Mesa Std 4x12 cab. Slant or Straight? Which do you prefer?

Nah dude, check the thread I linked to above, where I switched the speakers around between top and bottom, and they sounded noticeably different (and the cab was elevated off the floor like so). And I never understand when people say they prefer to mic the top speakers even with a straight cab, where theoretically there should be no difference between top and bottom (unless of course the best sounding speaker happens to be in the top row). And by extension, I find it hard to believe the bottom speakers in a slant cab would be boomier sounding than any speaker in a straight cab, but that I don't have enough experience with to say for certain (seems unlikely to me though).

First of all thanks for that test you did, I didn't heard that.
In that test (if I understood it correctly) you can hear that the same speaker has more bottom end when it was miked at the bottom position.
Even if you used something to elevate the cabinet, the bottom speakers are still closer to the floor that is the closer surface, so those have more bottom.
To listen to the real differences of the speakers without the floor/wall interference the cabinet sholud be pointing up and not close to any wall.
I've listen to some tests between different speaker models done this way.

I'm not saying that the bottom speakers always sound best, but IMO, generally (not always) the interference from the floor although sounding fuller because of the added lows makes them lose their tightness, becoming for that reason, not my first choice.

'I'm using a straight one and am absolutely loving it...
the slant ones (got one in the rehearsalroom) sound almost identical to me, perhaps a bit less thick and not as dark, but the difference between the speakers in the same cab is definitely bigger than the difference between straight and slant

'I'm using a straight one and am absolutely loving it...
the slant ones (got one in the rehearsalroom) sound almost identical to me, perhaps a bit less thick and not as dark, but the difference between the speakers in the same cab is definitely bigger than the difference between straight and slant

Maybe being slightly less thick/dark is more of a positive for the slant cab though? considering the bass already coming from the cab's size itself...

DSC00464.jpg

This is the cab in question. I guess it's mostly straight, with a slight slant baffle for two speakers? Someone wants to trade me this Recto cab for my Mills cab, and they are including an M-audio fast track, which I'm taking only to sell on ebay to get an extra $50 or so.

Or I could sell my cab on ebay, ship it, probably get a little extra $$$ out of it and wait around to try to buy a used slant cab. I might do this, but shipping cabs isn't fun, obviously... haha

What do you guys say?

Well, nevermind. Already made the deal with the guy. haha. I'm trading the Mills cab for the above recto cab + slip cover for it + an m-audio fast track (basically $50 on ebay. haha.)

Making the trade Wednesday... psyched! :kickass: