Inner Sanctum review.

Right.... I have posted this once tonight and lost it due to pissed up user error.

So, my review from 28/01/07 and changes to scores in brackets after original review.

State of Grace.

I really like this track, from the intro with gothic vocals to the driving drum rhythm that drives the song forwards. Biff's vocals seem to be overlaid throughout the entire track giving a vocal sound I've rarely heard with saxon. For once a guitar solo which really suits the track and tempo perfectly. Class. 9.5/10

(Almost the perfect 10 for me. Fuck it.... 10)

Need for Speed.

Wasn't sure on this one for the first few listens, but it is growing on me. Not sure about the drumming which comes in towards the end of the track though. 6.5/10

(7 It hasn't grown on me much).

Let Me See Your Power.

Another fast track, contains staple Saxon lyrics "Can you hear me screaming, screaming in the night". Very heavy guitar riff underpins the solo, and main guitar riff is growing on me with every listen. 7.5/10

(8)

Red Star Falling.

Slow guitar riff leads into a short acoustic break, before the vocals start. Slow but heavy guitar riffs lead into a cool chorus. Tempo is upped a little leading into a fine solo, before the pace is slowed back for another verse. A heavy atmospheric track along the lines of Sea of Life. 8.5/10

(8.5)

I've Got To Rock (to stay alive).

Very very nice opening riff, a sort of slow and sleazy AC/DC kind of track with the Saxon hallmarks stamped all over the place (A bit like Can't Stop Rocking mixed with Terminal Velocity). Great chorus - great solo - great track. I love this style of Saxon. 9.5/10

(9.75.... I want to give this a 10 as well, but if you compare it to State of Grace... You can't compare it. I have thought in the past that Saxon don't get it right when it comes to this sort of track with their timing, but this is bang on... bang on... bang on...)

If I was you.

Much less cluttered than the Single release. Stronger less complicated style, doesn't bounce along quite the same as the single. 8/10

(8)

Going Nowhere Fast.

Good traditional rock riffs, everything about this track reminds me of a speeded up version of hell freezes over. Thats no problems as I like that track. 8.5/10

(7.5 I prefer Hell freezes over)

Ashes to Ashes.

The last of the 4 traditional rock and roll/metal songs, except there is something a little different about this one. A real anthemic Rock and Roll chorus, with a raise your hands and clap bridge before the solo. Chorus to the end of the song. You'll either love it or at least get round to liking it! 9/10

(I'd go higher than a 9, but there is one thing that spoils this for me near the end which is the high pitched Biff scream towards the end, longer note over the chorus, not right for me).

Empire Rising.

Scene setter. Great lyrics ;-)

Atilla The Hun.

Fast paced track. Lyrically very good as you'd expect with a history inspired Saxon track, chorus reminds me of the Witchfinder General riff. Asian slant to the effects on the vocals, sung in way that reflects the melody of the east in parts. 8.5/10

(8.5 - Same)

Er, a question of great minds I think mate! My review and your review arn't anything like the same. The bits that are similar are just things that I was thinking anyway. So no, I didn't nick your review if that's what your getting at! I can actually think for myself.

I was only joking mate :loco:

Just watched the dvd that comes with the album, cracking stuff!

First thing I have to say is, release the Berlin gig in full, it's even better than I (don't!) remember it!

Interesting that Biff said that it was his idea to do the 'A night out with the boys' tour in a transit van, and charge 80's prices for tickets and t shirts. Hmmm I seem to remember the band travelling around in a coach and tickets and t shirts being anything but 80's prices! Maybe his idea, but it obviously didn't come into fruition! Well, not the prices part of it anyway!

It was nice that Biff mentioned the support he got from fans from the website following the fire. :headbang:

And the story about the bloke offering Biff a pair of boots that Biff had supposedly owned way back, that the bloke had won on ebay, had me in stitches!

A cracking dvd. If the 'To Hell And Back Again' dvd is like this, it is going to be brilliant!

Princess - there's an article about Diamond Head and the story behind Am I Evil. :kickass:

Thanks Bert, I'll definitely have to get a copy of Classic Rock tomorrow when I'm in town, should be very interesting read. And I'll need to get myself Saxon's new album asap., sounds superb by some of your reviews.

Paxoman said:
It was nice that Biff mentioned the support he got from fans from the website following the fire. :headbang:

agreed :worship:

Paxoman said:
And the story about the bloke offering Biff a pair of boots that Biff had supposedly owned way back, that the bloke had won on ebay, had me in stitches!

really very amusing story :lol:

but it´s only the sign that shows the way - it´s only the idea that counts !

unfortunately that weren´t biffs shoes that the guy bought from ebay. now we know that biff hates pointed-toe shoes like the white cowboy boots :lol:

Got to say, I like The Inner Sanctum a lot....

For me it's the best Saxon release since some records. :headbang:

Oh, and btw... long time no see forum folks. :)

I've played the new album for a few days now and...

It' s another bloody great album from the greatest metalband ever!!!
Here's one happy fan, that's for sure...
Long live Saxon!!! :)

Just watched the dvd that comes with the album, cracking stuff!

A cracking dvd. If the 'To Hell And Back Again' dvd is like this, it is going to be brilliant!

Have to agree mate the quality overall seems so much better than Chronicles (however you need to go some to beat the packaging on Chronicles). Can't wait to see the whole DVD.

:danceboy:

P.S. The Berlin venue looks great :headbang:

I'm not gonna bore you all with a mega-long review, lol. I'll try and keep it short:

Production wise, it sounds pretty good to my ears. Its nice and modern and similar sound to lionheart.

Is it just me or is the album just extremely heavy and fast 'in yer face' stuff?? I found it to be totally different to lionheart and past albums. On lionheart you had 1 or 2 fast songs and a lot of songs were mid-tempo and laid back. I'm not meaning this in a bad way at all - just trying to express how different it is to my ears (if you know what I mean). Anyways, I do think that Saxon have developed their sound even more with this CD (which is what I'm trying to point out, lol).

Anyway, I must say that 'state of grace' is my fave track so far. The intro is just amazing. :OMG:

Other faves are 'red star falling', 'ashes to ashes', 'atila the hun'.

the verse riff in 'atila...' is just awesome!!

Weakest song: If i was you (great song, but weakest on album imo)
Strongest song: state of grace (red star a close second).

overall rating: 8.5-9/10

:kickass:

EDIT: every album since dogs of war has been stellar!! imho (although i'd add forever free and solid ball of rock to that too, but others may think differently, heh).