guitar EQ question....

John_C

formerly Skeksis268
Dec 30, 2008
Coventry, UK
www.myspace.com
Is there a proper graphic eq available for guitars? i mean more than 12 channels?

Also, Is the any way other than guitar -> DI -> rack EQ -> Reamp box -> amp to get a normal line level rack eq into my guitar rig before my amp? I'm almost certain that there isn't, but then again i'm even more certain there are lots of people here who know a lot better than me..........any ideas??

nah i mean BEFORE my amp, ie before distortion

Why before distortion?

Surely if you're re-amping, you'll want to keep as much of the signal true as possible?

It'll only add noise and degradation to your guitar's signal.

i want to be able to have control over the tone of my pickups, and be albe to alter it. Different levels of different frequencies before distortion makes the distortion react differently. There are quite a few guitar pedals out there that would do for this but none with very many bands.

Sorry about posting in the wrong place, i wont be doing it again.

This isn't really for reamping, but for my live rig

For your live rig, then for sure stick a graphic in the effects loop of your amp.

I've seen and heard them be used to great effect.

Some heads will let you only have the effects loop be activated over specific channels (eg; clean / distortion) so without knowing it might be easy to keep your clean sounds and EQ your heavy sound.

Maybe i'm not explaining this well.............

Imagine the tone control on a guitar, only its not just a tone control, it's a fully functional graphic EQ.

Of course that wouldn't be practical to have in the body of the guitar, so it'd have to be something the guitar output is plugged into.

This would allow the tone of the pickups to be changed to a certain extent.

Does that make any more sense?

Maybe i'm not explaining this well.............

Imagine the tone control on a guitar, only its not just a tone control, it's a fully functional graphic EQ.

Of course that wouldn't be practical to have in the body of the guitar, so it'd have to be something the guitar output is plugged into.

This would allow the tone of the pickups to be changed to a certain extent.

Does that make any more sense?

What you're suggesting is something along the lines of a wah pedal - with the EQ in, and out [at the respective heel up/down points]?

Then you'd be able to control the EQ settings in an invariable amount of increments..

mmhmm well that would be an interesting pedal. The original idea i had was for something a little more static such as a graphic, but the variable EQ pedal idea sounds awesome. I'm in the process of building a prototype all-in-one guitar control floor unit and i might just add that in.........all credit goes to you for the idea though

Is there a proper graphic eq available for guitars? i mean more than 12 channels?

Also, Is the any way other than guitar -> DI -> rack EQ -> Reamp box -> amp to get a normal line level rack eq into my guitar rig before my amp?
Yeah you could go DI-->mic pre-->rack eq-->reamp-->amp

An easier option would be to use the parametric Eq available in many digital pedal boards.

there are no rules, use ur ears
best piece of audio advice anyone could give!

Thanks for the advice people, i think i've decided on what i'll do for now, which is put up with things not being perfect as i build my new board and incorperate some EQ into it.

As it is though i'm quite liking what happens when i put my rack eq straight after my guitar, with no settings atm........it should sound dreadful but it really doesn't, it gives it a much fuller tone, and seems to make note definition down low much better as well.......hoorray for complete disregard to the laws of tone and impedances :p

Yup, EQ before the amp is very powerful. Half the reason the tubescreamer helps tighten up the bass response on distorted amps is because it rolls off the low end of the guitar tone before it hits the amp.

The Boogie Mark is a good example of this. It's TMB EQ is pre-distortion. Then the signal gets distorted, and the GEQ is post. You can get really tight low end by bringing down the low end before the distortion and boosting the low end afterwards. It prevents all these runaway harmonics in the low end that cause things to get flubby.

In theory, you could probably simulate different pickup sounds with a EQ before the amp, too. It would also correct any displeasing sounding frequencies that your guitar may resonate at.

A GEQ before and after the preamp would give you incredible amounts of flexibility, but sometimes more knobs just makes things easier to get lost in bad tones.

I got the original idea from reading Jbroll's tubescreamer guide actually.

I've started a new thread in the equipment section titled schematics as i'm trying to find some way of building a simple graphic, i've found one so far, but i just wondered if anyone else had any others lying around?

Thanks for the advice guys