Another clothing thread

MarcusGHedwig

Mar 21, 2010
New York
www.myspace.com
Ok guys, especially fashionfags like Jeff, what are some popular stores I can go to for metal-looking (dark colored, reserved) stylish apparel? Shirts specifically, but I'd sooner go shirtless than wear anything with a conspicuous brand name, message, logo, etc. - if my clothes are gonna say or show something memorable, it better mean something to me (for example, a band name, guitar/recording gear company, etc.)

EDIT: Actually, logos are cool (maybe even preferable) as long as they're indistinct and not immediately identifiable with something - see a couple posts down for examples

So lay it on me!

Underwear
Hipster
Redneck
Skater

Thanks, but not quite what I'm after :D Here are some examples of the flyest mofos in metal IMO:

Reminds+me+Adam+quot+Nergal+quot+Darski+from+Behemoth+_95c1066b7dcd1fc6eb9530cbf2a1b87e.jpg

Gojira.jpg

I guess the type of "logos" on Adam and Joe's shirts would be acceptable because they're kinda indistinct and just generally cool, rather than some big fat brand name ironed-on right in the middle

I guess the type of "logos" on Adam and Joe's shirts would be acceptable because they're kinda indistinct and just generally cool, rather than some big fat brand name ironed-on right in the middle

Regular high-street clothes then?

I mentioned those 4 because you can get cheap/good quality logo-less t-shirts/shirts.
You don't need to buy the hipster male leggings or whatever the fuck they sell! :lol:

I tend to stick with companies like Express for jeans and dressier things. Also Banana Republic for dressier stuff. I tend to like Obey clothing for t-shirts. Also I like Dravus a lot.

Haha, yeah, I appreciate the suggestions and I see what you mean - revised the OP to clarify (what are high-street clothes though?)

I don't quite know how to explain it. I guess in the States it would be shops like American Eagle, Abercrombie, GAP...?? Not a "style" per se.
You know, stuff that most people who aren't completely averse to popular fashion, and aren't part of a sub-culture wear. Dudes that wear t-shirt and jeans, but sometimes dress up in order to stand a higher chance of getting their dick wet.

Jeans: Levi's 511, 514, 513, or 508 in a dark, undistressed wash. 511 is a slim cut; if your thighs are bigger go with the 514. 514 doesn't taped from knee to leg like I prefer, so the 513/508 is the same cut but tapered below the knee for a smaller leg opening. Other than Levi's the only jeans I really like are selvedge; we could do another thread on selvedge denim alone, as the material/process/theory behind it is pretty different, and most people find the idea of wearing jeans for 8 months without washing them a bit extreme.

Chinos: Dockers D1. If your ass/theighs don't fit then go D2 but I'd rather size up in D1 than switch to D2 in the same size; the cut is just far better. Stick with colors like grey, charcoal, navy, khaki, buckskin, and olive.

T-shirts: Target's house brand Mossimo makes the absolute best fitting and quality crew and v-neck shirts for the money as far as I'm concerned ($10 each). 90% of the time I'd say a V-neck looks better than a crew neck, and I'd stick to natural, heathered colors (grey, charcoal, navy, brown, maroon, lavender, etc). On t-shirts black/white is generally fine, but people generally think they're more neutral than they are (charcoal is way more versatile/neutral than black, for instance).

Shirts: Dress shirts are another story, but casual button-ups and OCBD's (oxford cloth button down, it's a really specific fabric) are literally all about fit (technically everything should be fit-focused, but button-ups/downs are the easiest to fuck up). Target's Merona has some great OCBD's and a few gingham/bengal stripe and solid colored shirts that fit most frames pretty well. I'm a big fan of JCrew's specific cut, and Uniqlo (when they're in stock) is insane bang-for-buck. JCPenney's spring line is also really leaps and bounds ahead of what they used to offer; their shirts and even blazers look pretty awesome this season, but that's no surprise considering Nick Wooster was the guy behind it.

I'd read the sidebar over at http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashionadvice when you get some time to sit down with it - they go into more detail explaining the reasoning behind these choices. They also do multiple WAYWT and outfit/fit check threads every week; if you're seriously interested in dressing better it's a great resource and I'm constantly saving pictures to specific folders as inspiration for different styles, seasons, color schemes, 'themes,' etc.

