A couple of things for Ron

Nebbiez

Tech/Prog Metal Maniac
Sep 25, 2005
London, UK
Hey Ron!

Firstly, I was wondering who you would compare your style of guitar playing with? After a lot of digging around my pile of prog/tech music, I would say the closest guitarist I could find to you is Allan Holdsworth. Some of Planet X's stuff with Tony Macalpine sounds quite similar to you too. Of course I'm not saying you've ripped either of these guys off, because I firmly believe you have your own style that I can instantly recognise (for example, I didn't even know you were on the Gordian Knot album until I recognised one of your solos).

Also, as for the drummer you're looking for, have you tried checking out Sean Reinert (I know you played with him for Gordian Knot, but he's also an excellent death metal drummer - check out Death's 'Human' album if you haven't already) or Virgil Donati? Having listened to your demo video clips of Machines Of Dementia, I think either of their styles would fit in with the music.

Oh one last thing. Just wondering if anyone here has heard Joboj (Joe Bochar)? I ordered his albums off Guitar9 recently, and I'm most impressed by his stuff. I'm convinced that if guitarists like Ron and Joe were more famous, no one would be listening to Steve Vai or Joe Satriani. I mean, don't get me wrong, they're both incredibly talented guitarists. But it's nice to hear guitarists do something a bit MORE with their music than endless solos over the rest of the band! Also, have you heard Dragonforce, Ron? If so, what do you think of them?

I know that Jarzombek likes a lot of guitar players or was actually influenced by a lot of them, but I wouldn't say that he sounds like someone else. Actually this pretty much takes off his qualities as I find his style unique. However, I agree that your comparision to Allan since both like to come up with non standard harmonies ( they literally write music based on their own scales ) and master the leggato. I disagree about Steve Vai since the guy also plays incredible scales and does not just do up and down scale playing.

I can answer the drummer question for Ron.

Virgil Donati = too expensive
Sean Reinert = he tried to get Reinert for Ink Compatible, but it just never worked out. Reinert has lost all interest in playing metal, as well, as he has stated in several interviews.

I know because I've talked to him about Reinert before when I recommended Jeff Eber and he mentioned Donati in an interview and that he wanted too much money.

I'll get to the other questions later, but Sean Reinert was never a possibility for Machinations, and I doubt he'd be considered for anything else that I put together. The dude totally bailed on me years ago when I was first putting Compatible together, and caused about a 6 month delay in getting things started. This was quite a while ago, but I believe fees were worked out, a studio was setup, engineer, other players were lined up, then he bails about a week before the scheduled recording date. But everything eventually worked out. Bobby got back from touring with Riot, and ended up playing on the tunes that Reinert was going to do. Ca-freaking-ching!!!

As far as Virgil goes, yeah, he wanted a bit too much, but it was nothing unreasonable. I'd have no problem now coughing up what he wanted back then to record a full album. Although, I wouldn't doubt that he's gone up a few dollars since then.

But we're done with looking for a drummer. We should know for sure by the end of January.

Ron

ronjarz said:
As far as Virgil goes, yeah, he wanted a bit too much, but it was nothing unreasonable. I'd have no problem now coughing up what he wanted back then to record a full album. Although, I wouldn't doubt that he's gone up a few dollars since then.

That kinda sucks :( I always thought that guest musicians got a small portion of cash from album sales, but I guess they need money up front sometimes. How about some commeradery (sp?) in metal eh?

ronjarz said:
The dude totally bailed on me ...... Bobby got back from touring with Riot, and ended up playing on the tunes that Reinert was going to do. Ca-freaking-ching!!!

Sorry to hear about that, but man.. Sean was going to play on Ink Compatible? Too bad that never came around.. I love his work :/

edit: even though you're done looking for a drummer, has anybody ever recommended Charlie Zeleny to you? His stuff with Behold... the Arctopus is just.. wow. What do you think of him?

Noble Viking said:
That kinda sucks :( I always thought that guest musicians got a small portion of cash from album sales, but I guess they need money up front sometimes. How about some commeradery (sp?) in metal eh?

Um, Donati isn't really a metal drummer; he's more of a prog drummer. Or has he played some metal albums that I don't know about? Still, isn't he from Australia? It'd probably be difficult just to coordinate it all without him just playing in a 'session drummer' capacity.

Virgil seriously can play anything. He is considered one of the best drummers (technically) ever. He's played with Planet X offcourse, very technical, he's written his own album On The Virg, and he's played with Steve Vai. More prog than metal, but he's more than capable of playing anything he wants really.

Yeah, the first guys that I had lined up for the Compatible recordings were Steve DiGiorgio and Sean Malone on bass, and Sean Reinert on drums. Bobby and Pete weren’t available and I wanted to get moving with the recordings. But when Reinert bailed, that threw a huge wrench into the whole mix. As a result of that, 6 months passed. I didn't find a drummer until Bobby got back, and by that time, Digiorgio's schedule was booked up. Steve and I tried to work things out later, but it didn’t happen. Malone and I didn't really click after all, and so he just recorded one song. I remember sending load of emails to drummers and sheet music being passed out left and right, and nobody came through. In the end though, the line up that I wanted (for several songs, anyway) eventually happened.

About the Behold... The Arctopus drummer, I'm sure the guy is phenomenal. I’ve heard a few of their tunes, and they are absolute lunatics. I saw their bass player with Dysrhythmia several month ago in Austin, and the dude killed beyond belief. Actually, the whole band was freaking nuts! Just totally knocked my socks off.

About my “style” (whether you are referring to my creativity, playing or writing), I don’t think I sound like anybody else, although some people have come up with Mattias IA Eklundh and Ron Thal comparisons, but those 2 guys are untouchable as far as I’m concerned.

And Steve Vai has contributed tons to the guitar world. His playing, writing, and imagination have without a doubt influenced and inspired me.

Ron

ronjarz said:
About my “style” (whether you are referring to my creativity, playing or writing), I don’t think I sound like anybody else, although some people have come up with Mattias IA Eklundh and Ron Thal comparisons, but those 2 guys are untouchable as far as I’m concerned.

Yeah I agree about Bumblefoot, but as my dad (who is a big Zappa fan) said, "He just sounds like Zappa but with a lot less going on at once." Personally, I love his style and much appreciate his music. It's just I prefer your style because it is the definition of progressive. You have your own style and don't really sound like anyone else. For me, you are the physical manifestation of progressive music.

ronjarz said:
And Steve Vai has contributed tons to the guitar world. His playing, writing, and imagination have without a doubt influenced and inspired me.

I know it sounded as if maybe I was laying into Steve and Joe, but I do like their music. Steve Vai's contribution to the guitar world is undeniable and I know many of my favourite guitarists (yourself, Vinnie Moore, John Petrucci, Alexi Laiho, Herman Li, etc.) were all inspired by him. I think maybe it's because I've been getting into so many prog guitarists, when I put on Vai or Satch it just isn't dynamic enough for me. Still I guess not everyone can make songs like 'Read Me' :tickled: