Inner Sanctum review.

I agree Dogs.
It sounds very heavy. The fat bass production helps here a lot. Mr. Carter never sounded better IMHO. :)
Another thing that surprised me (in a good way) is Nigel's drumming. I expected it to be more "old school", if you know what I mean. But the drums are very heavy and a lot more modern in style than I ever expected... good, good.

I agree Dogs.
It sounds very heavy. The fat bass production helps here a lot. Mr. Carter never sounded better IMHO. :)
Another thing that surprised me (in a good way) is Nigel's drumming. I expected it to be more "old school", if you know what I mean. But the drums are very heavy and a lot more modern in style than I ever expected... good, good.

+1 The bass is just up there in the mix alot more than it has been before, which is prob why it sounds so good!

The drumming is pretty ace, that crazy shit he does at the end of need for speed is quite weird, yet works quite well. His double bass speed is awesome too, wish I could play that speed nice and steady, heh.

EDIT: actually, unleash the beast has up-front bass aswell (just listening now, heh).

First of like the cover.

The production on the album is A1, just as it was lionheart.

1, state of grace, love this track joint fav song for me on this album its up tempo and catchy love it 10/10

2, need for speed, no let up here a kick in the guts from this one, cool uptempo metal 10/10

3, let me feel your power, again no let up and another kick in the guts from saxon yeah 10/10

4, red star falling, winding down a bit now but this is a cool song great lyrics its a good song. 10/10

5, ive got to rock, this song just wanna make ya jump, love this track and prob my second fav of the album. 10/10

6, if i was you, The first time i heard this song on the sample i wasent to sure about it and deff had me douts, but after hearing the full version of the cd its an ok song i would have picked ive got to rock as the first single but there ya go. 8/10

7, going nowhere fast, This is the other fav song of the album for me with state of grace, like ive got to rock its got a great groove to it and another that just wanna makes ya jump to magic stuff 10/10 +

8, ashes to ashes, nice chuncky guitars in this song, cool lyrics just 8/10 for this one

9, empire rising great intro 10/10

10, Atila the Hun, mmm got to be honest here the only song of the album that i dont like. Its just not saxon for me and not a terribly good song dont no really what to give this song, ok 5/10.

Overall this is a fucking brill album from saxon great production and brill songs love it, could not have asked for better, saxon are just getting better and better Lionheart was a cracking album and i wasent sure if saxon could match that or even better it but i think thay deff have a massive 10/10 for the album overall. Thankyou saxon for a fantastic album, :headbang:

:headbang:
First of like the cover.

The production on the album is A1, just as it was lionheart.

1, state of grace, love this track joint fav song for me on this album its up tempo and catchy love it 10/10

2, need for speed, no let up here a kick in the guts from this one, cool uptempo metal 10/10

3, let me feel your power, again no let up and another kick in the guts from saxon yeah 10/10

4, red star falling, winding down a bit now but this is a cool song great lyrics its a good song. 10/10

5, ive got to rock, this song just wanna make ya jump, love this track and prob my second fav of the album. 10/10

6, if i was you, The first time i heard this song on the sample i wasent to sure about it and deff had me douts, but after hearing the full version of the cd its an ok song i would have picked ive got to rock as the first single but there ya go. 8/10

7, going nowhere fast, This is the other fav song of the album for me with state of grace, like ive got to rock its got a great groove to it and another that just wanna makes ya jump to magic stuff 10/10 +

8, ashes to ashes, nice chuncky guitars in this song, cool lyrics just 8/10 for this one

9, empire rising great intro 10/10

10, Atila the Hun, mmm got to be honest here the only song of the album that i dont like. Its just not saxon for me and not a terribly good song dont no really what to give this song, ok 5/10.

Overall this is a fucking brill album from saxon great production and brill songs love it, could not have asked for better, saxon are just getting better and better Lionheart was a cracking album and i wasent sure if saxon could match that or even better it but i think thay deff have a massive 10/10 for the album overall. Thankyou saxon for a fantastic album, :headbang:

Nice review and comments mate. :headbang:

Yeah that's a good point Kelly. The drums do sound really good, a bit more modern but still with the good old metal feel and style. Unlike the complete crap drum sound that metallica put out on St. Anger.

Is it just me or is the album just extremely heavy and fast 'in yer face' stuff?? I found it to be totally different to lionheart and past albums.

I think that the production on this album is something that we will all have to suffer. It smacks you round the face once, twice and there will be something in there to carry on smacking you round the face.

There is something from the old and something from the new, and a commercial track or two. But this album has a fresh sound, a great sound and there is nothing that lets this album down.

