Anthrax are so.....

cobhc

Amiga Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2003
Nottingham, England.
Fucking awesome! I've been spinning some of their old albums over the weekend, and man I forgot how good these guys were. I'm talking pre Bush era Anthrax, and I just can't believe they never got more exposure, and didn't get as big as they should have. Also I'm loving the huge low mids and chunkiness of their rhythm tone back in the day, even making me gas for a Black-13 Pedal, or a Marshall Head and a TC Electronics Boost pedal that Scott used. Never seen a bad word said about these guys, anyone else agree with me about them?

Ok, they are pretty good.
But honestly, I dont think that they are that good.
They got the attention they deserved, if you put it like that.

Yeah, maybe you're right. They're just one of those bands that I see very little bad said about, even with the Rap Metal thing with Public Enemy. But then again maybe you need bad press to make it in the music world.

I was 13 in 1988 and a hardcore Anthrax fan (still am for the most part)....I was into the whole skateboard shorts & metal shirt look + obligatory Belladonna mullet. Fun days.

Then when Sound of White Noise came out it was a revelation for me. It's one of the very rare times where I specifically remember hearing an album for the first time and being floored by it. I was browsing the racks in a metal record store in Melbourne and as soon as they put it on I bolted to the counter to ask what the hell it was. Today it sounds murky as hell from a production standpoint, but I still love it.

Can't say I've felt quite the same way about anything they've done since, but John Bush was the best thing that ever happened to them.

Yeah, maybe you're right. They're just one of those bands that I see very little bad said about, even with the Rap Metal thing with Public Enemy. But then again maybe you need bad press to make it in the music world.

Yeah, I cant say that they are a bad band, or a really good band either.
And Im actually in love with Public Enemy(I listened to oldschool hiphop before going in to the metalscene.). :lol:
But as I said before, I dont think that they have made too much music that really strikes you as really well composed or anything, but they sure deserve the attention they have got through the years.

I was way into Anthrax in the late 80's. I kind of left them behind so to speak, haven't listened to much that they've done since. But I still spin one of their old albums now and then and I really enjoy it.

I was way into Anthrax in the late 80's. I kind of left them behind so to speak, haven't listened to much that they've done since. But I still spin one of their old albums now and then and I really enjoy it.

pretty much my like me

I was 13 in 1988 and a hardcore Anthrax fan (still am for the most part)....I was into the whole skateboard shorts & metal shirt look + obligatory Belladonna mullet. Fun days.

Then when Sound of White Noise came out it was a revelation for me. It's one of the very rare times where I specifically remember hearing an album for the first time and being floored by it. I was browsing the racks in a metal record store in Melbourne and as soon as they put it on I bolted to the counter to ask what the hell it was. Today it sounds murky as hell from a production standpoint, but I still love it.

Can't say I've felt quite the same way about anything they've done since, but John Bush was the best thing that ever happened to them.

I can't say I was much of a fan of anything they did with Bush, I like a few of the newer tracks. I always loved Joey's vocals, same with Souza for Exodus, matter of personal taste like anything. I'm just trying to hang onto what was for me, a better era of music. I absolutely love old school stuff. I guess I'm reliving an era that I was too young to experience the first time around. And to be honest, it's likely my older brothers faults that I like 80's bands so much, but I'm so fucking glad they turned me onto bands like this. :)

And I think song writing wise, they're not mega catchy or technical, just fucking heavy, they were very fast and heavy for their time back then.

I've always loved Spreading the Disease, Beladonna has such a fantastic voice (I love his work on Lone Justice, among others), and that album at least is much more "classic metal" a la Priest/Dio than old school thrash, which is the genre the band often seems to be placed in (OST is often WAY too close to punk for comfort for me and I often just find it boring, though, so the reason I like StD is that it's not in the least like that). For a perfect example of the kind of 80s I like, one need look no further than...

STARS!!!!!!! :headbang::headbang::headbang::worship:

Last edited by a moderator:
Among the Living and State of Euphoria really turned me on to Anthrax and that sound of the Marshall and Boogie mixed together. Always loved that sound!

Man, Scott's right hand is like Jon Schaffer's, just deadly. His downpicking is so fast and tight. And they were so tight live as a band as well.

I used to really like old Anthrax as they were heavy but funny too. However with John Bush their songs got better, the band seemed more focused and in many ways darker/heavier. SOWN was also one of those instant classics for me - just kills every time I crank the noise.

Oh yeah and Scott's right hand has always been an inspiration.

I've always loved Spreading the Disease, Beladonna has such a fantastic voice (I love his work on Lone Justice, among others), and that album at least is much more "classic metal" a la Priest/Dio than old school thrash, which is the genre the band often seems to be placed in (OST is often WAY too close to punk for comfort for me and I often just find it boring, though, so the reason I like StD is that it's not in the least like that). For a perfect example of the kind of 80s I like, one need look no further than...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MEEYYWUcLM

STARS!!!!!!! :headbang::headbang::headbang::worship:
HEARIN AID FTW

Hahaha, yeah, I was afraid that might be confusing - OST = Old-school thrash (not saying I've ever seen that acronym used before, but I had just mentioned old-school thrash before I wrote OST, so I hoped people might be able to put it together...whoops :))

Hahaha, yeah, I was afraid that might be confusing - OST = Old-school thrash (not saying I've ever seen that acronym used before, but I had just mentioned old-school thrash before I wrote OST, so I hoped people might be able to put it together...whoops :))

hahahaha ... ok fair enough ... my eyes have been going a little crossed on me today, been missing some obvious things

they kick ass in all eras. Belladonna AND Bush.

True..but Belladonna ftw imo. They were at their best with these classics imo:

1841.jpg

Among%20The%20Living.jpg