So, which 4x12" cab for recording?

Torniojaws

They call me Juha
May 15, 2005
Espoo, Finland
www.vortechmusic.com
I think I'll get myself a new recording cab next summer, so I'm starting The Research :lol:

Basically my prime choices at this point are:

- Mesa Boogie 4x12" Standard (aka oversized)
- Engl 412 XXL (V30's)
- Engl E412VG straight (I think this is what Studio Fredman uses? V30's too)

Then the questions of course: which do you recommend? How about the Mesa RoadKing 4x12"? How about some other 4x12" cab, anything else you can recommend instead?

Price-wise, the Engl cabs are about 300 euros cheaper than both of the Mesa cabs.

Spank-yee :zombie:

The road king cab is half open back so idk how good that would be for metal, It may be nice for cleans though.

the oversized mesa cab can make amps sound to boomy although alot of people like them with 5150's

the standard mesa cab is more punchy and less boomy, im realy not sure about the engl cab i would love to hear someones opinion on it though

Look out for the Randall XL. Almost same price than the basic Engl. But you might find it a little cheaper because it's not a best seller.
Anyway it sounds really good. It's the same type of construction than Engl and Mesas.

Something with v30's. We've recorded a lot of different styles from pop to metal with my Mesa cab and it works quite well always. The best I've tried have been Mesa or Orange. I've also read a lot of positive reviews about Bogner cabs. I think they have a cab which has 2 gt75s and 2 v30s.

Yea the uberschall cab is 12T75s and V30s

My fav cab so far has been the Diezel with the P50s... The VHT cabs also have P50s I believe, but I haven't played one of those yet

Okay, I'm ready to buy it, so last minute recommendations :) It's either the Engl XXL (1050 euros) or Mesa Standard (1150 euros). It could go either way, but then again I think the cabs are pretty much "the same". Both have bigger than usual dimensions, they have the same speakers and they weigh about the same. The big bummer is that neither is available straight. Both are only available in slanted shape :erk:

So it will be only for recording, 95 % for fast and quick palm muted metal with heavy demands on articulation and clarity, yet with some oomph in the chugs too. Most likely amps used will be the Powerball, 5150 and maybe Savage 120, so it should play well with those ;)

Actually, a couple of corrections there Tornio - the Mesa Standard weighs SIGNIFICANTLY less than the Engl XXL (104 lbs. vs 140 lbs., according to their websites), and is also available in a straight front (observe). Also, the speakers on the Mesa are rear-mounted, whereas on the Engl they're front-mounted, which apparently can make a big difference (I haven't played a front-mounted cab before, so I can't say from experience). After buying my Bogner 2x12 on all the great recommendations and having it disappoint me when mic'ed, I'm not about to recommend any cab purchases without trying them next to each other, so if you can, do so!

Also, how come you want a 4x12? Is your 2x12 not cutting it for recording? Cuz I started a thread about that very subject (whether ANY 2x12 can compete with a 4x12 when recorded), and I'd really appreciate your input!

The 2x12" is at the rehearsal space :) I can't be arsed to move it every time I go to rehearsals/home ;) It does weigh 36 kg :-q

Yes, I know the cabs exist in straight forms too, but those are not available around here :/ (not even at Thomann!). And I live in a very small town with no bigger ones within decent distance, so I cannot test them side-by-side.

Well regardless of which cab you choose, when you get it, I can't stress enough how much I would appreciate a report on how it compares with your Engl 2x12, both in the room and recorded, cuz this is a decision I've been struggling with! Keep up informed dude.

Fredman uses the E412VS (Vintage/Slant), as far as I can tell. Between your final 2 choices, I'd go with the Engl, but that's a matter of personal preference. I love the way Engl cabs are voiced, totally unique compared to pretty much every other V30 cab I've heard. The last Haunted album, The Dead Eye, was a Powerball through an Engl XXL cab (according to Tue Madsen in the studio vid of the sessions), so that should give you a pretty good idea of what you'd be getting yourself into. I don't have an XXL, but I do have a VS, and it sounds great with my 5150 and my new e530, which is voiced somewhat similar to the Savage 120, for what that's worth.

What's the difference between this "VS" thing I keep hearing about and the Engl PRO 4x12? Cuz that's what the 4x12 with V30s is called everywhere I've looked

What's the difference between this "VS" thing I keep hearing about and the Engl PRO 4x12? Cuz that's what the 4x12 with V30s is called everywhere I've looked

Same thing. The Engl 4x12 PRO Cabinet Slanted's model number is E412VS. The PRO Straight is E412VG. I just said Vintage before because of the "V" in the model number. :p It just denotes Vintage 30 speakers, I guess!

I think it's something like Vintage Standard (in contrast to XXL ? )
In my opinion eather the XXL as the Oversized Boogie Cab sound way to bassy, I tried both with my Krankenstein and an Engl Ritchie Blackmore Singature, had bass at about 9 o'clock and even that made it rumble.
I like the Line 6 V30 Cab way more (but there was no other V30 equipped box to compare it with)

In my opinion eather the XXL as the Oversized Boogie Cab sound way to bassy, I tried both with my Krankenstein and an Engl Ritchie Blackmore Singature, had bass at about 9 o'clock and even that made it rumble.

With my 2x12" Engl Vintage I have Low/Bass at 0 (zero) on my Powerball *AND* JCM900 SL-X :lol: It sounds perfect then.

Regarding the front mounted or rear mounted debacle, i read a while ago something about the differences of tone those two have. Apparently, on cabs with rear mounted speakers, it has more of a 'cab' tone, more 3D-ness and more body. Cabs with front mounted speakers give more speaker sound, more mid-range and a bit less body, in other words, tighter. Those descriptions might help you decide which one you want!