1.Going Nowhere Fast (10+) The song that I did already like since the first 30 seconds on the Saxon- messageboard. Very familiar the content of this song : Stau auf der Autobahn. Scheisse man! Car jam. Accept- flavour and the beginning I hear a sound that reminds me of Slayers ‘Anti-social song-elements. Already classic. Masterpiece. To me it’s like in the Strong-Arm of the Law times, in a modern coat. Nice solo Paul Quin. ( a solo that sticks in my memory)I like those riffs from Doug on the left boxes, which are recorded much clearer and louder then on the “To live by the sword” song fro Lionheart. It’s recorded in the way in which Judas Priest does record this “licks” too( Thx Valanx for telling me what these little riffs are called) . So more recorded to the front, so that it is noticed very clear..

1.I Have To Rock (To Stay Alive) (10+) Superb! I hear Play it Loud-song and the solo contains that particulair Eagle has landed part I like so much. Thank you Douglas Ray Scarrat for the fantastic guitar riff. It whistles good! In a car aor just in the kitchen doing the dishes.Again a solo to remember. And Nibbs thanks for that VET bassing. Nibbs is good on this whole album! Its placed more into the front. I hear Beasty-boys too somewhere

2. If I was You (8+) This should have been the single! Not that Goldsmith-thing. But ok I respect anybody else his choice. But that man has not my taste… In the last radiobroadcast with Biff I already noticed the difference in guitar riffs, it sounds so fresh and clear. Without that bad-mixing. Surprising that this song ranks so high, but I had that Goldsmith thing in my head that functioned like a blocade in the head..

2. State of Grace (8+) Fantastic song. Briliant intro. I like the Gregorian chant in it.. It reminds me of the movie “In the name of the Rose, with Sean Conery” Not the same time in history, but it just brings me back in that atmosphere (Fear!). Nigel Glockler drumming sounds fantastic.. On this song the double bass is functional..

2. Need for speed (8+) A combination of the Unleash the Beast flavour, Metalheadalbum (all guns blazing flavour), Lionheart album (Man and Machine) . Tempo-song ! Like the 2.49 min drumming from Nigel

2. Red Star Falling (8+) Fantastic ballad. Combination from Killings-ground s Court of the Krimson King and Metalheads Sea of Life. The solo’s fitts well into this song.

2. Ashes to Ashes (8+) Good chorus and a solo that sticks in the head.

3. Let me Feel your Power. (8) Metalhead-album (!) flavour for sure. Like the tempo and the riffs. Maybe some parts should have recorded a bit clearer from 3.00 min.. But ok in a Live-setting such things aren’t that hearable too. So I can understand.

4. Atilla the Hun (6,5) Why is this song my least favorite track? Two reasons: (1)The first Saxon song without a real explicit solo. (2)Second the double bass drumming sound to me a bit out of place.. I have nothing against the bass-drumming on the others songs (thats fantastic, good job!) but not on this song. And maybe a third reason (3) the song is too long it sinks in…Parts 3.15 min – 4 min 06 , 5 min 35 – 7in 10.. Is too much a filler to me..But ok artistic freedom! Better leave these filler-parts out and replace this with a solo like in Lionheart-song. Or : dont put it on an album..at all. BTW when Biff was on the radio broadcast, he played a rough version of this song ..but , help me..didnt that contain a clear solo?? But .. maybe ..I think it’s my wish that’s master of my memory this time..( Or not,?! Am I the only one here, that had this thoughts?)

Conclusion: Inner Sanctum is a fantastic album, with masterpiece songs. It’s a light consumeable album, with lyrics that stay in mind after the first hearing. It’s a spring album, where Lionheart was a winter album, so..an early spring this year! Good work Saxon! Keep up this quality! 8/10

And the DVD is fantastic too! :worship: Funny with that shoe-story..and I read that that person is on this board...:lol: ...Somebody shouted : Wake up! strange isnt it?!:saint:

OK, let's say my opinion for the album, after multiple listens.

The general impression is very, very positive. I 'm very happy that one of my favorite metal bands can release a great album 30 years after its debut. "The Inner Sanctum" is a very good album, with very nice songs, 100% heavy metal!

"Red Star Falling" is my favorite song of the CD, although after the first listens I found it a bit boring. But that's the reason why everyone have to dedicate some time to the album. I also like very much "State of Grace" with the magnificent intro and chorus and the hard rock-ish "I Have to Rock" and "If I Was You" (as someone stated, songs that AC/DC can't write anymore), songs that make you headbanging without end. And "Atila the Hun" is a real epic.

Don't forget the bonus DVD, it contains very interesting interviews and good performance from the band on the live songs. It's worth buying, without question.

Overall, I am very satisfied, with melody, heaviness and a lot of memorable moments. I don't know if it is better than "Lionheart" and I don't mind for that. :)

Agreed mate, I think it was said elsewhere that all the instrumental introductions are excellent (good work Nige) Empire rising blends so well in to Atilla the Hun.

P.S. Inner Sanctum is still in the Top 10 metal releases on Play.com