Animals As Leaders video premier

What do you guys like about this?

That's a serious question, and I'm not trying to be a dick either.. It just sounds like a bunch of metal riffs with shredding over it mashed together very sloppily.
I don't think this song is really the best example of what I love about the record. If I had to define it I'd say that it is a fantastic mix of technicality, melodicism and an honest expansion of the tonality of the metal pallet.

I listened through this album one time and it didn't work for me neither.
They're VERY talented but If I was lying in a couch while listening to this song I would probably fall asleep after 2 minutes.

Same thread, this is what I wrote on another forum.

Clip quality far outshines that of the music and production quality IMO. Good achievement there.

Can't help but feel that the music sounds really self-absorbed.

Also great watching the drummer play to something that sounds like Superior Drummer 2. Misha helped out with this didn't he? Sounds like his Bulb/Periphery drum presets.

No doubt they're very talented musicians and all, but that hasn't ever necessarily translated into emotive music. I love Meshuggah, they're my fave metal band, but I think these post-djent bands have kinda lost the plot and are still finding their way out of the maze of polyrhythms and back into writing actual songs.

Clip quality far outshines that of the music and production quality IMO. Good achievement there.

Also great watching the drummer play to something that sounds like Superior Drummer 2. Misha helped out with this didn't he? Sounds like his Bulb/Periphery drum presets.

No doubt they're very talented musicians and all, but that hasn't ever necessarily translated into emotive music. I love Meshuggah, they're my fave metal band, but I think these post-djent bands have kinda lost the plot and are still finding their way out of the maze of polyrhythms and back into writing actual songs.

Well said!

+ 1

man, i love technical music, but i hate music thats just cool part
after cool part without telling a story. again these guys have talent,
but to me writing music is the really hard part (there are millions of great guitarists out there...).
i mean take a paramore song and put a crazy tapping interlude with sick polyrhythms into that, that would blow my mind and surprise me.
but crazy crazy all the time without any context and (like sommeone said without any release) is like eating a handfull of pepper. it tastes "crazy", but id rather have my favorite meal flavored with just a little of that.

im in no way a fan of standards, and id love to have more bands try something different, but still make "music". this is just "being different" (without actually being different).

anyone listened to the guthrie govan erotic cakes album?
that is tasteful, i really love listening to this album. its got feel,
and guthrie owns everyone btw ;-)

I totally disagree with you guys on this point:lol:

Imo is aal one of the very very few ones with proper songs, not just 100 parts.

But thats a matter of taste, for me this is the first album from an instrumental band that completely sucked me in.

I don't think this song is really the best example of what I love about the record. If I had to define it I'd say that it is a fantastic mix of technicality, melodicism and an honest expansion of the tonality of the metal pallet.

+20

anyone listened to the guthrie govan erotic cakes album?
that is tasteful, i really love listening to this album. its got feel,
and guthrie owns everyone btw ;-)

Yes!!! Govan is incredible...that's one of the few "shred" albums that I can sit down and listen to. I need to pick up the AAL album, though...I really dig what I've heard from it.

Yes!!! Govan is incredible...that's one of the few "shred" albums that I can sit down and listen to. I need to pick up the AAL album, though...I really dig what I've heard from it.

hehe, yeah man, this guy has tons of expression in his playing AND
also is such a humble guy. do you know the song "seven(s)",
the most tasteful way of using tapping ever in that interlude section.
guthrie is (for me) one of the few "shred"guitarists out there with soul.

Playing is incredible, song is incredibly boring

I'm gonna have to agree with this one. When I first heard Point to Point, I was really excited, half-way through the song I was like "wow I wonder where they're going to take this" and then... poof. nothing. 1:44 song over. None of their other songs (except Song of Solomon) have anything in them that I find more than just a curiousity that's interesting at first, but gets boring pretty quickly.

And although Tosin is an incredibly versatile and technically proficient guitarist, I really don't care much for his stuff. And that's just the writing, not the production.

Hell, Ben Sharp's production isn't exactly awesome, and he's not a Tosin or Misha as far as playing goes, either, but his songs flow in a way that is very appealing and are much more exciting to me than AAL's technical wankery.

Love the music, hate the mushy tone.

+1

I'm gonna have to agree with this one. When I first heard Point to Point, I was really excited, half-way through the song I was like "wow I wonder where they're going to take this" and then... poof. nothing. 1:44 song over.

And although Tosin is an incredibly versatile and technically proficient guitarist, I really don't care much for his stuff. And that's just the writing, not the production.

Hell, Ben Sharp's production isn't exactly awesome, and he's not a Tosin or Misha, either, but his songs flow and are much more exciting to me than AAL's technical wankery.

My mate told me that Misha actually played some of the guitars on the CAFO song, and that he programmed all the drums on the album but he might be wrong haha

reminds me a little of this... add tons of synths and dfh:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BgNhR9oisM&feature=related[/ame]

:) just kidding.