another pups discussion

bill-n-becky lawrence L500L. most transparent but at the same time loud and punchy passive p/up I've ever used. no mud. since you're probably looking for something more aggresive, I'd say the XL version. Seymour's Dimebucker or whatever it's called is probably very similar to the XL, or even a step higher in output, but don't quote me on that.

well for emg comparison, the whole reason i picked up the duncan distortion is that it has very similar properties regarding tone as the emg 81. Its just not as hot, id go with these guys, the fullshred, duncan custom, or my preferred choice, duncan distortion.

as the emgs dont have pole pieces, just the ceramic magnet (in the 81) and alnico magnet (in the 85), they have less individual string pick attack to them, well thats how they feel when playing, however you get guys like zakk wylde shredding and notes sounding clear. ive found them to compress the signal somewhat.

Actually emgs are blade style like lawrence pups but they're covered which makes for a more even attack string to string but not necessarily less. Compression is due the fact that they're active.

by a different company you mean emg? damn......and how do the emgs sound compared to the fullshred (are they tighter in the bass area and how about the attack)? and what are the "best" emgs?

Emg isn't the only other company. You also have dimarzio, Bill Lawrence(though that could take a good month to recieve), Bareknuckle(expensive in U.S.), lundgren(also expensive) and other smaller names. I was mostly referring to Dimarzio though. The fullshred isn't very similar to emgs- it's kind of a different beast. It's got a lot of high end which makes it crunch like crazy and not as much lows as a custom which makes it tight. The nasally/vocal type voicing makes it clear so in a low tuning it works wonderfully. I can almost guarantee it will work for you. Now, on the other hand- if you want something similar to emgs but with a more organic tone going on, lots of guys like the new duncan blackouts- so you should consider those. You either like the sterility of emgs or ya don't I suppose.
Let us know what you decide and how it works out.

totally forgot about them bareknucles pups, ive only played on a guitar with wm in once, thing it was the warpig or holydiver model but cant be too sure, really really nice, a bit pricey over here in the uk too, 100 for the warpig but theyve deffo got a good tone to em. and from other sound clips they do sound well nice

I owned a L500XL Bill Lawrence (Bill and Becky variety) and hated it more than the JB or Distortion. Sounds scooped to my ears with a irritating high end.

really? I always found the lawrence just takes the guitar it's in and amplifies it, without coloring like you're saying, but yeah, that sounds irritating. I like high end, so maybe I don't notice if it's way up there.

really? I always found the lawrence just takes the guitar it's in and amplifies it, without coloring like you're saying, but yeah, that sounds irritating. I like high end, so maybe I don't notice if it's way up there.

well im guessing the dimebucker, a similar varient of the 500 is based tonally on it, and i personally dont like my dimebucker, well compared to my duncan distortion, it really has uncontrolable high end, and i really have to overcompensate on me amp for it, its dead high output, but lacks character i think.

Nah, Dimebucker sounds nothing like a lawrence- loads fizzier cuz the treble response is ridiculous. For some reason it had a really cool clean sound though.

If you are playing in such low tunings, why not use the pickup Meshuggah uses? They use the Lundgren pickup, I forget what its called, I think its just the "M" pickup (there's an M6 for normal guitars, an M7 for 7 strings, and Meshuggah uses the M8's...its something like that)...they use ceramic magnets, which have less attack than alnico, but they have more punch and just have great lowend for low tunings...the Seymour Duncan JB uses an Alnico magnet, and I know Mike Amott uses those, but I find that ceramic pickups work MUCH better (other examples of ceramic pickups that are good for metal: Seymour Duncan Distortion, Seymour Duncan Invader, EMG 81, Seymour Duncan Blackout Bridge Pickup...tons of other options)

I was going to suggest a duncan blackout, like it for low stuff, absolutely tight & clean, but maybe a bit too much like an emg, doesn't have that metallic sound of a emg i think, maybe a bit hard to tell since I haven't compared them in the same guitar, but those are very cool pickups.

passives : invader is pretty cool, lot's of bottom end woof, maybe too much in that tuning, but the low end is tight.

full shred is pretty tight & clear too, like it alot.

JB is like others here said on the flubby side, still not bad.

Didn't like the custom when I tried it, thought it sounded a bit weak.

yeah, when i said i hate emgs was because of that sterility. my comrade plays a kirk hammett signature (ltd) with (i think) emg81s. it sounds ok but, i just dont like it. its somewhat fizz and boom even if there are almost "no" highs and bass in the eq section and a more organic sound would be really cool. it remembers me somewhat of distortion pedals, i dont know man......

about meshuggah, i dont know this band so good except the oddmeters:) but i think the most wellknown bands cusomize their amps so...it may sound really good on their system...i have to read some articles and user opinions.

i have to wait and compare the blackout and the fullshred on a better sound system then i could say more.....

the jb is a warmer pup to the distortion due to the alnico magnet. most rock bands use the jb, tend to use it in the bridge, dave mustaine used to use it in the bridge, and countless other artists. I got the distortion as it has the ceramic pickup which i prefer. The duncan distortion also adds more mids. Its a slightly less 'hot' version of say an emg 81, without the piercing high end

http://www.seymourduncan.com/comparetones/pickups/34

thats comparing 3 pickups i own in different guitars, the dimebucker is in my razorback, and that really has the high end kicked up, i really prefer the duncan distortion to that, and between the duncan distortion and jb, summat like that youd want to try yourself, depends on your playing, the style of music your'e playing and tone you want.

If that link works and you see the three pups, then there are sound samples of the jb and distortion in the bridge position.

you can still get the distortion sounding warm though, http://myspace.com/seventhhell (the southern sludge demo) the fizz that ppl have been saying about that mix is due to my actual amp tone and the shit quality myspace does to decent songs!!, not the pup

Wow..thats great info:headbang:

Let me add that Pickups are to the Amp we're using --as a Mic is to a singers voice

So they have to be spoken of in that context. We cant separate the 2 if we are getting specific with our tone. A pickup that suits a certain tone would be different for a 5150 than a Rectifier.

Of course you could get a PUP that works with both..but its not going to be specific if your looking for your perfect tone.

You have to consider the voicing of the amp and its cabinet. A pickup that may be perfect for a Mark IV may have a scooped mid and boosted highs. But for a 5150 you dont want to boost those highs unless you want an earache

So keep in mind the whole signal chain when you choose. I wish they would post plot graphs online they way they do with Mic's. Because the clips are only using one amp ...and the bass, mid, and treble info is just beyond basic. Including graphs and mulitple amp clips would help a lot.

Posting clips hadn't occured to me- good call metal jonesy. Here are some podxt clips of various duncans. I usually do clips like this shortly after installing them and I will warn ya they're very rough and completely unprocessed, the latter being part of the point since I was trying to compare the pickups to each other- all standard tuning sorry. quickclip is a fullshred into a bigbottom patch, quickclip8 is the same patch and same riff but with an alnico 8 magnet installed in the FS, patb1 is a parrallel axis trembucker which I couldn't vibe with at all, and jazz bridge is self explanatory- though the lead tone I used on that clip sucked bad, it's actually great for metal leads. That's four separate duncans you can get a vibe from if you count jonesy's clip.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=426057

sry had no acces to the web this week so could not answer.

WHOA! fucking good sound man! have both of you recorded these clips at home? both of you could give me one or another hint for recording and ae:p. i think the fullshred (alnico 5) is my favourite. sounds pretty much like i dont know but i like it!:headbang::headbang::headbang: also i have to admit that the distortion pu sounds pretty good.

just fuckin three weeks (and some days) to go......no money left for spending for some shit! cant wait allready.