Thank you Retail Stores of America

shreddy

Jul 26, 2002
Chicago
www.myspace.com
I've decided this year that I really hate my Winter coat, not the fact that its the color is UPS but more so that fact that its not warm enough to wear on its own. I always have to wear layers under it either a thin thermal jacket or a thick hoodie if its really cold, end result I'm wearing 10lbs of outer wear on and I'm still cold. Mission in hand get a proper Winter coat, in the past 2 weeks I went to 2 different Lands End stores, an Eddie Bauer store and another chain clothing store looking for a good Winter coat. Shockingly I couldn't find a Winter coat in any of these stores. Here I am looking at the 3 feet of freaking snow that just got dumped on us by the blizzard followed by sub 0 temps and the retail stores want me to think about buy a freaking Rain coat right now, FU!!! The sad thing is all these stores were completely empty geez I wonder why, possibly because its cold out and people cant leave their houses because they don't have a fucking Winter coat to go shopping for their rain coat.

Sure I understand that stores need to clean off shelf space for new stuff but these are good size stores that could have the space for 4 racks of clothes for the current season. Its not about fashion its about function, if its fucking cold you need something warm to wear now not 3 seasons down the road. What if someone moves to Chicago from Hawaii (because they're on freaking crack or something) or you zipper breaks, or rip you jacket or even loose your jacket, your screwed.

In the end my only option was to hit the Lands End web site and buy something blindly not knowing if its going to fit right, look ok etc.. The temp this morning was -5 UPS shows that the coat will be delivered either today or tomorrow, next week its going to hit 45 WTF!!!

Dude, shorts have been in Walmart since before xmas. I feel your pain though. I have very little in the way of warm clothes since I lived in San Diego for a decade. I got back East, and realized how fucking cold it was here, and went in search as well. I didn't find anything. I wasn't going to pay $200+ for a fancy ski jacket, but you might be willing to.

If you hit a sporting goods place that sells ski stuff, you'll probably find some things. Or look on Amazon, REI, etc. Let me save you some trouble though. If you see a Burlington Coat Factory someplace. Just skip it....you really aren't going to find what you're looking for. Trust me.

I've decided this year that I really hate my Winter coat, not the fact that its the color is UPS but more so that fact that its not warm enough to wear on its own. I always have to wear layers under it either a thin thermal jacket or a thick hoodie if its really cold, end result I'm wearing 10lbs of outer wear on and I'm still cold. Mission in hand get a proper Winter coat, in the past 2 weeks I went to 2 different Lands End stores, an Eddie Bauer store and another chain clothing store looking for a good Winter coat. Shockingly I couldn't find a Winter coat in any of these stores. Here I am looking at the 3 feet of freaking snow that just got dumped on us by the blizzard followed by sub 0 temps and the retail stores want me to think about buy a freaking Rain coat right now, FU!!! The sad thing is all these stores were completely empty geez I wonder why, possibly because its cold out and people cant leave their houses because they don't have a fucking Winter coat to go shopping for their rain coat.

Sure I understand that stores need to clean off shelf space for new stuff but these are good size stores that could have the space for 4 racks of clothes for the current season. Its not about fashion its about function, if its fucking cold you need something warm to wear now not 3 seasons down the road. What if someone moves to Chicago from Hawaii (because they're on freaking crack or something) or you zipper breaks, or rip you jacket or even loose your jacket, your screwed.

In the end my only option was to hit the Lands End web site and buy something blindly not knowing if its going to fit right, look ok etc.. The temp this morning was -5 UPS shows that the coat will be delivered either today or tomorrow, next week its going to hit 45 WTF!!!

So you're blaming the retailers because you were too late to the punch to buy a coat when they typically stock them? It's mid-February, Spring is like next month so why would they be stocking winter stuff now? Your best bet is to go to specialty stores.

My current coat is a Colombia and its crap, not as good as my last Lands End which had to get retired because it wasnt fitting anymore and the zipper was going. The Colomiba fine if down to 30 derees with out extra layers but thats getting old. The Lands End coat I just ordered is rated for temps -5 to -15.

Aeonic, you didnt get my point.

Kutte or nothing at all!!!!
Kutte2.JPG

I instantly hate anyone I see in anything Northface.

+1

those jackets spread quicker in the city than smallpox in the 1800's

my winter jacket has lasted so far 12 years and going strong. You can see it in the Chicago Axis picture or Neils stalking picture of me. This thing is great...I actualyl have to keep it unzipped because it keeps me too warm that I will sweat.

I take public trans to downtown Chicago for work and see lots of people wearing Norther Face, people aren't wearing them to be trendy, wait for a CTA bus for 20 min in sub-zero temps and you dont care what that tag says on the jacket. My gloves are North Face and they're super thin and keep my hands warm as long as I'm not getting them wet.

I am not saying they are trendy....just, I have never seen that brand and all the sudden the whole city is wearing it. It is crazy. My body always runs warm so I rarely wear a hat or gloves.

This thread = Potential!

For me personally, I don't even own a really heavy jacket, as I drive to work. I am not outside very often for any great length of time. I have a GAP puffy jacket, or whatever you would call it, that has lasted almost 10 years and looks brand new still.

On a daily basis, I wear either a black or grey zip up wool jacket. I can't drive in a heavy jacket.

i also have some long mid-theigh length leather jackets as well, which I wear more to go out in. I believe I am sporting this as well in Neil's stalking pics.

I am not saying they are trendy....just, I have never seen that brand

Dude, serious? That brand has been around forever.
They rule every sporting goods store.
Then again, I doubt oyu have even been in a sporting goods store, since last I checked, eating donuts is not technically a sport.

I've heard other people bitch about people that wear North Face its not just this thread, its almost like a Cubs / Sox fan thing lol.

Jason hit Lands End's web site, my last jacket from them was super light and thin, waist cut perfect for driving, I think the current version of that jacket the sport squal $50 the temp rating is 10 to -10. They really shine in blocking the wind, something my Columbia doesnt do well.

I instantly hate anyone I see in anything Northface.

I tend to agree, though I've been wearing NF for probably 20 years now. My old fleeces have died, but I still have a shell from way back. Back when people wore it for doing things outside, and not as a fashion statement. Friends daughter has 6-7 of the NF fleece jackets...different colors for her outfits... Insane.

I have a knee-length Lands End coat that's good down to about -15F. Pretty useless down here in NC, but it was the bomb during the few weeks in Baltimore when the temps were in the teens and twenties, the wind was howling, and the goddamned bus was an hour late. Or standing outside the Poe house til 4am in February the year before the toaster quit showing up.

If you have military connections, the wool peacoats are really warm, too. Mine's probably 25-30 years old and needs to have the lining replaced (I mooched it from my dad after he retired) and is otherwise in beautiful shape.

I paid $19.99 ($17.97 after club-member discount :saint: ) for a Chaps winter jacket by mail-order from Sportsmans Guide, since every jacket I own is leather and I wanted something for chilly -and- wet weather. The day after it arrived the weather here was suddenly JUST above freezing and rainy all day...jacket worked perfectly. Finally I have a jacket that I don't feel guilty getting wet. :)