So, which 4x12" cab for recording?

I think it's something like Vintage Standard (in contrast to XXL ? )
In my opinion eather the XXL as the Oversized Boogie Cab sound way to bassy, I tried both with my Krankenstein and an Engl Ritchie Blackmore Singature, had bass at about 9 o'clock and even that made it rumble.
I like the Line 6 V30 Cab way more (but there was no other V30 equipped box to compare it with)

scar symmetry uses a combo of marshall and beringer (yep i was surprised) for that reason, because they find the marshalls "dark", so they blend with beringer. i would be interested to hear how the line 6cab would sound blended with the mesa cab...

Boomy or not, the Mesa oversized or Engl XXL sound much better in front of a Mic than a Marshall 4x12 with Vintage 30s. At least in my studio.

My Gear Slut of a buddy has gone through a shit load of heads and cabs in the last year.

Using his Krankenstein, 6505+ and Randall V2, I have heard him play through a Randall Cyclone Cab, Newer Randall XL Cabs, Krankenstein Cabs, Vader Cabs and a Mesa Recto Cab.

Hands down the best sound was the Mesa.

Metalworks, perhaps through your myriad cab demo'ing you had a chance to hear any of those cabs against a high-quality 2x12? Come on, somebody's gotta have some input on this!

One thing to consider to in comparing cab construction is the material...I believe some of Engl's cabs are MDF, which can explain the weight difference (someone posted the cab weighed 140 lbs.)

MDF isn't as lively as a nice Ply cab, which may mean something to you in terms of tone.

Only the Engl standard cabs are partially MDF, as I've recently learned; the XXL (the 140 lb. one) & PRO cabs are all birch plywood, just like Mesa/Bogner/Orange etc.

Having owned the traditional (regular size) and standard (oversized) Mesa 4x12 with V30's, and now owning a standard again, I have never had anything but great results with Mesa cabs. The oversized can be "boomy" if you don't dial the amp properly, I've noticed just turning the bass knob on the amp down a tad always fixes that. I've worked with the Orange 4x12's, love those, compares to the Mesa in a lot of ways, but has it's own voice. Marshall 4x12's work, but so far in my experience I've never been completely happy with results and it usually takes a little more work to get it "there" than most other cabs. Basically, big ass, heavy-duty construction cabs (Mesa, Orange, Bogner and Engl) have always given me the fullest and most desirable results. I use to own a Mesa 2x12 and a Marshall 2x12, both were good for really direct and tight guitar tones, but it is true that there is nothing quite like a 4x12. :) My personal preference would be to go for the birch construction cabs.

~006

i have a RK cab, the smaller mesa 4x12 and a marshall lead 1960a marshall with the 75w celestions.

the RK cab is my "goto" cab for both playing on and recording. the split back design really sounds great in a room as the open back 90w celestions are more "sound" with a bit less clarity and the v30s give you a lot of definition so it sounds abnormally huge. i mean people say the oversized mesas are boomy but i say just set the map right and it has so much headroom.

the marshall is good for certain things but it breaks up SO easy and it works in certain situations. the standard mesa cab (now called the stiletto cab) is probably the best overall cab if you ask me it's just a good sounding cab that is constructed well and sounds good no matter what you play all other cabs it seems have like specific purposes.

Boomy or not, the Mesa oversized or Engl XXL sound much better in front of a Mic than a Marshall 4x12 with Vintage 30s. At least in my studio.

I can back that up regarding the Mesa. Trying to track down an ENGL right now tho. FWIW, I don't find my Mesa very boomy at all! My Marshall had way more boom.... ...always a constant problem.

-0z-

that's the standard one, the vintage pro Engl cabs are completely out of plywood.

I'd look into Blackstar cabs too, should be cheaper then Engl, and with V30's.

Got a mesa traditional myself (secondhand) , sounds really good too.

I'll give this a bump - has anyone ever used a Bogner 4x12? Needless to say my 2x12 disappointed me, but I'm not ready to rule out the company entirely, though I'm also not ready to get one without trying it first, as a guy who wants to trade me his 4x12 for my 2x12 is hoping. I thought I had sold it, but the dude backed out cuz he wanted one with Greenbacks for his Suhr 18 watt (what a vagina :heh: )

it's ok, the bogner cab with V30's is a bit smoother and has more mids then and engl or a mesa..

Okay, I've been playing around for a while now and first impressions compared to my Engl 2x12" Vintage: The Mesa is slightly smoother with a bit more bass and weight to the tone. Otherwise they're quite similar. When recorded, the Mesa seems to have a bit more midrange and less treble when recorded from roughly the same location on a speaker with the same SM57. But the overall response to playing and so on are pretty much the same on both cabs.

Here's a quick first clip I recorded, Engl Powerball -> Mesa -> SM57 -> Fireface 400 -> Cubase

http://koti.mbnet.fi/juhau/mesa.mp3

Just a highpass and small notch at ~800 Hz. There's two different mic locations in the clip, the first one is a bit further away and more to the side of center, and the second one is almost touching the cloth near-center.

Here's two pics too:

mesa1.jpg

mesa2.jpg

I'm curious, how good would these ENGL(or other brand) cabs with v30's be for live use? You say recording, and I know v30's are good for that. But are they as good for live use?

Interesting placement on the cab while recording there Tornio :p And I dig the sound in your clip, though I gotta say, that ride is really annoying & distracting (both the sound of it and the volume) - what do you use for drums?