Anneke van Giersbergen quits The Gathering

dcowboys311

Sep 13, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Well this just sucks :(

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=73995

Anneke van Giersbergen, singer for world-renowned Dutch rock act THE GATHERING, has decided to leave the band and pursue new goals in life and music.

In a statement from van Giersbergen, she says: "Dear people, I wanted to send out this message to all of you to inform you that I have decided to leave THE GATHERING.

"After much consideration and some serious soul searching, I feel that it is time for me to change my direction in life and develop and search out new goals.

"In all the wonderful years that I have been a part of THE GATHERING, we, as a band, have always strongly believed in sincerity, both personally and within our music. I have always been able to give one hundred percent of myself to the band and its music. Over the last year I developed an urge to initiate my activities from a different place in my heart, focusing on myself and my family.

"In order to stay true to myself, the band, crew and the fans, I see no other option than to leave the band and pursue my new goals in life and music.

"I loved my 13 years with THE GATHERING and I take pride in all the beautiful music we have made together and will always cherish the good times we shared on the road and in the studio. The decision to leave all of this behind has been incredibly difficult, but since it's made from the heart, I strongly believe that I have to go with it. Although it saddens me to say goodbye, I have made a lot of exciting plans for the future both personally and professionally.

"Thank you for all the love and support and I hope we will meet again in life and music."

The band has posted a statement on its web site regarding the singer's departure. It reads as follows:

"We are very sorry to announce the fact that Anneke has decided to leave the band [effective] August 2007. Anneke has several reasons not to be a member anymore. We really regret the fact we could not find a way to continue together. However, we (THE GATHERING) will be working on new material with male and female vocalists. Expect a CD release somewhere in 2008.

"With Anneke we've made great albums and did fantastic shows, which we are very proud of! We had a great time! We wish Anneke all the best for the future.

"The remaining festivals we will play together with Anneke. No new gigs will be scheduled. The last gig with Anneke will be the Ankkarock Festival in Finland, the 4th of August. Also the new DVD, 'A Noise Severe', as well as the double live CD will still be released this summer."

THE GATHERING released its latest album, "Home", in April 2006 on The End Records.

Double damn! That's one band I had wanted to see but never was able to. It will be interesting to see what fruit her future musical ambitions will bear. In my humble opinion her voice was one of the very best I have heard.

well this blows, I never got to see them and I would have liked to. I wonder if that tour with LC has happened yet. I dont remeber how close they were coming to me, but I have to make a drive.

I now really wish I had seen them again when they played the Middle East in Boston last summer. I know a lot of people haven't liked the direction the band took long ago, but I've really liked all of their work. At least I got to see them the one time.
It kind of sounds to me like she wants to focus on her family and less on music or at least all the traveling that comes with being in a band.
And I'm glad you quoted the whole article. Last thing I want to see is all the childish blabbermouth replies after news like this. :(

That definitely sucks, I really love her voice. At least we can look forward to hearing her voice in future too. I might actually be able to see that very last concert with Anneke at the Ankkarock festival - I haven't seen them live since 1998 so I better use this last chance to see them now with this lineup!

Mmm... Wasn't actually planning to go to Ankkarock this summer, but might have to re-think visiting there on Saturday if I'll be able, because of this news. I'd really love to catch her last gig with The Gathering. Too bad the rest of bands won't be of much interest. Decisions...

This is going to hurt the band severely. 'Tis a shame. I guess we can definitely rule out that U.S. tour now.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

Well this just sucks :(

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=73995

Anneke van Giersbergen, singer for world-renowned Dutch rock act THE GATHERING, has decided to leave the band and pursue new goals in life and music.

In a statement from van Giersbergen, she says: "Dear people, I wanted to send out this message to all of you to inform you that I have decided to leave THE GATHERING.

"After much consideration and some serious soul searching, I feel that it is time for me to change my direction in life and develop and search out new goals."

THE GATHERING released its latest album, "Home", in April 2006 on The End Records.

This doesn't surprise me. My wife and I saw The Gathering on the Hottest Chicks in Metal tour here in Grand Rapids last month. Stolen Babies, In This Moment, The Gathering, and Lacuna Coil played that night and of the four bands, I'd have to say The Gathering was the weakest. Or, at best, tied with Stolen Babies.

It wasn't that Anneke doesn't have a great voice. But their entire set was low-energy (especially following the extremely high-energy set played by In This Moment) with songs sounding too similar.

Anneke didn't really look into it. She didn't seem to be performing wholeheartedly. Now I know why.

Bill

Fuck... :(

I never felt this way towards a band breaking up/a member leaving a band.. I am totally devasted.. This makes me really sad! :(

I might go for her farewell gig in Finland in august...

I honestly stopped paying attention to this band after If Then Else, as they were just headed in a direction that I wasn't interested in. Nighttime Birds still goddamns owns, though.

Saw them live once in a tiny club in SF that was like watching a band play a show in the basement of your parents' house. It was a really good show and Anneke was an impressive vocalist. I look forward to checking out what she and The Gathering do next.

dt

Did you say the same thing about Nightwish when Tarja left?

Never! Tarja was a Terrell Owens in the Nightwish clubhouse. Anneke was just plain burnt out. While Nightwish is enjoying their upswing without that cancer eating away at them, Anneke had the common sense to get out when she did. Sadly, most of their best work was done with Anneke. I doubt very seriously they can reach those heights again.

I haven't been into them since Nighttime Birds.....it was too shoegazer for me after that. She's a heck of a singer though.

As much as I love the metal bands with female vocals, I never really got into The Gathering. They just never had enough energy or power for me. Maybe I wasn't listening to the right stuff, but they just never grabbed me. I hope with this new band, Anneke gets to move a little more towards the metal side of things and get a better chance to show off her talent as a vocalist.

Well, now I'm glad I went to that crappy club, The Metro, last month and saw them live. Wasn't the best of shows due to heat, crappy sound and low band energy (yea, I noticed it too.) But still, I enjoyed Anneke's singing and I'm glad I didn't miss the opportunity. Best of luck to her and the band.

Well, now I'm glad I went to that crappy club, The Metro, last month and saw them live. Wasn't the best of shows due to heat, crappy sound and low band energy (yea, I noticed it too.) But still, I enjoyed Anneke's singing and I'm glad I didn't miss the opportunity. Best of luck to her and the band.

Yeah, I agree.. That show was pretty crappy.. By far the worst The Gathering show I've seen...
The band was pissed off, the heat was umbearable, sound was bad, short set list...
But Anneke is amazing.. I don't know how The Gathering will replace her... Even if the new singer is good.. The lyrics, the charisma, her stage presence.. That's going to be hard to top..

And I absolutely love new the Gathering.. And the Gathering that I love is the NEW the gathering.. I seem to be in the minority here on this board.. But I think the band improved with time, Souvenirs being my favorite album (one of the best albums ever, imo)...
I don't even like Nighttime Birds that much...