Another message to Anders....

YgroWok

Damien's Cry
Dec 9, 2001
Morrison, IL
www.geocities.com
I was just curious how Katatonia writes their songs. Does one person write all the parts and then teach the other members or do you all work together and write songs at the same time? And does Jonas write the lyrics after the song is written and while listening to the song to see what would fit or does he write them before the song and make them fit for the recording?

Thx a lot in advance for some advice from one of the greatest bands ever!!!

Alex
ygro_wok@hotmail.com
www.geocities.com/thegreatbanddamien/thegreatbanddamien.html

if i recall correctly, lyric writing for jonas is a 24-7
type thing. he writes things down constantly, uses
some of it, discards other parts.

he doesnt sit down a couple days before recording
and write whatever. these are very personal
thoughts that have a deeper instrinsic meaning.

i've to say there is no 100% formula in every moment, it depends. but if i'm doing a song,
i write it at my homestudio complete with recorded guitars, drums, bass and vocal lines (made up of random words).
jonas then adds his lyrics (from the pile of 24/7 material) and incorporate them according to the concept.
the song is now ready to be rehearsed.
from the process of rehearsals-recording-mix the material have likely been altered as well.

Thanks - It's really nice that you come here and talk with us Anders! Not many bands do that!

I'd be cool to see some more members of katatonia doing the same - to get different...what's the word.....ehhmmm it's the word that sums up this line "get new ways of looking at the band"! Hehe :D ...i hope you know what i mean!

I'm really bad at remembering words sometimes! :)