Carvin Legacy slant 4X12

Bekanor

Renegade Folk Hero
Jun 11, 2009
N.S.W. Australia
I'm selling my Mesa cab (C90's) and looking to buy a V30's cab for my recto.

I have a good offer that I will take if it goes through ok and I'm pretty keen to try the Legacy 4X12 out (it'll cost me $1550).

Having said that, has anybody used this cab that they can give me a reliable rundown of how it sounds and what kind of build quality I'm looking at? Or am I better off just borrowing my buddy's Marshall 1960 cab until I save up enough for a slant recto cab($2050)? Keeping in mind that I've not enjoyed my experience with oversized cabs, I'm very poor, and I'm very big on instant gratification. :p

I know what you're going to say Marcus, and I'm still only new to these forums. :p

I am not a fan of the Legacy cabs at all. Didn't seem to handle low end as well as my recto cab. Honestly I would just wait and save.

if you already have a recto cab with c90's why dont you just get a set of v30's and replace them and just sell your speakers to someone

It's not a Recto cab though, it's a Stiletto cab (and even smaller than the normal ones, and 3/4 back, no thanks :ill: )

It's not a Recto cab though, it's a Stiletto cab (and even smaller than the normal ones, and 3/4 back, no thanks :ill: )

I don't even know if you'd call it a Stiletto cab man. It's SO much smaller than my Stiletto cab...I think it's some kind of limited run Mesa did.

The thing sounds great and there is no argument there, but it would be much better suited to lower gained tones I think. The presence is very weird and makes everything sound very flat and dull, and although the 3/4 back does add some open tones to the sound, Nic (Bekanor) plugged his amp into my Stiletto cab once and the difference was obvious.

I am not sure whether Nic means he wants to save for a Stiletto cab or a Recto cab, but either way I think it will be a safer bet than the Carvin, given the fact that the v30s in the Mesa cabs are actually voiced differently to regular v30s, and having experience with the Mesa v30s myself, I do like the sound of them a lot.

I don't mind letting him borrow the Stiletto until he can save for another cab because at the moment I'm using my 1960 for both my Recto and my 6505+ and it sounds amazing.

I might have just given away some tones for my 'shootout' threads in the 'rate my mix; section of this forum, for anyone willing to have a chomp. ;)

I quite like my Legacy 2x12 with V30s, but liked it most with one Celestion 75 and one Eminence V30 knockoff. I'm no fan of thunderous guitar low end, though, that's what those four string thingamabobs are for. And I used it most with an XSr™; tried it again the other day with a 5150 and it sounding scratchy and piercing.

I don't even know if you'd call it a Stiletto cab man. It's SO much smaller than my Stiletto cab...I think it's some kind of limited run Mesa did.

The thing sounds great and there is no argument there, but it would be much better suited to lower gained tones I think. The presence is very weird and makes everything sound very flat and dull, and although the 3/4 back does add some open tones to the sound, Nic (Bekanor) plugged his amp into my Stiletto cab once and the difference was obvious.

I am not sure whether Nic means he wants to save for a Stiletto cab or a Recto cab, but either way I think it will be a safer bet than the Carvin, given the fact that the v30s in the Mesa cabs are actually voiced differently to regular v30s, and having experience with the Mesa v30s myself, I do like the sound of them a lot.

I don't mind letting him borrow the Stiletto until he can save for another cab because at the moment I'm using my 1960 for both my Recto and my 6505+ and it sounds amazing.

I might have just given away some tones for my 'shootout' threads in the 'rate my mix; section of this forum, for anyone willing to have a chomp. ;)

You'll let me borrow your stiletto cab!

Well that settles it then. :oops:

And I definitely mean a recto cab.

My legacy is loaded with two 75's and two greenbacks.

I'd say they handle the low end as much as a marshall 1960 but then again we don't need all that low end low tunings provide.

The only concern would be the Recto cab having too much low end, because we play with 7 strings in Bb which provides a huge amount of low end to begin with, but having an OD as a boost often filters out a lot of the unwanted low end.

Yeah dude, between a Tube Screamer (not sure about the ZW, or specifically whether it has as much low-end cut as the TS-type pedals) and the bass knob on the amp, the bass will be well in control, and you'll marvel at the clarity and focus of the mids, rather than the stuffy, "through the nose" mids of the Stiletto :D

The zw-44 is like a modded sd-1 basically.

I am both intrigued and scared to hear the recto cab, because I'm interested in how good it will be, and if it's WAY better than the Stiletto I'll want one, and that's money I don't have. :lol:

I do really like my Stiletto cab though, and I'm someone who likes a lot of mids in my playing, like, a stupid amount compared to most people, so the voicing of the mids in the Stiletto is really good for me, but I don't know if I'll be able to resist the chunk of the recto cab.

I am both intrigued and scared to hear the recto cab, because I'm interested in how good it will be, and if it's WAY better than the Stiletto I'll want one, and that's money I don't have. :lol:

Be afraid...be very afraid :D I used to think I liked a lot of mids too, and I guess I still do, but it's still definitely possible to have too much, so I would say the Recto cab is just right, rather than "scooped"

This is my best scheme yet.

I have a new guitar coming my way this week and in about a month, a new recto cab. :oops:

There's nothing like a good scheme coming together. But I think after this I better not do any more for a while, this one is definitely stretching the cosmic rubber band of fate to breaking point. :saint:

I'm sure Nic will tell you the insane amount of mids I enjoy in my tone, though I don't have anywhere near as much what I used to that's for sure.