Another album falls prey to the loudness wars.

GarethSE

New Metal Member
Jul 5, 2008
The Faceless - Planetary Duality is pretty much unlistenable.

I've been looking forward to this album for months and within 30 seconds I had to turn it off because it's hurting my ears.

Ugh.

Jesus christ monkeyballs that was squashed. D:

Seriously, it sounds just as bad as Death Magnetic.

Is this the actual compact disc, or the mp3 leak?

Because I wouldn't be surprised if the mp3 leak was squashed, i'll wait for the album to come out

I hope this isn't official, the tracks i've heard from the album are seriously good, and the copies I have do not sound that bad.

EDIT:
Haha, maybe they do, just loaded a couple into cubase and they are pretty damn squashed. Still, we can wait til the 11th to find out if its official

This is what I wanna know.
I wouldn't expect Michael Keene to be the one to undo his work by smashing it to this level.
+1

I still really rate the mix, the toms sounds fat and the snare is unusually natural sounding. Guitars are nice n clean too.

Lyle Cooper laid the drums down on this album, so it's not programmed like previous releases. The drums are still quantized, although not too crazy because Lyle is a machine.

~006

I'm not loving the album, but it has its moments. Anyway, I don't think the album is THAT smashed - it's peaking at -8.5 dB RMS at its loudest parts, while Metallica's latest effort loves going into the -6 dB RMS territory.

Nothing is quite as bad as Death Magnetic, but there's so many points where you can hear the vocals and snare audibly ducking down when riffs come in and it's just ew.
-8.5db isn't exactly that great a volume either.

This is just silly, I'm listening to it now and it sounds like balls. I'm thinking whoever let this slip fucked the files over on purpose. I'ts not like it's been mastered to be really loud, more like someone just stuck a limiter across the 2bus and smashed the crap out of it on purpose. I'm assuming this is some sort of way to make people who download the pre-released leak version still want the actual album...