Another question for Ron....

sAlex

New Metal Member
Nov 13, 2004
Hello!!

Ron I'm just wondering which program do you mostly use when you make music, I've read in many interviews that you first make music on computer, so I would really like to know which program.

Thanx!!! :worship:

And since we first ask you one, why not 2? :p By the way I'm new to the forums, good to be with so many music interested people! Read lots off meanings, and heard a lot off stuff here and about! I wonder for how long spastic Ink has been a band, and how much time do you put into making the music? The music is just so genius and abstract! I really admire what you are doing, the sound is so unique, all from the piano in the intro on multimasking, to the CRAZY, uncomprehendable solos on the base, guitar and drums! Now do you all have a section in each song that you have contributed with? Or is it one or maybe two off you who makes the music mostly? Sorry for the rambling, just so much I wanna say about the music, so much I feel I even can't express, it's the most beautifull music I've ever heard!! Love u guys! :worship:

what home-computer recording stuff do people suggest on here?
at least as a basic set up of getting decent individual drum sounds as the meat and potatoes... then adding tracks from there...
just curious.
what mackie mixer are you rocking Ron (unless someone else knows the answer by past info for from pictures).

thats awesome work on the 2 records from a DIY recording.

As long as you have a decent computer and Win2K or WinXP (which you should be using in any case), Cakewalk SONAR 4 (Producer Edition). I like it more than Cubase SX2, and I've heard SX3 is very slow. It has pretty much all features of Cubase SX3.

No VST support, but the included VST adapter does the job.

Yeah, I pretty much answered that question in another thread, but to elaborate a bit, I've been using Encore for 10 years or so. I've upgraded it about 4 times, and am up to 4.5. There are so many cool music notation programs out there, that I wouldn't even know where to suggest starting. I just know that Encore works great for me (although who knows what I'm missing!). I had a copy of Finale a while back, and tried learning it, but stopped after a few days because everything that I was trying to do, I already knew in Encore. With Finale, you can do some cool stuff that Encore can't, like dividing up 4 part (SATB) harmonies from a vocal score, but I never run into that. At the stores where I teach, they suggest Sibelius, but I've never used it. I would however be able to suggest a place to look for music software and hardware...

It's http://www.computersandmusic.com

Ron

P.S. The Mackie mixer that I use for recording is a CR1604. It's the perfect match for an ADAT.

I'd also like to recommend www.studio-central.com amazing site.

I use cubasis vst (when I get a new computer one day I'll upgrade to cubase se or something, but at the moment, I have to use stuff that will use up as few computer resources as possible) I've been messing around with it for about 3 years now, so I'm just used to the way it works. There is no 'right' or 'wrong' program, they all have pros and cons, and you will personally find some stuff easier to use than others. You can use any of the major programs and get perfectly acceptable results.

For drums, I program them with a midi keyboard and use Battery 2 with Drumkit from Hell multiformat. Although that was quite an expensive combination, I really like the sounds that are coming out of it, I doubt I'll be able to get a better drum sound without recording drums properly (and I sooooo don't have the time/money for that)

Then, due to the constraints of my very noisy house, direct record guitars/bass from a POD, through a mixer just to make life easier when switching sound sources and to power my condenser mic.

I'm really happy with my setup at the moment for just laying down some stuff at home. I'd really like to get a new computer at some point, but that will have to wait for a few years.