EQ Pedals question!

DURBANS

Feb 2, 2005
Hi

I'm considering buying an eq pedal to use as a volume boost and mid boost for leads.

I already got an MXR 10 Band eq which I use on the amp's parallel loop to get my overall sound, so I'll be adding an additional eq unit in front of the amp to get my volume and mid boost.

Now, I was thinking about getting the MXR 6 Band eq (Phase 90 sized) but then I noted it hasn't got a Preamp fader, just the 6 bands of equalization.

How will I get a level or volume boost whitout this feature? Or, just by boosting the mids on the eq will make it sound louder?

What should I do for what I need? Is the MXR 6 Band good enough or should I get the BOSS GE-7 which has a Preamp fader?

You got me wrong, I don't need a GAIN boost, just a volume boost with a bit of mids, keeping the same gain.

im pretty sure it will be hard to boost the volume on an already distorted channel without increasing the gain. you just need another channel with the master volume set higher.

Hi Durbans, I'm pretty sure you will have to run a pedal like the GE-7 through the fx loop if you're using the gain from your amp as your distortion rather than another stomp box. The other guitarist from my band bought one to use with his 5150 and it does next to nothing in the front end of the amp when distorted but works fine for what you want in the loop. As Sybolic and Abigail says you would need to use it after the distortion, therefore needing to go though the fx loop.