Another interview with Warrel on Blabbermouth

Lorinc - correct korn members all played ozzy Osborne/ ratt/ overkill / rush in their early yrs...

They just went with 7strijg playing and took the lead.

Steve Vai is on the phone. he'd like a word with you.

613oqJgBrGL.jpg

I respectfully disagree with that, lorinc. You make it sound as if many bands wouldn't have even started making music if it wasn't for Korn 'reviving interest' in metal. That's a questionable statement for several reasons, but mostly because most of the people who liked Korn and all the other nu-metal shit never moved on from there and are still doing their spastic dances to their Killswitch Engage and Avenged Sevenfold .mp3s. And nu-metal really is an entirely different genre from 'real' metal, so I'm really not convinced that it helped actual metal in any way apart from an influx of posers.

I did not say many metal bands wouldn't have started making music, but rather that old metal band would have stopped to make it due to the lack of interest from the average listener.

Look, I'm 32 now, which means I was 14 in 96. Do you really think I was listening to Cannibal Corpse at the time (especially in Europe)? Of course not, I was into Marilyn Manson like any "rebel" teenage with suicidal tendencies (no pun). Most of the friends of mine that were into Korn around that time are now deeply into tech death. Like every teenager that likes music we were buying magazines, and that drew us to older kind of metal.

That's how I discovered Nevermore. Here's a pic of an old sampler from a french magazine I used to buy in high school (there are a few good songs on this one):
3466grr.jpg

I bought this because it seemed more evil and dark than Manson, and the first song really hooked me. I stayed with Nevermore since then, and I don't listen to Manson anymore, but I'm still grateful for having made me discover great other bands. Since then, I've been buying all Nevermore albums, all Blind Guardian albums, all In flames albums (well no, I stopped when they started the shitty Depeche Mode albums), and so on.

I'm not saying I would not have come to that face of metal if it wasn't for the early nu things, because I was already interested in heavy music (already had albums from Maiden and AC/DC, but that's to my mind closer to hard rock than to metal - yeah, even Maiden), but that definitely helped. And from what I see from my generation, I'm not alone. I know many people in their early 30s that listen to metal today because of nu-shit from their teen years. You want to try something more underground because of the aesthetics of it (remember how teens are superficial), and you find DNB or Nightfall in Middle-Earth, and that's a (positive) shock because that stuff is so much better you want to listen to that kind of quality music.

Not to disparage your personal opinion, lorinc, but what you provide is anecdotal evidence at best. Sure, you may have discovered NM through nu-metal, but that doesn't mean that's true for everyone, not by a long shot. Your personal experiences are just that. I'm 33, and when I was 15 I sure as Hell wasn't listening to Marilyn Manson or Korn or any of that crap.

And saying metal artists would have stopped making music due to lack of interest is, as we say in my language, very short through the curve. Even without mentioning that "would have" is always conjecture and therefore flawed by default, it's also true that metal has always been an underground genre, with musicians making music because it's in their hearts, not to sell albums. It' a cliché, but it's still true. Metal has never given a shit about how much recognition it got.

Yeah, it sure is anecdotal at best.

However, how many bands called it quits because the lack of recognition made it impossible to cover the cost of recording? I'm pretty sure you have a ton a examples that come to mind. It's not that metal band want to be famous, it's just that without fans, you just can't do the music financially. It was even more true 15 years ago.