EQ Lessons

Jevil

Pro Evolution Fucker
Apr 18, 2006
Basque Country
www.soulitude-web.com
Bloody EQ, me and EQ we are not friends.
My problem is that I find very hard to sit each of the instruments in their natural espace. For the kicks I have to turn up fader very much, so much that I think something is wrong in my EQ, and guitars and bass seem to be on the same "lane" and I get a sound that is not bad but not as good as I'd like.
In which frecuencies do you sit every instrument? What do you boost or unboost¿?. I want to hear for everything clear and loud without battles of volume between bass, guitars, kicks, toms...
I've only mixed 5 edited albums in my life, good quality, but not enough, I want your ideas to learn and put them on practice. Come on you experts!!

Is there any guide for mixing metal? If "yes", please tell me where can I find it.
If not, what are you waiting for?

Here's the settings I originally (when I started learning about mixing properly) used:

Kick - narrow band cut at 80 Hz and a boost at 100 Hz, quite a bit of cutting through 350 Hz to 2 kHz, small narrow band boost at 4 kHz or so.
Snare - highpass at 150 Hz, semi-wide boost at 2 kHz
Toms - highpass at 120 Hz, high shelf cut at 350 Hz, small boost at 4 kHz
Overhead - highpass at 600 Hz, small cut at 800 Hz, high shelf boost at 6 kHz

Guitars - highpass at 100 Hz, small narrow cut at 800 Hz, high shelf boost at 4 kHz, lowpass at 12 kHz

Bass (low range) - narrow boost at 80 Hz, narrow cut at 100 Hz (compare to kick drum EQs), lowpass at 350 Hz
Bass (high range with distortion) - highpass at 800 Hz, small boost at 2 or 4 kHz

Synth - highpass at 200 Hz (you wouldn't believe how much low stuff is on even very high pitch string synths :S)

Those should get you started :)