EQ Concepts and what they really do.

I just recently was thinking what the word 'cut' in relation to EQ meant and what it actually does. When we say a EQ 'boost' it implies a volume increase of something audible, then when we say 'cut' it should mean remove the cut frequencies. So I opened up the built in EQ in cubase 5 and cut the entire frequency spectrum to max but I could still hear the exact same signal as before applying that extreme EQ (it was just softer) so when we say 'cut' a frequency, are we actually just lowering the volume of it, oppose to removing it entirely?

Depends on how many dB you add or remove.
Some are pretty clinical, I sure they could remove the frequency entirely.

I'm hardly an expert though.

You're just reducing the amplitude of the frequencies, not actually removing them. As far as I know, this is true for all filters, I'm not sure even FFT filters can really just snip out a particular frequency all the way to -
inf

"Boosting" a frequency means that you are making the frequency more audible by increasing the volume of the frequency.
"Cutting" a frequency means that you are making the frequency less audible by decreasing the volume of the frequency.

Any questions?

If you cut it (zero it out in its absolute value) in the frequency domain then that particular frequency component is gone as long as you don't convert it back to the time domain - then it is introduced again as noise component (both FFT and inverse FFT are never ideal).

"Boosting" a frequency means that you are making the frequency more audible by increasing the volume of the frequency.
"Cutting" a frequency means that you are making the frequency less audible by decreasing the volume of the frequency.

Any questions?

That's what I already said. Its a volume adjustment not a removal of frequency, try cut the entire frequencie range out i.e. Take a signal, then Hipass, low pass and use wide Q's in the middle 2 bands and cut everything to maximum. Ull find you can hear everything still, only softer. Hence 'cut' means lower volume and not 'remove'

That's what I already said. Its a volume adjustment not a removal of frequency, try cut the entire frequencie range out i.e. Take a signal, then Hipass, low pass and use wide Q's in the middle 2 bands and cut everything to maximum. Ull find you can hear everything still, only softer. Hence 'cut' means lower volume and not 'remove'

I'm confused...you posted the thread asking the question and he answered it, and you're trying to educate him? huh?

Of course cutting just means lowering the volume, EQ is just a gain adjustment for different frequency ranges. Cutting is the opposite of boosting, not some magical "entirely remove all of these frequencies...by 3dBs" that doesn't even make sense really...

Not exactly a difficult concept. Actually, and this is the whole truth, it has to do with showing a particular section of the frequency range an increased or decreased impedance so as to filter it out and separate it from the rest of the range. To do this, you either create a short path out of the intended signal path for this signal so as to dump it somewhere else, or bypass an in line resistor with a capacitor so as to make that range of frequencies not affected by the resistor while all others are. You will achieve different results depending on how and where it is done, for instance impedance filters as part of an active gain stage have a rolloff of 12dB/oct as opposed to a simple passive filter which has an aspect of 6dB/oct rolloff. Digital in the box EQ's can approximate this, but only a tuned analog circuit can really pull it off in a pleasing way... but yes, you cannot simply "remove" a frequency, only "attenuate" them, and typically the attenuation is sloped or humped and not a single pure frequency, other frequencies in the near vicinity are affected as well. Don't forget that when you attenuate a frequency by way of hump/valley method as opposed to slopes (HP/LP) that you are altering the harmonic structure of the source material. This can be a potentially dangerous thing.

This is all well understood common knowledge.

Contradicting myself? O...K! It was a rhetorical question merely asking for opinions on the matter to make more sense of it. I already answered it by saying I noticed that cutting actually is only lowering the volume. Just want opinions and to hear if anyone knows if there is anything that actually 'cuts'. As in removes etc.

Not exactly a difficult concept. Actually, and this is the whole truth, it has to do with showing a particular section of the frequency range an increased or decreased impedance so as to filter it out and separate it from the rest of the range. To do this, you either create a short path out of the intended signal path for this signal so as to dump it somewhere else, or bypass an in line resistor with a capacitor so as to make that range of frequencies not affected by the resistor while all others are. You will achieve different results depending on how and where it is done, for instance impedance filters as part of an active gain stage have a rolloff of 12dB/oct as opposed to a simple passive filter which has an aspect of 6dB/oct rolloff. Digital in the box EQ's can approximate this, but only a tuned analog circuit can really pull it off in a pleasing way... but yes, you cannot simply "remove" a frequency, only "attenuate" them, and typically the attenuation is sloped or humped and not a single pure frequency, other frequencies in the near vicinity are affected as well. Don't forget that when you attenuate a frequency by way of hump/valley method as opposed to slopes (HP/LP) that you are altering the harmonic structure of the source material. This can be a potentially dangerous thing.

This is all well understood common knowledge.

Thx man :)

Great reply fron JakeAC5253 which basically sums it all up. One more thing to consider is that the steeper the filter gets, the more it affects the phase of the signal.

Great reply fron JakeAC5253 which basically sums it all up. One more thing to consider is that the steeper the filter gets, the more it affects the phase of the signal.

a nice visualisation of this is to tick the phase box in reaeq, it shows you the phase response of the filters you've set up