Annihilator rips off Black Sabbath?

Alice in Hell was good, but on the whole average band. Still, it's fuckloads better than MOD/SOD (anything is, really)!

Never really liked MOD, but SOD>You. And Jeff Waters was a genious, he wasn't just a shredder like most thrash guitarists, he was an actual musician.

Never really liked MOD, but SOD>You. And Jeff Waters was a genious, he wasn't just a shredder like most thrash guitarists, he was an actual musician.

Jeff Waters a genius??? Man, that's bit of a stretch, isn't it? Where's the evidence of that?:zombie:

"Genius" is used far too loosely. Bach was a musical genius...Mozart was a musical genius...Paganini was a musical genius...Jeff Waters really fits that mold?

Jeff Waters, hands down is an awesome guitarist. As it goes for writing music, he is average if that. In every Annihilator album after Never, Neverland, there has been a lot of cheezy songs. For some reason, Jeff likes to write a hard rock song (or two) in each of his albums, and it just doesn't fit in speed/thrash metal band.

Jeff needs to ditch Dave Padden, get someone to help him write better lyrics, and keep hard rock stuff out of Annihilator.

It's not so much Water's song-writting that's amazing, but his extremely creative solo-ing. Just look at "The Dagger", "Sixes and Sevens", "Phantasmagoria", and pretty much every solo from "Never, Neverland". He can write both extremely melodic and at the same time technical solos that sound like nothing he's done before, and he does so in almost every song he plays.

Set the World on Fire was the worst album ever made.

Knight Jumps Queen if you know what I mean. Anticipation of the final scene.

Jeff's solo's are amazing, unfortunately his song writing has definitely gone down over the years. I think the best album's Jeff wrote were Alice in Hell, Never, Neverland & Criteria for a Black Widow (minus the song for Criteria).

Set the World on Fire maybe had 1 or 2 good songs, the rest was hard rock crap.

Jeff Waters, hands down is an awesome guitarist. As it goes for writing music, he is average if that. In every Annihilator album after Never, Neverland, there has been a lot of cheezy songs. For some reason, Jeff likes to write a hard rock song (or two) in each of his albums, and it just doesn't fit in speed/thrash metal band.

Jeff needs to ditch Dave Padden, get someone to help him write better lyrics, and keep hard rock stuff out of Annihilator.

Ok...I did some listening. First off...IMO...Annihilator sounds like a combo of Metal Church at its best and Testament at its worst. Jeff Waters is like a George Lynch type...not a particularly great sense of melody, not particularly flashy(which isn't a bad thing), and not a very diverse bag of tricks. He's a good, solid, competent player, but nothing earth shattering. Certainly nothing in the realms of "genius".

Of course, again, I state this is my opinion. I don't know if the guys here who were praising Waters are players themselves or not, maybe that's the difference. To each his own.

And by the way...whoever recommended Never, Neverland owes me 10 bucks.

I should have gone with my gut on this one.

Ok...I did some listening. First off...IMO...Annihilator sounds like a combo of Metal Church at its best and Testament at its worst. Jeff Waters is like a George Lynch type...not a particularly great sense of melody, not particularly flashy(which isn't a bad thing), and not a very diverse bag of tricks. He's a good, solid, competent player, but nothing earth shattering. Certainly nothing in the realms of "genius".

Of course, again, I state this is my opinion. I don't know if the guys here who were praising Waters are players themselves or not, maybe that's the difference. To each his own.

And by the way...whoever recommended Never, Neverland owes me 10 bucks.

I should have gone with my gut on this one.

It's hit or miss with Annihilator. Some people love em' (especially their 1st 2 albums), others have mixed opinions of them.

Well enough about Annihilator, I'm looking forward to seeing M.O.D. again in a week and a half.:headbang:

But that doesn't make sense, Testament slaughters Metal Church.

Just saying that I hear them both in there...I agree with you but, like I said, they sound like the worst of Testament...Testament isn't all good...they have some weak stuff too...they have some great stuff as well. I love The Legacy, Low and The Gathering....the rest is...eh.

Just saying that I hear them both in there...I agree with you but, like I said, they sound like the worst of Testament...Testament isn't all good...they have some weak stuff too...they have some great stuff as well. I love The Legacy, Low and The Gathering....the rest is...eh.

True, I wouldn't say Testament had any bad albums (Except maybe "Demonic", cause the guitar playing was entirely up to Peterson), but stuff like "Souls of Black" and "Practice What You Preach" were pretty much a few really good songs with a lot of filler =S

Anyways, their new album is gunna kick ass! :headbang:

True, I wouldn't say Testament had any bad albums (Except maybe "Demonic", cause the guitar playing was entirely up to Peterson), but stuff like "Souls of Black" and "Practice What You Preach" were pretty much a few really good songs with a lot of filler =S

Anyways, their new album is gunna kick ass! :headbang:

Yeah...I really don't like "Practice What You Preach" at all...guitar solo on the opener is great though. Scolnick is a great player.