another question from the new guy.......

slingblade

I AM HE.......
Jan 19, 2002
massachussetts usa
Visit site
ok, we've established the fact i'm a newbie and i'm looking into buying some opeth. so far, all i've heard are samples and i'm sold already on these guys. i'll be ordering SOMETHING off the net today, because i'm an impatient fuck and i'm not gonna wait for someone to special order it and give me the fuckin reacharound when it takes 2 weeks for them to get it. so, i actually have 2 questions here. the first being, (i'm assuming most of you already have all or most of their releases) which would you recommend a new fan to purchase first? (my thoughts right now are to get blackwater park and work my way down the list) i will wait and see some replys before i order anything. and secondly, you guys have recommended some sites to buy it from but which would be the most expediant? i noticed amazon.com had the us release or an import for $2.00 more of blackwater park. ok, i lied this is the third question, is there a difference between the two? your replys again are greatly appreciated................:)

I would personally recommend getting MAYH. It has the most anger and aggression of all the Opeth releases, has a ton of twisted riffing, and most importantly, some of their most memorable and dark melodies ever. I find it to be the album that best encompasses what Opeth is all about.

Orchid=The debut, progressive interesting metal.

Morningrise=This showcases Opeth's single-note harmonies in a very prog-like setting.

My Arms Your Hearse=This is Opeth straying into melodic, twisted death metal, with more power chord work than previous albums. And has a very dark production as well...

Still Life=This is their straying into more musically diverse territory, switching from metal, to jazzy, to classical, using everything from single note riffs to full chords. It encompasses a lot, and is quite a journey of an album. Many layers of guitars and harmonies. Musically it may have more to offer than MAYH, but Still life just doesn't match My Arms... as far as kick-ass songwriting goes...

Blackwater Park= This to me seems to be Opeth's more accessible, simplified metal release. It seems more straightforward, and the riffs have a different flavor than any other albums. However, some seem to really like this new sound a lot, so I can't say it isn't good. It all depends on what you are looking for in an Opeth album.

As for your Blackwater Park question... There is no difference.
I think that Till Fjalls gave a good description for you to make your choice. :cool:

My favorite opeth albums in order(I know this will piss off alot of people, but it's my opinion and I've been a fan for about four years, so I haven't just stumbled across them in the last six months.Not that it's bad to have done so but I have listed them as a fave since my first album which was MAYH) #1)Blackwater Park #2)Still Life #3)My Arms Your Hearse #4)Orchid #5)Morningrise. You cannot go wrong with this band. I rate everything on my own PERSONAL scale but ALL of their albums are great so it doesn't really matter where you start as long as you own all five! This is just my opionion here!

ok guys, thanks for your replys and your input. this is what i decided to do. i went to amazon.com and purchased the following:
blackwater park
still life
my arms your hearse
i decided to dive right the fuck in head first! thanks again for the info and suggestions.