Another best 5 albums thread (90's and clean vox only)

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
So I've somehow got back in touch with a couple of old friends that I went to college with between 89-92. They were into metal, listened to all sorts of metal (Slayer, Savatage, Testament) and then thought metal died when Kurt Cobain and his Seattle counterparts arrived. I don't think they even realize that a 90's scene existed.

Can you help me with 5 excellent examples of what's come out since 1990/91 with clean vocals only (up to and including thrash style vox, not extreme death grunts or black screams).

:Spin:

Iced Earth - pick your favorite (The Dark Saga or Burnt Offerings is probably a good place to start)
Jag Panzer - Thane to the Throne
Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black
Control Denied - The Fragile Art of Existence
Aghora - Aghora

Those are some of the albums that I got into when I discovered that metal didn't die during the 90s.

Are we talking American only or overall here? I imagine we would just be doing America since metal didnt decay nearly as much in Europe as it did in the States during the 90's.

nah, any region will do. These folks are in England anyway where 99% of the public only listen to dance music anyway.

Good suggestions thus far actually.

Erik said:
But European metal in the 90's was mostly of the growly variety

Yeah, as much as I'd like to offer Opeth or Dark Tranquility, I do want to ease them into it a little.

I was even thinking of some Candlemass or Solitude Aeternus, but that is pretty exhausting too (specifically Nightfall and Depths anyway, which are the two albums I was thinking of).

I suppose I really have to consider Blind Guardian. These guys were big into Helloween up until Seven Keys part 2.

Or I could just skip the happy euro-melodies and go straight to Lost Horizon or perhaps even the Falconer debut?

Of course we've heard 'em and they rock

I would like to recommend FORBIDDEN - Twisted Into Form and HEATHEN - Victims of Deception and CANDLEMASS - Chapter VI and DESTRUCTION - The Antichrist and Twisted Tower Dire - Something and OVERLORDE - Snow Giant

Décadent said:
Goat Horn - Storming the Gates

Seriously, has no-one but Demilich and I heard these guys?

Yah, and it's fuckin headbanging bliss. I love the 1987 CD layout too

Tough to choose only 5, so here are 5 and another 5:

Psychotic Waltz - Into The Everflow
Sanctuary - Into The Mirror Black
Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black
Saviour Machine - s/t
Shadow Gallery - Tyranny

the "another 5"

Solitude Aeturnus - Into The Depths Of Sorrow
Fates Warning - Parallels
Cathedral - The Ethereal Mirror
Count Raven - Destruction Of The Void