another mesa OS cab question: slant/straight?

Mar 1, 2006
is there much of a difference between slant and straight Mesa oversized recto cabs? I know most seem to prefer the straight cabs for recording, but i'm having a hell of a time hunting one down.

i've used a straight OS cab before and absolutely loved it, was meant to buy it but my local shop fucked it up and sold it by mistake, got stuck with a slant stilletto cab which totally doesnt cut it for me. I've noticed that the top two speakers in the slant cab are pretty far off the grill, always mic'd the bottom ones as they sounded better to me (i prefer the sound of the mic about 1-2" off the grill tops)

on a side note, does anyone have an OS recto cab for sale that they'd be willing to ship to Singapore? :) I also have a mail forwarder with US addresses i could use as well...

Here's my feeling on it - they've only been making straight Recto cabs for like two years now (the old "bottom" cabs just had an overhang over a slanted baffle :Smug: ), which means almost all the Recto tones we know and love were probably recorded with a slant! Just mic one of the bottom speakers (and elevated it off the floor so you don't get nasty reflections) and you'll be set :) Singapore, huh? Better get one quick before they get banned as a bad influence or anti-establishment or something! :heh: