EQ LIKE A PRO...?

Moonlapse said:
Oddly, despite all my love for highs, I usually don't do shelves above 4k. My general high-shelf frequency is usually in between 1 and 2k. I try to boost as much of the good and useful frequencies as I can. Sometimes boosting the high-highs can just add harshness. I suppose it'd vary from person to person. Definitely interested in hearing what some of you guys have to say about it.

So you boost no matter what? You never try and cut to clear things up?

I'm not afraid to boost like crazy if something needs it. I think that gearslutz "cut only" mentality is a sure-fire way to a dull and lifeless mix. My mixes got a lot better when I stopped worrying about such things; there's a reason why the gain knob on EQs goes both ways. Whatever it needs!

moose209 said:
I've been told that to do this right you should not only listen to the frequency but look at the meter on your eq - I'm using an ssl as an example cause thats what I was shown on - but you find as you boost and then sweep through the general area the signal will only peak at certain areas - these are the ones to cut - bizarly they are often around 10% below the fundamental or integer harmonic - so are undertones or noise frequencies. (makes sense)

I've found that the q width on many plug ins is way too narrow and just causes self oscillation so when using plug ins I always try to open the Q a little - especially with waves - why the fuck you'd need a Q as narrow as 100 of an octave is beyond me - surely 1 /12th of an octave is the smallest you'll ever need?

This can be a place to start but I would never use visual as a final say so in audio.

As far as the Q of 100...I agree.....it serious turns into a oscillation effect more then anything and often makes the source sounds fake. But in the same hand that can be what you are looking for.

moose209 said:
by peak I mean overload - although to be fair at +18 most things peak so definately dont go over + 12/15 in my book

+ 12/15 boost? That is a lot. To much if you ask me. I usually boost no more then 3 dB. Usually being the key word.

Matt Smith said:
I'm not afraid to boost like crazy if something needs it. I think that gearslutz "cut only" mentality is a sure-fire way to a dull and lifeless mix. My mixes got a lot better when I stopped worrying about such things; there's a reason why the gain knob on EQs goes both ways. Whatever it needs!

Another great way to look at it. In the end if it sounds good then it sounds good.

chadsxe said:
This is a technique that a lot of people pratice. I don't know if any of you know slipperman over at the marsh but he is preaching this over and over. If you hear something at 4000 cycles you like then there is a chance you might like something at 2000 cycles or 8000 cycles.

I know from my limited studies into psychoacoustics or as one my class mates put it PSYCHIC ACOUSTIC - shit I need a fucking nappy that day - anyway - We are very sensitive to 1K yes? So is this the mid point of the spectrum for the effects of harmonics and octaves on our perception of what the pitch of a note/noise/signal/frequency is. I've been thinking of frequencies in terms of notes recently - must be all that acid my dad did in his days.

Anyway I digress - is it as simple as above 1 k our perception is dictated by whats below the fundamental and below 1k whats above the fundamental?

Have I made myself clear on that one?

Although that doesn't explain why I regualrily get undertones effecting my bass guitar and guitar frequencies.

moose209 said:
I know from my limited studies into psychoacoustics or as one my class mates put it PSYCHIC ACOUSTIC - shit I need a fucking nappy that day - anyway - We are very sensitive to 1K yes? So is this the mid point of the spectrum for the effects of harmonics and octaves on our perception of what the pitch of a note/noise/signal/frequency is. I've been thinking of frequencies in terms of notes recently - must be all that acid my dad did in his days.

Anyway I digress - is it as simple as above 1 k our perception is dictated by whats below the fundamental and below 1k whats above the fundamental?

Have I made myself clear on that one?

Although that doesn't explain why I regualrily get undertones effecting my bass guitar and guitar frequencies.

It depends on who you ask. Like I said there is a chance but it is not always a sure thing. Just another tool in the bag to try.

Matt Smith said:

Yeah man, I totally subscribe to that mentality.

chadsaxe said:
So you boost no matter what? You never try and cut to clear things up?

No, not at all. I don't know how that misunderstanding came about. Maybe I'm wording myself badly since its 2am, but that's not the case.

Pretty much what Matt said above. If it needs boosting, I'll boost it. If it needs cutting, I'll cut it. I won't cut to boost, if you know what I mean. I've tried it a few times but it's never worked for me.

Moonlapse said:
Yeah man, I totally subscribe to that mentality.

No, not at all. I don't know how that misunderstanding came about. Maybe I'm wording myself badly since its 2am, but that's not the case.

Pretty much what Matt said above. If it needs boosting, I'll boost it. If it needs cutting, I'll cut it. I won't cut to boost, if you know what I mean. I've tried it a few times but it's never worked for me.

Got ya...

I never sweep!

To quote Michael Stavrou:

The human ear is great at comparing between toggled states (A:B). It is not so good at following slow changes because it quickly adapts and loses perspective. So rather than compare 50 wrong frequency choices by sweeping, try comparing just two good ones. This technique is guaranteed to strengthen your ear while maintaining your perspective and sensitivity."

His advice is:

1) Switch out the EQ.
2) Listen to the raw sound
3) Imagine your idea, dream sound.
4) Dial up an EQ that you hope (or guess) will match your imagination.
5) Pop in the EQ.

At that moment you wil be comparing an EQ setting with your imagination and you'll instantly know where it hits and where it misses. This technique trains your ears very rapidly to learn what, say, 3k really sounds like. When you punch the EQ in you'll think "Gee, I really thought 3k was highet than than" or "oh, that's really lumpy, I must have meant a higher frequency".

The moment you pop in the EQ and realise you missed, pop it out! It takes about 1-2 seconds to realise when you missed your mark. Do not continue listening to the bad EQ and don't sweep!

Adjust the EQ further with it popped out and then pop it in again. This approach keeps your perspective pure while strengthening your ear enormously over a short time. It's fun and effective. The hardest part is resisting the urge to sweep ...

Remember: listen - imagine - guess - compare - listen - imagine - guess - compare - listen - imagine - guess - compare.

This is from his book "Mixing with your mind" which made me a MUCH better mixer (I mainly mix and remix electronica, so I couldn't use all the great stuff on guitars, pianos and drums that he covers in the book, yet). I'd actually be bold and say that this is by far the best book on mixing and recording that is out there.

It's not cheap but it's worth every cent and you can get it at:

http://www.mixingwithyourmind.com

Not sweeping and learning to compare-EQ like he does is really an eye-opener. Try it, it's actually like A/B-ing to a professional production!

My 2 cents: I won't go back to sweeping ever again!

Nice one Smy1 thanks for that - I've heard a lot about that book - and alot about the author not liking excerpts from it posted on forums - see dogs on acid forum - there was a whole thing about copyright - but needless to say a lot of people recommend the book and the passage about how to set a compressor was really good...before they took it down.

I think I shall definately buy his book.

Has anybody tried that dvd - Mix It Like Record - by Charles Dye?

moose209 said:
Nice one Smy1 thanks for that - I've heard a lot about that book - and alot about the author not liking excerpts from it posted on forums - see dogs on acid forum - there was a whole thing about copyright - but needless to say a lot of people recommend the book and the passage about how to set a compressor was really good...before they took it down.

I think I shall definately buy his book.

Has anybody tried that dvd - Mix It Like Record - by Charles Dye?

I was contemplating not quoting the book and just passing on what I learned and how I do it, but I think I owe a lot to Stav and therefore I wanted to plug his book which is AWESOME and worth more than double the money he charges.

dude - no worries I was just mentioning the fuss that was made by him on another forum - I think him being quoted has sold more than harmed him - and I bet he looks at it that way now. I agree credit where credit is due - should have put a smiley in there.

Definately is a pricey book - but everyone that owns it says its fantastic - a book about approach and not rules - man thats what I wanna learn.