to see how you differentiate those bands listed from the "gay" bands you spoke of earlier. I guess people either like the genre or they don't, although I can see people liking Maiden and King Diamond and not anything 'power metal' post Helloween, but you listed all of them together, that's why I'm having a hard time here....
Gay = same old shit. No innovation. Soaring vocals, twiddly guitar solos, keyboards, etc., everything that the innovators did so much better. Don't pretend like you don't know what I'm talking about here. :loco: I listed them all together for everal reasons: 1) it's an eclectic grouping, everything from the 'tage to the King has been called power metal; it covers all boundaries of the genre 2) they were all original in their own rights 3) they all fucking rule.

Secondly, you could apply that argument to any genre in reality. How much * more* fucking black metal or death metal do we all REALLY need?? :lol:
So very true... which is why I hardly ever buy any Black Metal (or Death Metal, Thrash, Progressive Metal) anymore unless it has something that sets it apart from the rest, either by being experimental and original or just totally fucking awesome. I'll basically buy it if it has any combination of great songwriting, originality, experimentalism or musicianship.

NOTE: Within the confines of traditional / power / melodic metal, this Angra album is fucking killer, and probably some of the best NEW [melodic] metal I have heard in years, no lie. I agree with Zod's review 100%.
I'll do some downloading or something. But everything I've heard about it sounds like the type of Power Metal I would enjoy.

Black Winter Day said:
Gay = same old shit. No innovation. Soaring vocals, twiddly guitar solos, keyboards, etc., everything that the innovators did so much better.
Dude, Angra *are* innovators - they started this Brazillian prog-power style back in the early 90s. The two guitarists are probably the most innovative, emotion-led players I've heard in the genre. Have you heard any Angra before? Check their profile: http://www.librariusmetallicus.com/?table=band&id=83

I'll do some downloading or something. But everything I've heard about it sounds like the type of Power Metal I would enjoy.
Good idea.

There's a variation of tracks on the album - the track with Kai Hansen sounds like Gamma Ray x 100, the track with Hansi Kursch sounds like Blind Guardian x 100. Otherwise, the rest is all very much 'Angra' - brazillian flair and forward thinking song structures, within the genre - they are not breaking boundaries outside of what they do. This isn't wank metal in other words.

JayKeeley said:
Dude, Angra *are* innovators - they started this Brazillian prog-power style back in the early 90s. The two guitarists are probably the most innovative, emotion-led players I've heard in the genre. Have you heard any Angra before? Check their profile: http://www.librariusmetallicus.com/?table=band&id=83
I've heard some of "Holy Land" and I remember liking it. "Fireworks" is still on my tradelist, I believe... it never really impressed me.

BTW, I never meant to suggest that Angra were of the "gay crowd" :tickled: . I'll probably give this stuff a try if I find it cheap and/or used.

Black Winter Day said:
I've heard some of "Holy Land" and I remember liking it. "Fireworks" is still on my tradelist, I believe...
Any chance you can make an actual trade list of all the power stuff you've currently listed as "...and a bunch of power metal"? :tickled: