Visit site
This time from Bravewords.com

http://www.bravewords.com/hardwares/1001163

SAXON

The Inner Sanctum

(SPV)

Reviewed by : Mark Gromen
Rating : 8.0
Of all the old-timers still touring and releasing albums, in my book, Saxon are really one of a very small handful to care about each new record. For most, it’s just an excuse to trot out the old setlist, but these Brits have actually released some of their strongest platters in the recent past (Metalhead, Lionheart and now, add this ten song effort). Pretty mellow start, as ‘State Of Grace’ opens with Gregorian chant, before launching into mid-tempo Saxon territory. ‘Need For Speed’ and ‘Let Me Feel Your Power’ are appropriately titled racers, the former coming off as the more fine-tuned machine. ‘Red Star Falling’ is another slow-paced historical epic, dealing with the dissolution of the Soviet Union and the resulting freedom for millions of people. A chugging ‘I’ve Got To Rock (To Stay Alive)’ has a bit too much Americanized ‘80s sentiment for my taste (good guitar riffs here and throughout the album, very up front in the mix), while the single, ‘If I Were You’ is easily the most lackadaisical tune on Inner Sanctum. ‘Going Nowhere Fast’ and ‘Ashes To Ashes’ are decent if unspectacular tracks tucked away towards the end of the platter, before ending with a another strong time capsule piece, ‘Atila The Hun’ (sic), preceded by the short instrumental intro ‘Empire Rising’. Can’t wait for the Wacken headlining appearance (what is it, the fourth in about seven years?).

(found this on www.live4metal.com)I must admit, this album didn't quite do it for me on the first few listens. My observations were that it wasn't a patch on Lionheart (which I still don't think it is) and having spent the weekend trying to fathom out why, I surmised that it was down to the fact that the songs aren't memorable enough, nor do they leave much option for a good old fashioned Metal sing-a-long. There aren't any bona fide Saxon anthems to scream out until your throat is hoarse and your lungs are in desperate need of refilling.
Opener State of Grace is a pretty weak affair, although the Gregorian chanting at the beginning are a nice way to begin. The guitars are the weakest I've heard since Crusader,
yet despite my initial thoughts that the chorus isn't anything to get excited over, it's been whirling around in my head for a week. Thankfully, everything is cranked up to eleven for Need For Speed and Let Me Feel Your Power. Both tracks would be right at home on 1983's Power And The Glory, which is fine by me as I love this era of Saxon. Red Star Rising does take a while to get into. Saxon have gone for a big epic, lighters in the air affair and I'm sorry, this isn't their forte, although I have to say the song has grown on me immensely and I can see this going down well live when a change of pace is needed.
I Got To Rock (To Stay Alive) is as clichéd as the title suggests and quite honestly should have been left on the cutting room floor as it's pure filler. "Play it loud, Turn me on - Give it to me all night long" are straight out of the David Coverdale school of crap lyrics. Dire is an understatement. Saxon are so much better than this. Next up is the controversial single If I Was You, which I slated a few weeks ago. At the time I couldn't get into this as the single version was so bad. A few weeks on and my opinion has changed completely and I now think that the album version is probably the strongest song on The Inner Sanctum. So why didn't they release this version as a single in the first place? Harvey "bloody" Goldsmith has a lot to answer for. Hopefully I'll get to have my say as I'm included in the audience for the TV debate being recorded to accompany the Channel Four series Saxon are to be featured on in April.
Going Nowhere Fast is a fun, let your hair down, number to boogie along to in the tradition of old Saxon with a touch of AC/DC thrown in for good measure. Ashes To Ashes, is another of those that takes a while to get into. The chorus is immediately likeable, but the verses are pretty formulaic and clichéd. Atila The Hun is full of Eastern promise and I kid you not, sounds like Amorphis, that is until Biff wades in at full throttle. Again it's an epic number, but unlike Red Star Falling, this ones an instant hit and is a fine way to complete the album. That is, if it was the last number. Also included is the single version of If I Was You. Now this version is completely different from the version I received to review last month. Gone is the distortion and muddy production and I'm wondering if this has been redone (again) for the album, or if I received a badly pressed copy of the single. If I'd received this one, I'd not have been so vitriolic with my comments.
If I hadn't given this one more listen, my review would have been completely different. The Inner Sanctum isn't as instant as Lionheart, but it's growing on me rapidly and I'm now beginning to really enjoy it. www.saxon747.com
found this on
www.live4metal.com