Another RIGGS reunion!

James

Feb 27, 2002
Atlanta
www.torquestra.com
RIGGSLPCover.jpg

Saturday, November 28th at The Loft

Tickets on sale now at Ticket Alternative!

http://www.myspace.com/riggsrock

Wow! Now these guys definitely take me back! :) And if I recall correctly, one of the guys in Riggs (I'm not really sure who, so please don't ask? :lol: ) used to work @ the TURTLE'S record store in chamblee plaza back around 84-85?! Great band from WAY back in the day! Now, where's MR. Peabody & his WAY BACK machine?! :)

Wow! Now these guys definitely take me back! :) And if I recall correctly, one of the guys in Riggs (I'm not really sure who, so please don't ask? :lol: ) used to work @ the TURTLE'S record store in chamblee plaza back around 84-85?! Great band from WAY back in the day! Now, where's MR. Peabody & his WAY BACK machine?! :)

My source tells me Jeremy Graf (guitar) and Dave Ridarick (bass) both worked at the Turtles on Memorial Drive.

Additionally, my source tells me the opening band will also take you WAY back:

Even if you don't remember the band, you'll remember the guitar player from watching MetalWorks on TV69 :headbang:

Last edited by a moderator:
My source tells me Jeremy Graf (guitar) and Dave Ridarick (bass) both worked at the Turtles on Memorial Drive.

Additionally, my source tells me the opening band will also take you WAY back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPPum-feEvg

Even if you don't remember the band, you'll remember the guitar player from watching MetalWorks on TV69 :headbang:

Oh Hell Yeah! And Yeah, I remember the Band & their only hit The Swinging Richards, and their song was "Dirty Words" Plus, I won a Thrashing contest @ Harlow's in Stone Moutain to be on Metalworks!!! :headbang: IF ANYONE in the ATL has any VHS tapes of any of those shows, I was on one of them, but didn't have a VCR @ the time! They were really expensive then! :(

I won a Thrashing contest @ Harlow's in Stone Mountain to be on Metalworks!!! :headbang:

:lol: Why does it not surprise me that YOU won the thrashing contest!
I used to go to Harlow's all the time for Heavy Metal Sunday...it RULED!!! :headbang:

Actually, Harlow's is where I saw the SCORPIONS: WORLD WIDE LIVE movie, as well; it's also where I saw MSG's video for ROCK WILL NEVER DIE for the first time. I always liked how they played videos between bands while they changed the equipment out, and it always seemed to be videos you wouldn't normally see on MTV...you know -- the GOOD shit -- like Michael Schenker!

Yeah, we'd go hang out in the parking lot over at Village Square and polish off a few bottles of Mad Dog while we waited for the doors to open at Harlow's...good times!

I SOOOO want to come down for this!! :cry:

We SOOOO wish you could be here for the show! I know that you are, without a doubt, their number one fan outside of ATL :kickass:

At least you can count on Kathy to post some more cool videos, like this one:

Last edited by a moderator:
New interview with Jeremy Graf just posted today on The Silver Tongue:

Jeremy Graf interview

Riggs Returns – One Night Affair

November 21, 2009

Notably famous for the opening song “Radar Rider” of the cult movie classic HEAVY METAL, Riggs will be playing a reunion show at the Loft in the Center Stage complex Saturday November 28.

Last year's 25th anniversary show was such a success they decided to play again this year.

Riggs formed when guitarists Jerry Riggs and Jeremy Graf settled down in Atlanta with Dave Ridarick on bass and Steve Carlisle on drums. Their band, Raggedy Anne, fronted by lead vocalist Don Train, opened for AC/DC (with Bon Scott), Judas Priest, UFO (with Michael Schenker) and Rush to name a few. When a demo produced by Nazareth guitarist Manny Charlton failed to get the band signed, Train left, and the band became the four piece Riggs in January 1980.

