Annual Auslander update

NK

Complete Bastard
Sep 8, 2001
USA
www.auslander.net
The annual Auslander shameless plug-fest.

Sorry, but this is a bit late this year as I've been really busy and hadn't got round to it until now.

The year has started off well with the recent self-titled release from Degree Absolute (Sensory) and the soon to be released remix of Torture's classic "Storm Alert" (Escapi). Lots of things coming up soon, including the new Sickening Horror (featuring George Kollias - drummer from Nile), the new album from Bugdust (great hard rock from Australia), the new album from Pamela Moore (Queensryche). All three of these are currently at the mastering stage.

Projects currently in production include the new album by Ion Vein (Chicago), the new album by Aesma Daeva (Wisconsin/Minnesota), and an untitled project made up of former members of Java and Serpoids (Chicago). Also, the new Tapping the Vein, for which we're waiting for Heather to recuperate from a nasty bout of fall/winter allergies.

There are a number of upcoming albums and very interesting projects on the horizon, and I'll post more details on these as they become available.

Also, Auslander is always looking for up and coming talent in all musical areas, and we love to get involved with promising artists to help them get their music out onto the market, whether it be in the form of full on production projects, or just mixing something they already have recorded to make it sound as powerful as possible. We've done many projects of this type over the years and have a long list of satisfied customers.

More info is available at:

http://auslander.net

(regrettably, the website is a tad out of date at the moment, but will be fully updated in the near future).

Cheers

Neil Kernon

NK said:
Also, Auslander is always looking for up and coming talent in all musical areas, and we love to get involved with promising artists to help them get their music out onto the market, whether it be in the form of full on production projects, or just mixing something they already have recorded to make it sound as powerful as possible.

Neil,

With the recent home recording explosion (still in progress mind you), do guys like you expect to be doing more mixing and less recording? I know that if I was in a serious band and was real serious about the music I was writing I'd consider doing it that way. Recording my own stuff to get it uber-tight without having to worry about money and then having a guru like you or Andy mix it.

I already do loads of mixing for bands who've recorded their own stuff on their own. I think it's very important to nurture and develop talent - that's something that many labels have dropped the ball on, so I'm constantly on the lookout for cool bands and artists who have a vision for themselves but can't find a fit with a label. It's vital to keep the music alive, and to keep individuality alive, rather than allow yourself to be shoved down the "clone machine pipe" and lose that individual spark.

I'm not really sure how Andy works, but this method works nicely for me. I've been working in Pro Tools now for 5-6 years, and in 2002 I got my HD system, so I'm able to accommodate a lot of different levels of projects and make things work financially for everyone.

Basically, as long as there's music being made, there are people out there who are ready to help transform your project into something that is sonically worthy of a label release, but for a lot less money than used to be the case. Technology has really allowed me to help the artist bridge that gap, a gap that was previously too wide for an artist's budget to accommodate.

So, I do what I like to call "homegrown" projects in between my label work. It helps keep the community alive and well and brings a different level of quality to the average band or artist, something that was only previously available with the support of a record label.

Great, you gonna do the Sickening Horror!? Amazing! I'm looking forward to it.

Some Questions Neil:

- Are you mixing Cubase-Projects also? Or just protools
- About the name "Auslander": What is the resaon for this name? I'm asking because I'm from Austria, and in our Language (it's german as well) there's the word "Ausländer". But written with "ä" instead of "a". And it means foreigner.

Was this the idea about it, or am I completely wrong?

Hi Pinhead! Welcome to the forum. Vienna huh..? I hear it's a beautiful city.

I've already mixed the Sickening Horror stuff. It's at mastering as I write this.

I don't actually work in Cubase myself, but I can certainly mix projects that were tracked in Cubase, if you consolidate the files and export them in either WAV or AIFF format, I can then drag them into Pro Tools and go from there. Works just fine, as long as all the files are consolidated to have a unified start time (for example a vocal comprising of say 30 different chunks of audio - that just needs to be combined into one file that can be dragged into Pro Tools). I do this sort of project a lot and it works great. In fact, the SH stuff was tracked in Nuendo and the files were sent to me with this done. Made things really easy and quick to set up.

The reason I chose "Auslander" was simply because I'm originally from London, and now live in the US, so I'm indeed a foreigner here. I chose that name over another couple of contenders when deciding on a suitable name for my production company. It had a nice ring to it, plus, as I say, it fits.

That's basically it.

NK said:
Hi Pinhead! Welcome to the forum. Vienna huh..? I hear it's a beautiful city.

Oh thanks, I'm surfing around in your forum for quite some time already. btw...It's great to have this direct access to you, and that u answer all questions. :worship:

Yeah, Vienna. It's nice here. If you should come to Europe again, give it a visit. ( and tell me, hehe)
Do you come around a lot in your job?