Thanks Jeff, I'll definitely check out that thread, and I've been wearing Levi's 514's for the last ~3 years, so at least I'm set there hah - but I seem to remember in my last clothing thread you were in favor of higher-priced jeans like Diesel for the fit?

I tend to stick with companies like Express for jeans and dressier things. Also Banana Republic for dressier stuff. I tend to like Obey clothing for t-shirts. Also I like Dravus a lot.

Obey is looking promising and definitely in the right direction, thanks dude! Dravus too - any other specific brand recommendations for shirts? (from you or anyone else, naturally)

I don't quite know how to explain it. I guess in the States it would be shops like American Eagle, Abercrombie, GAP...?? Not a "style" per se.
You know, stuff that most people who aren't completely averse to popular fashion, and aren't part of a sub-culture wear. Dudes that wear t-shirt and jeans, but sometimes dress up in order to stand a higher chance of getting their dick wet.

Pretty much described me in that second bit (guess I'm trying to distance myself from the traditional metal sub-culture), but man, AE and Abercrombie are just too teenaged-themed and douchey for me to handle - GAP is a bit conservative, but I like some of their stuff...

Thanks Jeff, I'll definitely check out that thread, and I've been wearing Levi's 514's for the last ~3 years, so at least I'm set there hah - but I seem to remember in my last clothing thread you were in favor of higher-priced jeans like Diesel for the fit?

As long as they're dark and undistressed you're ok - distressed and faded denim is basically the anti-poon.

As far as the more expensive stuff, I realized that brands like Diesel, 7FAM, CoH, etc carry the price tag of selvedge but none of the benefits. Losing weight helped more with the fits than anything. :lol:

Jeans are kind of a pain in the ass for me, since everything's getting so fucking slim these days. Not saying you gotta go baggy, but, I aint tryin to look like some 80's bro in tightassed gear. As it is, for jeans, I tend to hit up nicer places and get shit on sale... last seasons jeans, not like it matters... so instead of spending $250, I spend more like... $75-$100 about on: Nudies, Joe's, AG, Hudson. The first two I listed make nice shirts and what not too.

Shirts are actually even MORE of a pain in the ass because I have such a radical "v" to my proportions... where my shoulders are so wide and arms so long... but if I wear XL's they float around my stomach making me look like a barrel-built fat fuck. You just want like t's and relatively chill button-ups I presume? Like some plaids or what not? H&M, Uniqlo, Nordstrom when shit's on sale... check this site:

revolveclothing.com

Gojira just wears form-fitting dark clothes. That's an easy pull. Just get something quality, because cheap shit is cheap for a reason... falls apart in the wash, at least from my experience. Not saying buy $400 Gucci shirts, but you can get like Kenneth Cole stuff at Macy's without breaking the bank.

http://www.hm.com/us/product/05329?article=05329-E

Good shirt there, pair it with good jeans, some fresh kicks and you're set.

with the exception of all my band tees (i've collected)... all of my clothes are jcrew.

without trying to sound like an utter preppy spokesperson for jcrew. i've worn their clothes since i was a kid and i have never worn a better denim or pair of slacks. but mostly because they don't visibly brand their clothing like everyone else on the planet does.

also, their plain cotton shirts are the most comfortable, too me. :)

Pretty much described me in that second bit (guess I'm trying to distance myself from the traditional metal sub-culture), but man, AE and Abercrombie are just too teenaged-themed and douchey for me to handle - GAP is a bit conservative, but I like some of their stuff...

I'm not really too aware of American only brands, so I was only guessing as to what brands fit the high-street descriptions. Abercrombie isn't really what I meant either, wrong choice.
Also... High Streets: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Street
I don't think they really exist outside of small towns in the States, not in the same way they do over here anyway.

Basically, I have no knowledge of US clothes outlets so I have no place advising you on this :lol:

Dude you don't need fashion, you have Tyreek. People will see him in the band and automatically think everybody else in the band is badass as shit. I miss him :(