Auslander update

NK

Complete Bastard
Sep 8, 2001
USA
www.auslander.net
Hi all:

I'm finally (sort of) back in the land of the living after yet another prolonged road trip. I apologise for the lack of updates as it's been a very busy year, so I'll try to make this a fairly thorough update.

The new Akercocke album is about to come out next week. I'm really pleased with the way it came out. Reviews so far have been really strong.

I'm about to do a re-re-mix of two songs for the upcoming Bugdust album. The album was tracked and mixed in Texas at Sonic Ranch and then a few weeks later after some touring we added some more vocals and guitar to a few of the songs, so I then remixed that stuff here in Chicago. Now with these two final touchups we should be ready to go to mastering. I'm sure these guys are going to be huge. Killer rock and roll from OZ!

I'm about 75% of the way through tracking the new Tapping The Vein album. The material is really great. We're presently waiting for Heather to recover from a particularly nasty bout with strep throat. When she's back up and running we'll finish recording her vocals. The stuff she's already done is incredible though, so be prepared.

The Pamela Moore sessions are also about 75% complete. We had to temporarily put the recordings on the back burner some time ago due to Pam's pressing touring commitments with Queensryche. Expect some very cool guest appearances on this album as well. Pam's got one vocal to sing - so far she's done an amazing job, as has her co-writer Benjamin Anderson. We should resume this project sometime in November I would think.

The Degree Absolute album release has apparently been pushed back to January - a good move I think. Cheers for that decision, Ken.. Very wise.

The new album by Prototype has been mastered and is apparently being shopped as I write this. I think it came out really well.

I'm about to start prepro on a number of Chicago-based projects. More specific updates will follow as the schedules unfold. I also have a few very interesting albums to mix in the coming months, so I'll post more info on those as they swing into view.

Take care everyone!

Neil K.

Neil,

Glad to hear you were finally able to come home to roost after your long trip.

Have a beer on me (I'll reimburse you later), and here's hoping my Bengals can play your Cheifs in the post season this year. (I can't remember the last time I mentioned Bengals and post-season in the same sentence without laughing or crying.)

Cheers,

Ken

Hey Neil,

What kinda music does The Degree Absolute play?

I like your work on the new Akercocke disc. Did you intentionally go for that relatively drier sound? Here is my review of it at Sea of Tranquility.

DA is hard to describe. A bit progmetal-ish, but with all sorts of other flavours..

As far as the sonic approach for the Akercocke..yes it was intentional. I mixed it with band members present and they were very happy with things.

Hopefully this helps..

Neil K

batmura said:
Hey Neil,

What kinda music does The Degree Absolute play?

I like your work on the new Akercocke disc. Did you intentionally go for that relatively drier sound? Here is my review of it at Sea of Tranquility.

Thanks so much for the very nice review. Just so you know...I didn't produce the album, I mixed it.

This time around, I was also able to help guide the recording process with sundry recording/signal path suggestions etc. as things moved along. Oh, and by the way, I also mixed "Choronzon". The big difference for me this time around was that I was able to oversee the mixing and the mastering. All things considred, I'm really pleased with the end result.

Cheers

Neil

Hey Ben..

The DA is really good. I think it will surprise a lot of people. Lots of different stuff going on.

Looking forward to the Ephel a lot too!

Neil K.

Does anyone know what Tapping the Vein sounds like? Maybe Neil could answer this?

Hey Neil, sorry to bother you with my ramblings, but I just felt the need to once again point out that you are the godliest producer in the universe. I love your work and can't wait for the Degree Absolute disc since I'm sure it's gonna rock.

Murat

Of course I know what they sound like, silly!

Batmura, I certainly very much appreciate your extremely kind words. I'd also like to compliment you on your superb album reviews. I read a load of them last night on Amazon - very nicely thought out and well put together in my opinion. Keep up the great work! I expect they have helped many a customer make up their mind.

Neil K.