Another Finnish awesomeness : Stam1na

Ha, another one hooked! :D What would you like to know about them? I'll try my best to dig up the info for you if it's something I already don't know :)

ah let's say.

whats the lyrics are generally about ?! and why this decision of finnish only ? is it motived by something ?

the guitars they used. i saw the singer with a ESP explorer like 7 string. and the lead guitarist used Ibanez. just the neck of the guitar he's holding here : http://www.stam1na.com/index2.php?p=kommentit&l=en

gives me GAS.

anything you about the production would be nice too.

thanks again Jarkko!!!

whats the lyrics are generally about ?! and why this decision of finnish only ? is it motived by something ?

Native language is always native language. You are much more skilled at expressing things with it. And the Finnish language is also very elegant, especially for lyrics of all sorts: poetic books, song lyrics, and so on. Much more than English is, since there are literally thousands of words in Finnish that mean many, even mundane, things that simply cannot be said in English without very long or clumsy sentences instead of a single word, if even at all!

Stam1na's lyrics generally deal with insane people's thoughts, self-depreciation, psychology, criminals, and things like that.

Here's a quick translation of "Lääke" that I did, with a few artistic liberties while keeping the idea.

"Stop stop stop stop!" shouts the voice, my head bursts
The eleventh hour at hand, at noon, amidst life
I stand on the zebra crossing with red lights shining
The knives in my soul up to the handle

"Freeze!" commands the spirit of struggle, hoping to see one deceased
The intent to kill, made me insane
I walked here by the shadows, now blinded by lights
A dropout I am, but I will not go unnoticed anymore

Tens of memories squeezed into a second
Joy and sadness burn-marked to my eyes
Should I finish the movie, or should I film some more?
The voices are getting louder, soon I will be but a memory

There must be a cure for this
I shouldn't follow your prohibitive signs, shouldn't give up
I will not surrender, but be set free

The last picture, the most beautiful one
I could stare at it for eternity
To cross the line, or try to hang on
The brakes squeal, a voice is yelling "Don't move, don't move"

I lift my head, a green light is ahead
There's a lot to tell, I wonder where to begin
Maybe from my choice: one more step, one step more

There must be a cure for this
I shouldn't follow your prohibitive signs, shouldn't give up
I will not surrender, but be set free
Evil shall receive its reward
Shall taste its own medicine

And here's the song/video:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll try to answer from what I can gather from their website and from personal lore (the guys are from a town close to my home town and the vocalist-guitarist is a good friend of my bandmate, so we've been following their career for quite a while now :))

ah let's say.

Like Torniojaws said, the lyrics are often about the human psyche, the faults of the society, politics and things that aren't right in general. Lots of introspection, too.

They actually used English at first, but changed to writing in Finnish somewhere during the change of the millenium, since there weren't many hard rock or metal bands that sung in Finnish at the moment, and in addition to feeling more natural it seemed like a good way to stand out from the other bands.

the guitars they used. i saw the singer with a ESP explorer like 7 string. and the lead guitarist used Ibanez. just the neck of the guitar he's holding here : http://www.stam1na.com/index2.php?p=kommentit&l=en

gives me GAS.

Yeah, Hyrde (the vocalist) has two ESP custom shop baritone axes. He has also played at least with a Washburn (more about that later on) and an LTD SC-607. Before he changed to using a 5150 (could be he's actually using two now), he had a Randall RH100 head with a Randall 4x12 cab that I bought and later sold at a gas station coffee table for 50 euros :) Pexi has several Ibanez's, the website lists a Custom RG7, Apex 1 and Universe UV777BK. He has a Dual Recto and a Stiletto Deuce through two Recto Standard 4x12 cabs. I think he's also had a JEM. They use the A-D-A-D-G-B-E tuning.

anything you about the production would be nice too.

thanks again Jarkko!!!

There are production diaries on the page in Finnish, but unfortunately the diary for the first album (which is my favourite of the three) isn't available anymore. If my memory serves me correctly, they used a Washburn guitar (Idol-series?) with SD pickups on the album, since a good friend of mine bought the guitar from Hyrde and still owns it. Not an expensive axe, but plays really nice and with EMG's changed in I really dig it. That's all I can tell about the first album :/

I didn't have the time to go through the other diaries right now, but IIRC the second album - Uudet Kymmenen Käskyä (The new ten commandments) - was done in Music Bros Studios in Imatra, tracked and mixed by Miitri Aaltonen (and I'm pretty sure the first one was, too). The newest album - Raja (The border) - was done at Purple Fly Studio (which I think has already gone down) in Lemi, tracked and produced by Janne Joutsenniemi, though I think Aaltonen did the mixing on that one, too.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, couldn't check all the facts atm! :)

Oh yea I remember these from that thread. They didn't stick due to me not being able to understand the lyrics... kinda feels they've reserved themselves for the finnish audience. But since I "just looooooove" *with a queer voice* Devin Townsend and SYL, I also happen to like big parts of Stam1nas music. Some parts are really Devin... :p

At last I got the Raja- album and I dig it! Especially after bottle of jaloviina or rum :kickass: I really disliked the guitar sound in UKK- album but on this new album all is ok. Those vocal harmonies relly remind od Devin, but that's ok.

OT: Jhakwe - what (on earth) brings you to Joensuu :lol:

It's cold and windy as fuck and you can't get a decent kebab anywhere near 30km, so it reminded me of my old home town :D

But seriously, I started audio production study in Outokumpu in January, so me and the fiancé moved here :)

Ahh.. several of my friends have gone to that school. Apparently not a bad choice because you get to know the bar scene and the people behind the scenes in addition to the other things. Too bad that the legendary Kerubi- Bar isn't there anymore. The students from Outokumpu were there always back at the day :)

Ahh.. several of my friends have gone to that school. Apparently not a bad choice because you get to know the bar scene and the people behind the scenes in addition to the other things. Too bad that the legendary Kerubi- Bar isn't there anymore. The students from Outokumpu were there always back at the day :)

Yeah, it seems like a really valid school so far. Even though the start is somewhat slow, the audio physics and acoustics theory courses alone have been extremely helpful. The city itself is really nice, too, didnät take long to feel right at home here. The only downside is the rather poor summer job situation due to the large number of students here.

I've been to Kerubin Kuppila a couple of times, but Gloria's and Corner's after work hours have kept me pretty happy :) I've heard some rumours about the rock club side of Kerubi re-opening soon, which would be nothing short of excellent!

Yeah, it seems like a really valid school so far. Even though the start is somewhat slow, the audio physics and acoustics theory courses alone have been extremely helpful. The city itself is really nice, too, didnät take long to feel right at home here. The only downside is the rather poor summer job situation due to the large number of students here.

I've been to Kerubin Kuppila a couple of times, but Gloria's and Corner's after work hours have kept me pretty happy :) I've heard some rumours about the rock club side of Kerubi re-opening soon, which would be nothing short of excellent!

Glrorias and Corner is quite good me likey also. Yeah, there's a lot of university students around here. I bet it's extremely difficult to found a job.

Although there is a lot of good beer drinking bars around here, still I miss a real heavy metal place you could go every night.

Glrorias and Corner is quite good me likey also. Yeah, there's a lot of university students around here. I bet it's extremely difficult to found a job.

Although there is a lot of good beer drinking bars around here, still I miss a real heavy metal place you could go every night.

OT: I shoud note that I'm fucking drunk out of my ass :lol: