Mesa Std 4x12 cab. Slant or Straight? Which do you prefer?

nuclearass

Jan 2, 2006
Finland
www.dmthc.com
Hi,

I'm finally seriously thinking about buying a mesa std cab, but which one should I buy? Are there big differences. I'm asking this because I've recorded Marshall 1960 cabs a lot and the slant and straight definately sound quite different. I'm wondering if it's the same with mesa cabs.

I've tried recording the slant cab and liked it, but I'd like to know if the straight version is even better and it is the one most people here are using.

Hi,

I'm finally seriously thinking about buying a mesa std cab, but which one should I buy? Are there big differences. I'm asking this because I've recorded Marshall 1960 cabs a lot and the slant and straight definately sound quite different. I'm wondering if it's the same with mesa cabs.

I've tried recording the slant cab and liked it, but I'd like to know if the straight version is even better and it is the one most people here are using.

I have a slant and straight recto cab and to be honest they sound really similar. The only issue I've had is when I first brought the straight cab back, the back cover would vibrate when I palm muted my lowest open notes and it created a really loud "thwack, thwack, thwack" sound. To fix it I had to put a bit of padding between the back cover and the reinforcement part of the inner cab. Sound wise, mine are basically twins.

I'd imagine that the slant would be better in a live application as you'd be getting some direct speaker sound aimed at your head... hence you're less inclined to dial in a real shitty tone, since you can hear what the audience can.

There have been threads about this before, and as I recall, there's zero difference with a mic stuck in front of either

I tried the search before I posted, but couldn't find anything about this issue :-(. However, it's nice to hear that the slant is pretty much the same, because I'll use it live too, and I've always preferred slant cabs in live situations since we usually play in really small venues where I have to play near the cab.

Thanks for all the replys!!!!!

Dave from flatlineaudio.com wrote on this forum that there's a difference when micing straight and slant Mesa OS cabs. As I remember he wrote that straight is much more dark and thicker.
What's you experience, guys?
I'm going to buy Mesa OS cab for my 6505. And I can't decide which one to choose - slant or straight. As I've read Andy and James Murphy also record using straight cabs. I won't play live, it will be used for recording only.
So which one should be better for me in your opinion? Help me to make the decision :kickass::worship:

Andy uses a slant Rectifier cab actually, and I've heard TONS of amazing tones recorded with one, so while I revise my statement earlier in this thread to say that there is probably a difference, I'd go with the slant because of it still sounding good and being more convenient.

Really old thread bump, but I wanna hear more about this. Who all is using slants and who is using straights? I'm pretty sure Andy uses a slant cab. So does Jason Suecof. What about James Murphy? Lasse?

I'm switching over to a Mesa now and don't want to regret which one I get (slant vs straight)

I definitely noticed a difference when micing the top vs bottom speakers on my cab (not mesa), the bottom speakers have a lot more fullness. I've been wanting to get a straight cab because in my mind, they're gonna be thicker - i mean look at bass cabs, there's probably a reason they don't come slanted.

edit:
shit! i got duped into a necrothread?!!!

I definitely noticed a difference when micing the top vs bottom speakers on my cab (not mesa), the bottom speakers have a lot more fullness. I've been wanting to get a straight cab because in my mind, they're gonna be thicker - i mean look at bass cabs, there's probably a reason they don't come slanted.

edit:
shit! i got duped into a necrothread?!!!

Oh the irony :D But yeah, I have to revise my above statements and encourage a straight, mainly because you can test all 4 speakers to see which you like best without having to swap 'em around to the bottom slots (as I did for my test here)

Oh the irony :D But yeah, I have to revise my above statements and encourage a straight, mainly because you can test all 4 speakers to see which you like best without having to swap 'em around to the bottom slots (as I did for my test here)

But surely the slant cabs sound great if Sneap and Suecof are using them? As far as I know, neither of them even own a straight recto cab, do they?

Yes, I knew I was bumping an old thread. The reason was because, I saw guys saying "this has been talked about 39564894 times! search for it!" but when you do a search, only two threads pop up, this and another which only had one reply...

Yup, and I agree with you (see post 9 :D), I'm just saying for convenience's sake with speaker testing (because I much prefer the sound of the same speaker mounted in the bottom row of a slant, rather than the top) I'd rather have a straight

Yeah, I guess I'm more wondering if James Murphy, Lasse, etc. are all also using slants or not. Because if EVERYONE is using slants, it seems that would be the way to go... as it must be something more than just coincidence, yeah?

I have an offer for a straight recto cab (well, it's called straight, but it's the one that has the top two speakers slightly angled), and it's a decent offer, although I could probably do better if i was willing to ship my cab...)

I'm just a little hesitant. I don't want to get the straight and then regret it wishing I had waited for a slant, you know?

I hear ya, but the only reason I could think one would prefer a slant over a straight is for live playing, having that directness for the sake of monitoring. And Lasse has a straight btw (Greg and Guitarhack too), and I figure most studio guys with slants have them simply because straights weren't available until a couple of years ago (the bottom cabs used to be the one's with the overhangs, like the one you've been offered). If it's a seriously killer deal on that cab (like under $500) I'd go for it, but otherwise I personally would hold out a bit longer to see if a used straight pops up in your area!

Honestly, if you can't get a solid tone out of the cabinet, it's not the slant vs straight bits fault.

I'd go for it if it's not too terrible an offer. Worst case scenario is that the best sounding speaker in the cabinet is on the top left and you have to move it to the bottom or something to take advantage of the non-angled bit.

I definitely noticed a difference when micing the top vs bottom speakers on my cab (not mesa), the bottom speakers have a lot more fullness.

This has more to do with the fact that the bottom speakers are closer to a reflective surface (floor), the mic captures an increase in the low frequencies because of that reflection.
Bottom speakers are fuller but are most of the times boomier.
Although all speakers are different I tend to choose the top ones because of the more controlled low end.

This has more to do with the fact that the bottom speakers are closer to a reflective surface (floor), the mic captures an increase in the low frequencies because of that reflection.
Bottom speakers are fuller but are most of the times boomier.
Although all speakers are different I tend to choose the top ones because of the more controlled low end.

Nah dude, check the thread I linked to above, where I switched the speakers around between top and bottom, and they sounded noticeably different (and the cab was elevated off the floor like so). And I never understand when people say they prefer to mic the top speakers even with a straight cab, where theoretically there should be no difference between top and bottom (unless of course the best sounding speaker happens to be in the top row). And by extension, I find it hard to believe the bottom speakers in a slant cab would be boomier sounding than any speaker in a straight cab, but that I don't have enough experience with to say for certain (seems unlikely to me though).