By December of ‘80, the band had secured a deal with Irving Azoff’s Full Moon/Warner Bros. label. Riggs’ two contributions to the HEAVY METAL soundtrack, produced by Roy Thomas Baker (Queen) were released in late ‘81 with the movie, and went gold soon thereafter. The Riggs album, produced by Andy Johns (Rolling Stones, Zeppelin, etc) followed in ‘82 with limited fanfare, but good reviews (notably in England’s Kerrang magazine). The band worked to promote the record with various dates and a tour through the South supporting Rush, but was plagued by poor management, and little record company support. While recording their follow up album, the group's label was dissolved, resulting in the loss of their deal. With limited forward momentum, the group began to unravel, and by the end of ‘83 called it quits. Jerry Riggs went on to play with Pat Travers and Jeremy Graf later played with the Georgia Satellites.

TST had the Chance to ask Jeremy Graf about Riggs’s history and the reunion show at the Loft.

TST: How was RIGGS discovered?

Jeremy: The four of us had been in a band called Raggedy Anne before Riggs, and had been managed by Scottish band Nazareth’s manager. Manny Charlton (Nazareth guitarist) had done our demo, and we came close to getting a deal. When that didn’t happen, our singer, Don Train, decided to move back North. We then made a demo with Jerry on vocals that got into the hands of super-manager, Irv Azoff. With his interest, there came other record companies calling, and finally, with his added incentive of songs in his HEAVY METAL movie (and a promise of a TWO album deal) we signed with his Full Moon/Warner Bros. label.

TST: Why was the RIGGS debut album never released on CD?

Jeremy: Since CDs didn’t come out till ‘85 or so, we missed the first round. As far as why it hasn’t been reissued, I’m not sure, legally, where the rights for the original recordings stand. If there were interest, I’m sure we’d find out.

TST: RIGGS is perhaps most recognized from your contributions to the HEAVY METAL soundtrack; why did “Radar Rider” and “Heartbeat” not appear on the debut album?

Jeremy: Having been mixed by the amazing Roy Thomas Baker, they sounded completely different than the Andy Johns produced songs on our album. If Roy had done our album as he wanted to, they absolutely would have been.

TST: I’ve heard rumors there was a second RIGGS album that was recorded but never released; is there any chance these recordings will ever see the light of day?

Jeremy: We had about half the record done with Jeff Glixman (Kansas) producing when our label head, Irv Azoff, became the head of MCA Records. With that, his Warner Bros. label was the least of his concerns and our 2nd album deal disintegrated. The tracks we had completed sounded great, and would be fun to release at some point.

TST: What have you been up to in the years since RIGGS disbanded?

Jeremy: When Riggs folded, I moved to Los Angeles and played for the next nine years (85-94) in exactly nine different bands. All had great potential, but was each lacking something (great charisma with not great tunes or vice versa). When I moved back to Atlanta with my soon-to-be bride (the real prize from LA), I played for a couple years with old friends the Georgia Satellites and finally got to play festivals in Europe (Denmark, Switzerland, Sweden, Belgium). It was a great experience, but not long term. Soon after, my wife and I moved to Chicago (her home) and started a family. I play all the time, have friends over for jams

TST: What guitar players did you admire when you were first learning to play that impressed or inspired you?

Jeremy: I became an early period Elvis (rock, rhythm and blues) fanatic at 7, and have remained a complete music addict ever since. Early Jeff Beck, Leslie West, early Brian May and Mick Ronson have always been my favorite players, but there are hundreds of wonderful guitarists I’ve enjoyed. As for today, Jeff Beck is still amazing, but even all the great players now just remind me of aspects of my original favorites (or of themselves in their prime). Still, I’m always inspired by a nice touch and note choice.

TST: Your first full-fledged reunion show took place in May 2008; will video (or audio) from that show be made available for sale to the general public?

Jeremy: There are some more professional clips, nicely mixed by our old sound man Ken Coor that are coming out here and there, but, at this point, there is no talk of a more commercial venture.

TST: Is the reunion show on November 28th just for the enjoyment of RIGGS and their fans, or is this a precursor for things to come from the band? Is there any chance we’ll see new music from RIGGS? Will the show be filmed or recorded for commercial release?

Jeremy: At this point, we’re doing this show for ourselves and our friends and families (Jerry’s and my wife, for example, have never seen the band). We had such a great time at the 25 year (!!!) reunion last year to honor our wonderful roadie, Marshall Downing, we wanted to get together again. We’ve all stayed good friends through the years, and always enjoyed getting together on the rare occasions. As for recording or filming, I’m not aware of any plans, but anything is possible.